|May 31, 2011
|May 12, 2014
|April 2014 (final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
|Cardiac toxicity [ Time Frame: between day 1 of cycle 1 and day 28 after the day of final surgery ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
to evaluate the cardiac toxicity of the combination trastuzumab+docetaxel+bevacizumab and trastuzumab+docetaxel+NPLD +/- bevacizumab in comparison to the standard therapy, trastuzumab+docetaxel using a composite endpoint appearing between day 1 of cycle 1 and day 28 after the day of final surgery.
|Same as current
|Complete list of historical versions of study NCT01367028 on ClinicalTrials.gov Archive Site
- Pathological complete response (ypCR) [ Time Frame: up to 22 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
ypCR defined as absence of invasive tumor at time of final surgery
- Total pathological complete response (ytpCR) [ Time Frame: up to 22 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
ytpCR defined as absence of invasive tumor and tumor cells in the breast and the axillar lymphnodes (ypT0 or yDCIS and ypN=0)
- Overall clinical response rate (cORR) [ Time Frame: up to 22 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
cORR defined as the percentage of patients with either a complete clinical response (cCR) or a partial clinical response (cPR), but no ypCR
- Safety evaluation according to patients numbers of AEs, SAEs, lab test abnormalities, cardiac assessment, clinical evaluation [ Time Frame: up to 22 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
Safety (AEs, SAEs, lab test abnormalities, cardiac assessment, clinical evaluation)of the combination trastuzumab and docetaxel with bevacizumab and trastuzumab, docetaxel, and NPLD plus/minus bevacizumab at the time of final surgery
|Same as current
|A Phase II Study of Neoadjuvant Trastuzumab+Docetaxel+NPLD+/-Bevacizumab in Her2-pos. Early Breast Cancer
|Multicentre Randomized Phase II Study of Neoadjuvant Trastuzumab Plus Docetaxel With and Without Bevacizumab and Trastuzumab Plus Docetaxel Plus Non-pegylated Liposome-encapsulated Doxorubicin (NPLD) With and Without Bevacizumab in HER2-positive Early Breast Cancer
Multicenter randomised phase II study of neoadjuvant therapy in HER2 positive early breast cancer. Primary aim is to evaluate the cardiac toxicity of the combined treatment (trastuzumab, docetaxel, bevacizumab, NPLD) in comparison to the standard therapy.
The target study population consists of male and female pre- and postmenopausal patients with HER2-positive, adenocarcinoma of the breast (except inflammatory breast cancer, T4d) scheduled to receive neoadjuvant cytotoxic treatment.
Patients must have pathologically confirmed breast cancer with histologically confirmed HER2 over-expression. At screening, patients must have an adequate left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF); an ECOG performance status of 0 or 1; adequate liver, renal and bone marrow function; and be free of other serious diseases that could affect protocol compliance or interpretation of results.
Patients should not be at increased risk of GI perforation, hypertension, proteinuria, wound healing complications, thromboembolism or hemorrhage. Patients must not have had another primary malignancy that could affect compliance with the protocol or interpretation of results. Patients with central nervous system (CNS) metastases are excluded. Pregnant or lactating females are excluded. Patients with hypertension (>150 mmHG systolic or >100 mmHG diastolic) and patients with a history of GI perforation, abdominal fistula or intra-abdominal abscess within 6 months of study entry are excluded.
Full anticoagulation therapy at study entry is allowed as long as the patient has been on a stable level of anticoagulants for at least 2 weeks at the time of study treatment start.
Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Drug: Trastuzumab, Docetaxel
6 cycles - Day1 (Day22 = Day1): Trastuzumab: 8 mg/kg loading dose (1st cycle) i.v.; 6 mg/kg maintenance dose in subsequent cycles i.v.
Docetaxel: 100 mg/m2 by 60 min i.v. infusion
Other Name: Therapy Arm A
- Drug: Trastuzumab, Docetaxel, Bevacizumab
6 cycles - Day1 (Day22 = Day1): Trastuzumab: 8 mg/kg loading dose (1st cycle) i.v.; 6 mg/kg maintenance dose in subsequent cycles i.v.
