European Surgical Outcomes Study (EuSOS)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01203605|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : September 16, 2010
Last Update Posted : September 5, 2012
The European Surgical Outcomes Study (EuSOS) is a multi-centre, international cohort study of peri-operative care and clinical outcomes for patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery.
Participating centres throughout Europe will contribute routine clinical data describing all eligible patients who undergo surgery from 4th April 2011 to 11th April 2011. Patients will then be followed until hospital discharge (or for a maximum of 60 days) for duration of hospital stay and hospital mortality. Routine clinical data will also be collected for those patients admitted to critical care at any stage after surgery but during the same hospital admission. Specific objectives are to describe clinical outcomes and standards of peri-operative care for patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery in Europe.
|Condition or disease|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||46985 participants|
|Official Title:||European Surgical Outcomes Study: A Multi-centre, International Seven Day Evaluation of Patient Care and Clinical Outcomes for Patients Undergoing Non-cardiac Surgery|
|Study Start Date :||April 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||June 2011|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 2011|
In-patient adult non-cardiac surgery
Consecutive patients admitted to participating centres undergoing elective and non-elective non-cardiac surgery commencing during the seven day study period with a planned overnight stay. All eligible patients undergoing surgery within the seven day study period will be recruited wherever possible.
- Mortality [ Time Frame: In-hospital (maximum 60 days) ]Mortality prior to actual hospital discharge regardless of location censored at 60 days.
- Duration of hospital stay [ Time Frame: Within single hospital admission ]Time in days from day of surgery to actual hospital discharge regardless of location
- Planned admission to critical care [ Time Frame: Within same hospital admission ]Post-operative admission to critical care which was planned and agreed prior to surgery
- Unplanned admission to critical care [ Time Frame: Within same hospital admission ]Unplanned post-operative admission to critical care at any stage in the same hospital admission
- Duration of critical care stay [ Time Frame: Within same hospital admission ]Time in days from admission to critical care to actual discharge from critical care or death
- 28 day mortality [ Time Frame: 28 days ]Mortality up to 28 days after primary surgical procedure
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01203605
Hide Study Locations
|Brno, Czech Republic|
|London, United Kingdom|
|Study Chair:||Rupert Pearse, MBBS FRCA MD||Queen Mary's University of London, UK|
|Principal Investigator:||Andrew Rhodes, MBBS FRCA||St Georges Hospital, London UK|
|Principal Investigator:||Rui Moreno, MD||Hospital de Santo António dos Capuchos, Lisboa, Portugal|
|Principal Investigator:||Paolo Pelosi, MD||University of Insubria, Varese, Italy.|
|Principal Investigator:||Claudia Spies, MD||Charite University, Berlin, Germany|
|Principal Investigator:||Jean-Louis Vincent, MD PhD||Erasme Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.|
|Principal Investigator:||Benoit Vallet, MD PhD||Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Lille, France.|
|Principal Investigator:||Philip Metnitz, MD||Medizinische Universität Wien, Austria.|
|Principal Investigator:||Peter Bauer, PhD||Medizinische Universität Wien, Austria.|
|Principal Investigator:||Andreas Hoeft, MD PhD||University Hospital Bonn, Germany|