Isoflavone in Prostate-specific Antigen Recurrent Prostate Cancer
Primary Outcome Measures:
Decrease in rate of serum PSA rise
Secondary Outcome Measures:
Adherence to treatment regimens
Quality of life as assessed by FACT-P at baseline and at 12 months of treatment
Modulation of serum testosterone,isoflavone metabolites, and cholesterol
Estimated Enrollment: 27 Study Start Date: November 2003 Estimated Primary Completion Date: February 2007 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
|Biochemical Recurrent Prostate Cancer||Dietary Supplement: Isoflavone||Phase 2|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Non-Randomized
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Phase II Trial of Isoflavone in Prostate-specific Antigen Recurrent Prostate Cancer After Previous Local Therapy.|
- Assess the effect of soy protein/isoflavones serum PSA levels in patients previously treated with radical prostatectomy and external beam radiation therapy. [ Time Frame: Baseline, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months ]
- Assess the effect of soy protein/isoflavones on serum testosterone, isoflavone metabolites, and cholesterol. Assess the effect of soy protein/isoflavones on quality of life of these patients. [ Time Frame: Baseline, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months ]
|Study Start Date:||November 2003|
|Study Completion Date:||November 2007|
|Primary Completion Date:||November 2007 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Dietary Supplement: Isoflavone
Ingested 47 mg of isoflavone in three 8 oz servings per day
Other Name: Soy Dream Enriched, Original or Vanilla, soy milk
- Pretreatment evaluation included a complete medical history, physical examination (including digital rectal examination), serum PSA, free/total testosterone, lipids, serum isoflavone levels (genistein, daidzein, and equol), and assessment of quality of life (Functional Assessment of Cancer Treatment-Prostate, FACT-P questionnaire).
- Whole blood will be obtained prior to initiation of the study to assess for DNA polymorphism.
- Follow-up serum PSA levels to assess efficacy were obtained at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months after initiation of treatment.
- Medical history, physical examination, serum testosterone, lipids, isoflavone, and quality of life were assessed at 6 and 12 months after initiation of treatment.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00596895
|United States, Florida|
|University of Florida Shands|
|Jacksonville, Florida, United States, 32209|
|Principal Investigator:||Charles J. Rosser, MD||University of Florida|