Docetaxel: 100 mg/m2 by 60 min i.v. infusion Bevacizumab 15 mg/kg
Other Name: Therapy Arm B
- Drug: Trastuzumab+Docetaxel+NPLD
6 cycles - Day1 (Day22=Day1): Trastuzumab: 8 mg/kg loading dose (1st cycle) i.v.; 6 mg/kg maintenance dose in subsequent cycles i.v.
Docetaxel: 75 mg/m2 by 60 min IV infusion NPLD 50 mg/m2 by 60 min i.v. infusion
Other Name: Therapy Arm C
- Drug: Trastuzumab+Docetaxel+NPLD+Bevacizumab
6 cycles - Day1 (Day22= Day1): Trastuzumab: 8 mg/kg loading dose (1st cycle) i.v.; 6 mg/kg maintenance dose in subsequent cycles i.v.
Docetaxel: 75 mg/m2 by 60 min i.v. infusion NPLD: 50 mg/m2 by 60 min i.v. infusion; Bevacizumab 15 mg/kg
Other Name: Therapy Arm D
- A: Trastuzumab+Docetaxel
Intervention: Drug: Trastuzumab, Docetaxel
- Experimental: B: Trastuzumab+Docetaxel+Bevacizumab
Intervention: Drug: Trastuzumab, Docetaxel, Bevacizumab
- Experimental: C: Trastuzumab+Docetaxel+NPLD
Intervention: Drug: Trastuzumab+Docetaxel+NPLD
- Experimental: D: Trastuzumab+Docetaxel+NPLD+Bevacizumab
Intervention: Drug: Trastuzumab+Docetaxel+NPLD+Bevacizumab
- Chan S, Davidson N, Juozaityte E, Erdkamp F, Pluzanska A, Azarnia N, Lee LW. Phase III trial of liposomal doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide compared with epirubicin and cyclophosphamide as first-line therapy for metastatic breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 2004 Oct;15(10):1527-34.
- Clark GM, Sledge GW Jr, Osborne CK, McGuire WL. Survival from first recurrence: relative importance of prognostic factors in 1,015 breast cancer patients. J Clin Oncol. 1987 Jan;5(1):55-61.
- Cobleigh MA, Langmuir VK, Sledge GW, Miller KD, Haney L, Novotny WF, Reimann JD, Vassel A. A phase I/II dose-escalation trial of bevacizumab in previously treated metastatic breast cancer. Semin Oncol. 2003 Oct;30(5 Suppl 16):117-24.
- Coleman MP, Gatta G, Verdecchia A, Estève J, Sant M, Storm H, Allemani C, Ciccolallo L, Santaquilani M, Berrino F; EUROCARE Working Group. EUROCARE-3 summary: cancer survival in Europe at the end of the 20th century. Ann Oncol. 2003;14 Suppl 5:v128-49.
- Cortes J, Di Cosimo S, Climent MA, Cortés-Funes H, Lluch A, Gascón P, Mayordomo JI, Gil M, Benavides M, Cirera L, Ojeda B, Rodríguez CA, Trigo JM, Vazquez J, Regueiro P, Dorado JF, Baselga J; Spanish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group SOLTI. Nonpegylated liposomal doxorubicin (TLC-D99), paclitaxel, and trastuzumab in HER-2-overexpressing breast cancer: a multicenter phase I/II study. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Jan 1;15(1):307-14. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-1113. Erratum in: Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Mar 1;15(5):1843.
- Crown J, O'Leary M, Ooi WS. Docetaxel and paclitaxel in the treatment of breast cancer: a review of clinical experience. Oncologist. 2004;9 Suppl 2:24-32. Review.
- Eskens FA. Angiogenesis inhibitors in clinical development; where are we now and where are we going? Br J Cancer. 2004 Jan 12;90(1):1-7. Review.
- Ferrara N, Davis-Smyth T. The biology of vascular endothelial growth factor. Endocr Rev. 1997 Feb;18(1):4-25. Review.
