Study Of Gemcitabine Plus AG-013736 Versus Gemcitabine For Advanced Pancreatic Cancer.
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00471146|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 9, 2007
Results First Posted : July 16, 2012
Last Update Posted : July 16, 2012
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Carcinoma, Pancreatic Ductal||Drug: AG-013736 Drug: Gemcitabine Drug: placebo||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||630 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Randomized, Double-Blind Phase 3 Study Of Gemcitabine Plus AG-013736 Versus Gemcitabine Plus Placebo For The First-Line Treatment Of Patients With Locally Advanced, Unresectable Or Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer.|
|Study Start Date :||July 2007|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2009|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||November 2010|
oral administration, starting dose 5 mg twice daily [BID] every day until unacceptable toxicity or tumor progression.Drug: Gemcitabine
intravenous administration at 1,000 mg/m^2 day 1, day 8 and day 15 every 4 weeks (conventional dose) until unacceptable toxicity or tumor progression.
|Active Comparator: B||
intravenous administration at 1,000 mg/m^2 day 1, day 8 and day 15 every 4 weeks (conventional dose) until unacceptable toxicity or tumor progression.Drug: placebo
- Overall Survival (OS) [ Time Frame: Baseline until death or at least 1 year after the randomization of last participant ]Time in weeks from randomization to date of death due to any cause. OS was calculated as (the death date minus the date of randomization plus 1) divided by 7. Death was determined from adverse event data (where outcome was death) or from follow-up contact data (where the participant current status was death).
- Progression Free Survival (PFS) [ Time Frame: Baseline until disease progression or at least 1 year after the randomization of last participant ]Time in weeks from randomization to the first documentation of objective tumor progression or death due to any cause. PFS was calculated as = (first event date minus randomization date plus 1) divided by 7. Tumor progression was determined from oncologic assessment data (where data meet the criteria for progressive disease [PD]), or from adverse event (AE) data (where the outcome was "Death").
- Percentage of Participants With Objective Response (OR) [ Time Frame: Baseline, every 8 weeks until tumor progression or death ]Percentage of participants with OR based assessment of confirmed complete response (CR) or confirmed partial response (PR) according to Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST). Confirmed response were those that persisted on repeat imaging study at least 4 weeks after initial documentation of response. CR was defined as disappearance of all lesions (target and/or non target). PR were those with at least 30 percent decrease in sum of the longest dimensions of target lesions taking as a reference the baseline sum longest dimensions, with non target lesions not increased or absent.
- Duration of Response (DR) [ Time Frame: Baseline until death or at least 1 year after the randomization of last participant ]Time in weeks from the first documentation of objective tumor response to objective tumor progression or death due to any cause. Duration of tumor response was calculated as (the date of the first documentation of objective tumor progression or death due to cancer minus the date of the first CR or PR that was subsequently confirmed plus 1) divided by 7.
- Change From Baseline in European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, Quality of Life Questionnaire Core-30 (EORTC QLQ- C30) Score [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 1 (D1) of each cycle (C2-C13) up to 28 days after the last dose (follow-up) or early withdrawal ]EORTC QLQ-C30: included functional scales (physical, role, cognitive, emotional, and social), global health status (GHS), symptom scales (fatigue, pain, nausea/vomiting), and single items (dyspnoea, appetite loss, insomnia, constipation/diarrhea, and financial difficulties). Most questions used 4- point scale (1 'Not at All' to 4 'Very Much'); 2 questions used 7-point scale (1 'Very Poor' to 7 'Excellent'). Scores averaged, transformed to 0- 100 scale; higher score=better level of functioning or greater degree of symptoms. Change from baseline=Cycle/Day score minus baseline score.
- Change From Baseline in European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire-Pancreatic 26 (EORTC QLQ- PAN26) Score [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 1 (D1) of each cycle (C2-C13) up to 28 days after the last dose (follow-up) or early withdrawal ]QLQ-PAN26 consists of 26 questions (Qs) relating to disease symptoms, treatment (Tx) side effects and emotional issues specific to pancreatic cancer (PC). Questions include on altered bowel habits, pain, dietary changes, disease and Tx-related symptoms and issues related to the emotional and social well-being of participants with PC. All 26 Qs are answered on 4-point Likert scale ranging from '1=not at all' to 4='very much' and subsequently transformed into scales that range from 0-100; higher scores= greater degree of symptoms or treatment side effects and emotional issues.
- Change From Baseline Brief Pain Inventory-short Form (BPI-sf) Score [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 1 (D1) of each cycle (C2-C13) up to 28 days after the last dose (follow-up) or early withdrawal ]BPI-sf is an 11-item self-report questionnaire that is designed to assess the severity and impact of pain on daily functions. BPI-sf are 4 questions that assess pain intensity (worst, least, average, right now) and 7 questions that assess impact of pain on daily functions (general activity, mood, walking ability, normal work, relations with other people, sleep, enjoyment of life). Each question is answered on a scale ranging from 0 to 10; '0=No pain and 10=Pain as bad as you can imagine'. Measure can be scored by item, with lower scores being indicative of less pain or pain interference.
- Change From Baseline in Euro QoL Questionnaire- 5 Dimension (EQ-5D) Health State Profile [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 1 (D1) of each cycle (C2-C13) up to 28 days after the last dose (follow-up) or early withdrawal ]EQ-5D: participant rated questionnaire to assess health-related quality of life in terms of a single utility score. Health State Profile component assesses level of current health for 5 domains: mobility, self-care, usual activities, pain and discomfort, anxiety and depression; 1 indicates better health state (no problems); 3 indicates worst health state (eg, "confined to bed"). Scoring formula developed by EuroQol Group assigns a utility value for each domain in the profile. Score is transformed and results in a total score range -0.594 to 1.000; higher score indicates a better health state.
- Change From Baseline in Euro QoL Questionnaire- 5 Dimension (EQ-5D) VAS Score [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 1 (D1) of each cycle (C2-C13) up to 28 days after the last dose (follow-up) or early withdrawal ]EQ-5D: participant rated questionnaire to assess health-related quality of life in terms of a single index value. The VAS component rates current health state on a scale from 0 (worst imaginable health state) to 100 (best imaginable health state); higher scores indicate a better health state.
- Population Pharmacokinetic (PK) Analysis for Axitinib (AG-013736) [ Time Frame: Day 1 (pre-dose), Day 29, Day 57 and then every 8 weeks up to 23 months ]Data for this Outcome Measure are not reported here because the analysis population includes participants who were not enrolled in this study. ClinicalTrials.gov is designed for reporting results from only those participants who were enrolled in the study and described in the Participant Flow and Baseline Characteristics modules.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00471146
Show 205 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Pfizer CT.gov Call Center||Pfizer|