Inpatient Attending Physician Rotation Duration Study
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00930111|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 30, 2009
Last Update Posted : September 1, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Inpatient Attending Physician Staffing Model||Other: 2-week rotation Other: 4-week rotation||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||62 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Crossover Assignment|
|Primary Purpose:||Health Services Research|
|Official Title:||Inpatient Attending Physician Rotation Duration Study|
|Study Start Date :||June 2009|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||July 2010|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||December 2010|
Active Comparator: 2 weeks
Attending physicians are physician-of-records for traditional inpatient ward team (housestaff and medical students) for 2 weeks.
Other: 2-week rotation
Attending physician is assigned to a 2-week rotation.
Placebo Comparator: 4 weeks
Attending physicians are physician-of-records for traditional inpatient ward team (housestaff and medical students) for 4 weeks.
Other: 4-week rotation
Attending physician is assigned to a 4-week rotation.
- Patients' unplanned urgent visits to the health care system. [ Time Frame: 30 days after discharge ]
- Resident physicians' evaluation of attending physicians' performance. [ Time Frame: During 14 or 28 day rotations ]
- Medical students' evaluations of attending physicians' performance. [ Time Frame: During 14 or 28 day rotations ]
- Urgent visits to health care system among attending physicians' outpatient panel (if attending physician has an outpatient panel) [ Time Frame: During and 14 to 28 days after provider's rotation ]
- Attending physicians' work-life balance, perceived stress, and perceived burn-out. [ Time Frame: During 14 to 28 day rotations ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00930111
|United States, Illinois|
|Stroger Hospital of Cook County|
|Chicago, Illinois, United States, 60612|