- Ferrara N, Henzel WJ. Pituitary follicular cells secrete a novel heparin-binding growth factor specific for vascular endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1989 Jun 15;161(2):851-8.
- Ferrara N. Vascular endothelial growth factor as a target for anticancer therapy. Oncologist. 2004;9 Suppl 1:2-10. Review.
- Folkman J. What is the role of thymidine phosphorylase in tumor angiogenesis. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1996 Aug 21;88(16):1091-2.
- Fountzilas G, Razis E, Tsavdaridis D, Karina M, Labropoulos S, Christodoulou C, Mavroudis D, Gogas H, Georgoulias V, Skarlos D. Continuation of trastuzumab beyond disease progression is feasible and safe in patients with metastatic breast cancer: a retrospective analysis of 80 cases by the hellenic cooperative oncology group. Clin Breast Cancer. 2003 Jun;4(2):120-5.
- Gelmon KA, Mackey J, Verma S, Gertler SZ, Bangemann N, Klimo P, Schneeweiss A, Bremer K, Soulieres D, Tonkin K, Bell R, Heinrich B, Grenier D, Dias R. Use of trastuzumab beyond disease progression: observations from a retrospective review of case histories. Clin Breast Cancer. 2004 Apr;5(1):52-8; discussion 59-62.
- Gerber HP, Ferrara N. Pharmacology and pharmacodynamics of bevacizumab as monotherapy or in combination with cytotoxic therapy in preclinical studies. Cancer Res. 2005 Feb 1;65(3):671-80.
- Giordano SH, Duan Z, Kuo YF, Hortobagyi GN, Freeman J, Goodwin JS. Impact of a scientific presentation on community treatment patterns for primary breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006 Mar 15;98(6):382-8.
- Greene FL, Page DL Fleming ID et al. eds. AJCC Cancer Staging Handbook. 6th Edition. 2002; Springer
- Griffiths L, Dachs GU, Bicknell R, Harris AL, Stratford IJ. The influence of oxygen tension and pH on the expression of platelet-derived endothelial cell growth factor/thymidine phosphorylase in human breast tumor cells grown in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Res. 1997 Feb 15;57(4):570-2.
- Harris L, Batist G, Belt R, Rovira D, Navari R, Azarnia N, Welles L, Winer E; TLC D-99 Study Group. Liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin compared with conventional doxorubicin in a randomized multicenter trial as first-line therapy of metastatic breast carcinoma. Cancer. 2002 Jan 1;94(1):25-36.
- Hicklin DJ, Ellis LM. Role of the vascular endothelial growth factor pathway in tumor growth and angiogenesis. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Feb 10;23(5):1011-27. Epub 2004 Dec 7. Review.
- Hirsh J, Raschke R. Heparin and low-molecular-weight heparin: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest. 2004 Sep;126(3 Suppl):188S-203S.
- Hotchkiss KA, Ashton AW, Mahmood R, Russell RG, Sparano JA, Schwartz EL. Inhibition of endothelial cell function in vitro and angiogenesis in vivo by docetaxel (Taxotere): association with impaired repositioning of the microtubule organizing center. Mol Cancer Ther. 2002 Nov;1(13):1191-200.
- Itakura J, Ishiwata T, Shen B, Kornmann M, Korc M. Concomitant over-expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and its receptors in pancreatic cancer. Int J Cancer. 2000 Jan 1;85(1):27-34.
- Izumi Y, Xu L, di Tomaso E, Fukumura D, Jain RK. Tumour biology: herceptin acts as an anti-angiogenic cocktail. Nature. 2002 Mar 21;416(6878):279-80.
- Jain D. Cardiotoxicity of doxorubicin and other anthracycline derivatives. J Nucl Cardiol. 2000 Jan-Feb;7(1):53-62. Review.
- Jain RK. Normalizing tumor vasculature with anti-angiogenic therapy: a new paradigm for combination therapy. Nat Med. 2001 Sep;7(9):987-9. Review.
- Jiang BH, Agani F, Passaniti A, Semenza GL. V-SRC induces expression of hypoxia-inducible factor 1 (HIF-1) and transcription of genes encoding vascular endothelial growth factor and enolase 1: involvement of HIF-1 in tumor progression. Cancer Res. 1997 Dec 1;57(23):5328-35.
- Jones SE, Erban J, Overmoyer B, Budd GT, Hutchins L, Lower E, Laufman L, Sundaram S, Urba WJ, Pritchard KI, Mennel R, Richards D, Olsen S, Meyers ML, Ravdin PM. Randomized phase III study of docetaxel compared with paclitaxel in metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Aug 20;23(24):5542-51.
- Kerbel RS, Kamen BA. The anti-angiogenic basis of metronomic chemotherapy. Nat Rev Cancer. 2004 Jun;4(6):423-36. Review.
- Kieser A, Weich HA, Brandner G, Marmé D, Kolch W. Mutant p53 potentiates protein kinase C induction of vascular endothelial growth factor expression. Oncogene. 1994 Mar;9(3):963-9.
- Kim KJ, Li B, Winer J, Armanini M, Gillett N, Phillips HS, Ferrara N. Inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesis suppresses tumour growth in vivo. Nature. 1993 Apr 29;362(6423):841-4.
- Klement G, Baruchel S, Rak J, Man S, Clark K, Hicklin DJ, Bohlen P, Kerbel RS. Continuous low-dose therapy with vinblastine and VEGF receptor-2 antibody induces sustained tumor regression without overt toxicity. J Clin Invest. 2000 Apr;105(8):R15-24. Erratum in: J Clin Invest. 2006 Nov;116(11):3084. J Clin Invest. 2006 Oct;116(10):2827.
- Konecny GE, Meng YG, Untch M, Wang HJ, Bauerfeind I, Epstein M, Stieber P, Vernes JM, Gutierrez J, Hong K, Beryt M, Hepp H, Slamon DJ, Pegram MD. Association between HER-2/neu and vascular endothelial growth factor expression predicts clinical outcome in primary breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Mar 1;10(5):1706-16.
- Lee CG, Heijn M, di Tomaso E, Griffon-Etienne G, Ancukiewicz M, Koike C, Park KR, Ferrara N, Jain RK, Suit HD, Boucher Y. Anti-Vascular endothelial growth factor treatment augments tumor radiation response under normoxic or hypoxic conditions. Cancer Res. 2000 Oct 1;60(19):5565-70.
- Leyland-Jones B, Gelmon K, Ayoub JP, Arnold A, Verma S, Dias R, Ghahramani P. Pharmacokinetics, safety, and efficacy of trastuzumab administered every three weeks in combination with paclitaxel. J Clin Oncol. 2003 Nov 1;21(21):3965-71. Epub 2003 Sep 24.
- Linderholm BK, Lindahl T, Holmberg L, Klaar S, Lennerstrand J, Henriksson R, Bergh J. The expression of vascular endothelial growth factor correlates with mutant p53 and poor prognosis in human breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2001 Mar 1;61(5):2256-60.
- Liu CD, Tilch L, Kwan D, McFadden DW. Vascular endothelial growth factor is increased in ascites from metastatic pancreatic cancer. J Surg Res. 2002 Jan;102(1):31-4.
- Marty M, Espie M, Cottu PH, Cuvier C, Lerebours F. Optimizing chemotherapy for patients with advanced breast cancer. Oncology. 1999 Jul;57 Suppl 1:21-6. Review.
- Marty M, Cognetti F, Maraninchi D, Snyder R, Mauriac L, Tubiana-Hulin M, Chan S, Grimes D, Antón A, Lluch A, Kennedy J, O'Byrne K, Conte P, Green M, Ward C, Mayne K, Extra JM. Randomized phase II trial of the efficacy and safety of trastuzumab combined with docetaxel in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive metastatic breast cancer administered as first-line treatment: the M77001 study group. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Jul 1;23(19):4265-74. Epub 2005 May 23.
- Mayer LD, Tai LC, Ko DS, Masin D, Ginsberg RS, Cullis PR, Bally MB. Influence of vesicle size, lipid composition, and drug-to-lipid ratio on the biological activity of liposomal doxorubicin in mice. Cancer Res. 1989 Nov 1;49(21):5922-30.
- Ménard S, Casalini P, Tomasic G, Pilotti S, Cascinelli N, Bufalino R, Perrone F, Longhi C, Rilke F, Colnaghi MI. Pathobiologic identification of two distinct breast carcinoma subsets with diverging clinical behaviors. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 1999 May;55(2):169-77.
- Miller KD, Chap LI, Holmes FA, Cobleigh MA, Marcom PK, Fehrenbacher L, Dickler M, Overmoyer BA, Reimann JD, Sing AP, Langmuir V, Rugo HS. Randomized phase III trial of capecitabine compared with bevacizumab plus capecitabine in patients with previously treated metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Feb 1;23(4):792-9.
- Miller K, Wang M, Gralow J, Dickler M, Cobleigh M, Perez EA, Shenkier T, Cella D, Davidson NE. Paclitaxel plus bevacizumab versus paclitaxel alone for metastatic breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2007 Dec 27;357(26):2666-76.
- Miwa M, Ura M, Nishida M, Sawada N, Ishikawa T, Mori K, Shimma N, Umeda I, Ishitsuka H. Design of a novel oral fluoropyrimidine carbamate, capecitabine, which generates 5-fluorouracil selectively in tumours by enzymes concentrated in human liver and cancer tissue. Eur J Cancer. 1998 Jul;34(8):1274-81.
- Moghaddam A, Zhang HT, Fan TP, Hu DE, Lees VC, Turley H, Fox SB, Gatter KC, Harris AL, Bicknell R. Thymidine phosphorylase is angiogenic and promotes tumor growth. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995 Feb 14;92(4):998-1002.
- Mross K, Niemann B, Massing U, Drevs J, Unger C, Bhamra R, Swenson CE. Pharmacokinetics of liposomal doxorubicin (TLC-D99; Myocet) in patients with solid tumors: an open-label, single-dose study. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2004 Dec;54(6):514-24. Epub 2004 Aug 21.
- Mukhopadhyay D, Tsiokas L, Sukhatme VP. Wild-type p53 and v-Src exert opposing influences on human vascular endothelial growth factor gene expression. Cancer Res. 1995 Dec 15;55(24):6161-5.
- Paterson MC, Dietrich KD, Danyluk J, Paterson AH, Lees AW, Jamil N, Hanson J, Jenkins H, Krause BE, McBlain WA, et al. Correlation between c-erbB-2 amplification and risk of recurrent disease in node-negative breast cancer. Cancer Res. 1991 Jan 15;51(2):556-67.
- Petit AM, Rak J, Hung MC, Rockwell P, Goldstein N, Fendly B, Kerbel RS. Neutralizing antibodies against epidermal growth factor and ErbB-2/neu receptor tyrosine kinases down-regulate vascular endothelial growth factor production by tumor cells in vitro and in vivo: angiogenic implications for signal transduction therapy of solid tumors. Am J Pathol. 1997 Dec;151(6):1523-30.
- Piccart M. Treatment of advanced breast cancer: current status. Anticancer Drugs. 1996 Aug;7 Suppl 2:5-7. Review.
- Piccart MJ, Di Leo A. Future perspectives of docetaxel (Taxotere) in front-line therapy. Semin Oncol. 1997 Aug;24(4 Suppl 10):S10-27-S10-33. Review.
- Rak J, Mitsuhashi Y, Bayko L, Filmus J, Shirasawa S, Sasazuki T, Kerbel RS. Mutant ras oncogenes upregulate VEGF/VPF expression: implications for induction and inhibition of tumor angiogenesis. Cancer Res. 1995 Oct 15;55(20):4575-80.
- Ramaswamy B, Elias AD, Kelbick NT, Dodley A, Morrow M, Hauger M, Allen J, Rhoades C, Kendra K, Chen HX, Eckhardt SG, Shapiro CL. Phase II trial of bevacizumab in combination with weekly docetaxel in metastatic breast cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2006 May 15;12(10):3124-9.
- Relf M, LeJeune S, Scott PA, Fox S, Smith K, Leek R, Moghaddam A, Whitehouse R, Bicknell R, Harris AL. Expression of the angiogenic factors vascular endothelial cell growth factor, acidic and basic fibroblast growth factor, tumor growth factor beta-1, platelet-derived endothelial cell growth factor, placenta growth factor, and pleiotrophin in human primary breast cancer and its relation to angiogenesis. Cancer Res. 1997 Mar 1;57(5):963-9.
- Romond EH, Perez EA, Bryant J, Suman VJ, Geyer CE Jr, Davidson NE, Tan-Chiu E, Martino S, Paik S, Kaufman PA, Swain SM, Pisansky TM, Fehrenbacher L, Kutteh LA, Vogel VG, Visscher DW, Yothers G, Jenkins RB, Brown AM, Dakhil SR, Mamounas EP, Lingle WL, Klein PM, Ingle JN, Wolmark N. Trastuzumab plus adjuvant chemotherapy for operable HER2-positive breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2005 Oct 20;353(16):1673-84.
- Ross JS, Fletcher JA. The HER-2/neu oncogene in breast cancer: prognostic factor, predictive factor, and target for therapy. Stem Cells. 1998;16(6):413-28. Review.
- Schaller G, Fuchs I, Gonsch T, Weber J, Kleine-Tebbe A, Klare P, Hindenburg HJ, Lakner V, Hinke A, Bangemann N. Phase II study of capecitabine plus trastuzumab in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 overexpressing metastatic breast cancer pretreated with anthracyclines or taxanes. J Clin Oncol. 2007 Aug 1;25(22):3246-50. Epub 2007 Jun 18.
- Shaked Y, Bertolini F, Man S, Rogers MS, Cervi D, Foutz T, Rawn K, Voskas D, Dumont DJ, Ben-David Y, Lawler J, Henkin J, Huber J, Hicklin DJ, D'Amato RJ, Kerbel RS. Genetic heterogeneity of the vasculogenic phenotype parallels angiogenesis; Implications for cellular surrogate marker analysis of antiangiogenesis. Cancer Cell. 2005 Jan;7(1):101-11.
- Sliwkowski MX, Lofgren JA, Lewis GD, Hotaling TE, Fendly BM, Fox JA. Nonclinical studies addressing the mechanism of action of trastuzumab (Herceptin). Semin Oncol. 1999 Aug;26(4 Suppl 12):60-70. Review.
- Stemmler HJ, Kahlert S, Siekiera W, Untch M, Heinrich B, Heinemann V. Prolonged survival of patients receiving trastuzumab beyond disease progression for HER2 overexpressing metastatic breast cancer (MBC). Onkologie. 2005 Nov;28(11):582-6.
- Sumizawa T, Furukawa T, Haraguchi M, Yoshimura A, Takeyasu A, Ishizawa M, Yamada Y, Akiyama S. Thymidine phosphorylase activity associated with platelet-derived endothelial cell growth factor. J Biochem. 1993 Jul;114(1):9-14.
- Sweeney CJ, Miller KD, Sissons SE, Nozaki S, Heilman DK, Shen J, Sledge GW Jr. The antiangiogenic property of docetaxel is synergistic with a recombinant humanized monoclonal antibody against vascular endothelial growth factor or 2-methoxyestradiol but antagonized by endothelial growth factors. Cancer Res. 2001 Apr 15;61(8):3369-72.
- Swenson CE, Bolcsak LE, Batist G, Guthrie TH Jr, Tkaczuk KH, Boxenbaum H, Welles L, Chow SC, Bhamra R, Chaikin P. Pharmacokinetics of doxorubicin administered i.v. as Myocet (TLC D-99; liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin citrate) compared with conventional doxorubicin when given in combination with cyclophosphamide in patients with metastatic breast cancer. Anticancer Drugs. 2003 Mar;14(3):239-46.
- Theodoulou M, Batist G, Campos S, Winer E, Welles L, Hudis C. Phase I study of nonpegylated liposomal doxorubicin plus trastuzumab in patients with HER2-positive breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer. 2009 May;9(2):101-7. doi: 10.3816/CBC.2009.n.019.
- Toi M, Hoshina S, Taniguchi T, Yamamoto Y, Ishitsuka H, Tominaga T. Expression of platelet-derived endothelial cell growth factor/thymidine phosphorylase in human breast cancer. Int J Cancer. 1995 Apr 21;64(2):79-82.
- Tong RT, Boucher Y, Kozin SV, Winkler F, Hicklin DJ, Jain RK. Vascular normalization by vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 blockade induces a pressure gradient across the vasculature and improves drug penetration in tumors. Cancer Res. 2004 Jun 1;64(11):3731-6.
- Tripathy D, Slamon DJ, Cobleigh M, Arnold A, Saleh M, Mortimer JE, Murphy M, Stewart SJ. Safety of treatment of metastatic breast cancer with trastuzumab beyond disease progression. J Clin Oncol. 2004 Mar 15;22(6):1063-70.
- Vukelja SJ, Lombardo FA, James WD, Weiss RB. Pyridoxine for the palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia syndrome. Ann Intern Med. 1989 Oct 15;111(8):688-9. Erratum in: Ann Intern Med 1990 Jan 15;112(2):151.
- Vukelja SJ, Baker WJ, Burris HA 3rd, Keeling JH, Von Hoff D. Pyridoxine therapy for palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia associated with taxotere. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1993 Sep 1;85(17):1432-3.
- Warren RS, Yuan H, Matli MR, Gillett NA, Ferrara N. Regulation by vascular endothelial growth factor of human colon cancer tumorigenesis in a mouse model of experimental liver metastasis. J Clin Invest. 1995 Apr;95(4):1789-97.
- Yap R, Veliceasa D, Emmenegger U, Kerbel RS, McKay LM, Henkin J, Volpert OV. Metronomic low-dose chemotherapy boosts CD95-dependent antiangiogenic effect of the thrombospondin peptide ABT-510: a complementation antiangiogenic strategy. Clin Cancer Res. 2005 Sep 15;11(18):6678-85.
- Yen L, You XL, Al Moustafa AE, Batist G, Hynes NE, Mader S, Meloche S, Alaoui-Jamali MA. Heregulin selectively upregulates vascular endothelial growth factor secretion in cancer cells and stimulates angiogenesis. Oncogene. 2000 Jul 20;19(31):3460-9.
- Amadori D, Gasparini G, Ardizzoni A, Comella G, Saracchini S, Barone C, Bordonaro R, et al. Phase II study of liposomal doxorubicin (Myocet®), docetaxel and trastuzumab combination as first line treatment of patients with HER-2/neu positive locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Res 2009; 69 (Suppl.): (2).January 15, 3149
- Ansell J, Hirsh J, Poller L, Bussey H, Jacobson A, Hylek E. The pharmacology and management of the vitamin K antagonists: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest. 2004 Sep;126(3 Suppl):204S-233S. Erratum in: Chest. 2005 Jan;127(1):415-6. Dosage error in article text.
- Antón A, Ruiz-Simón A, Plazaola A, Calvo L, Segui M. A, Santabella A, Muňoz M, et al. Phase II study of a 3-weekly liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin/docetaxel/pegfilgrastim in combination with weekly trastuzumab as primary treatment in HER2 positive (HER+) early stage cancer patients (II-IIIa). GEICAM 2003-03 study. Cancer Res 2009; 69 (Suppl.): (2).January 15, 5117
- Balazsovits JA, Mayer LD, Bally MB, Cullis PR, McDonell M, Ginsberg RS, Falk RE. Analysis of the effect of liposome encapsulation on the vesicant properties, acute and cardiac toxicities, and antitumor efficacy of doxorubicin. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 1989;23(2):81-6.
- Bartsch R, Wenzel C, Hussian D, Pluschnig U, Sevelda U, Koestler W, Altorjai G, Locker GJ, Mader R, Zielinski CC, Steger GG. Analysis of trastuzumab and chemotherapy in advanced breast cancer after the failure of at least one earlier combination: an observational study. BMC Cancer. 2006 Mar 15;6:63.
- Bartsch R, Wenzel C, Altorjai G, Pluschnig U, Rudas M, Mader RM, Gnant M, Zielinski CC, Steger GG. Capecitabine and trastuzumab in heavily pretreated metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2007 Sep 1;25(25):3853-8. Epub 2007 Aug 6.
- Barton GJ, Ponting CP, Spraggon G, Finnis C, Sleep D. Human platelet-derived endothelial cell growth factor is homologous to Escherichia coli thymidine phosphorylase. Protein Sci. 1992 May;1(5):688-90.
- Batist G, Ramakrishnan G, Rao CS, Chandrasekharan A, Gutheil J, Guthrie T, Shah P, Khojasteh A, Nair MK, Hoelzer K, Tkaczuk K, Park YC, Lee LW. Reduced cardiotoxicity and preserved antitumor efficacy of liposome-encapsulated doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide compared with conventional doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide in a randomized, multicenter trial of metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2001 Mar 1;19(5):1444-54.
- Bertolini F, Paul S, Mancuso P, Monestiroli S, Gobbi A, Shaked Y, Kerbel RS. Maximum tolerable dose and low-dose metronomic chemotherapy have opposite effects on the mobilization and viability of circulating endothelial progenitor cells. Cancer Res. 2003 Aug 1;63(15):4342-6.
- Blum JL, Dieras V, Lo Russo PM, Horton J, Rutman O, Buzdar A, Osterwalder B. Multicenter, Phase II study of capecitabine in taxane-pretreated metastatic breast carcinoma patients. Cancer. 2001 Oct 1;92(7):1759-68.
- Blum JL, Jones SE, Buzdar AU, LoRusso PM, Kuter I, Vogel C, Osterwalder B, Burger HU, Brown CS, Griffin T. Multicenter phase II study of capecitabine in paclitaxel-refractory metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 1999 Feb;17(2):485-93.
- Borgström P, Gold DP, Hillan KJ, Ferrara N. Importance of VEGF for breast cancer angiogenesis in vivo: implications from intravital microscopy of combination treatments with an anti-VEGF neutralizing monoclonal antibody and doxorubicin. Anticancer Res. 1999 Sep-Oct;19(5B):4203-14.
- Budman DR, Meropol NJ, Reigner B, Creaven PJ, Lichtman SM, Berghorn E, Behr J, Gordon RJ, Osterwalder B, Griffin T. Preliminary studies of a novel oral fluoropyrimidine carbamate: capecitabine. J Clin Oncol. 1998 May;16(5):1795-802.
- Phase II trial of the anti-VEGF antibody bevacizumab in combination with vinorelbine for refractory advanced breast cancer [abstract 446]. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2002;76:S115
- Browder T, Butterfield CE, Kräling BM, Shi B, Marshall B, O'Reilly MS, Folkman J. Antiangiogenic scheduling of chemotherapy improves efficacy against experimental drug-resistant cancer. Cancer Res. 2000 Apr 1;60(7):1878-86.
- Chan S, Friedrichs K, Noel D, Pintér T, Van Belle S, Vorobiof D, Duarte R, Gil Gil M, Bodrogi I, Murray E, Yelle L, von Minckwitz G, Korec S, Simmonds P, Buzzi F, González Mancha R, Richardson G, Walpole E, Ronzoni M, Murawsky M, Alakl M, Riva A, Crown J; 303 Study Group. Prospective randomized trial of docetaxel versus doxorubicin in patients with metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 1999 Aug;17(8):2341-54.
- Epstein M, Ayala R, Tchekmedyian N et al. HER-2/neu-overexpressing human breast cancer xenografts exhibit increased angiogenic potential mediated by vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2002; 76: S143
- Extra JM, Antoine EC, Vincent-Salomon A et al. Favourable effect of trastuzumab (Herceptin®) treatment in metastatic breast cancer patients: results from the French Hermine cohort study. Poster presentation, 2006 SABCS, San Antonio, Texas
- Hambleton J, Novotny F, Hurwitz H et al. Bevacizumab (Avastin) does not increase the incidence of bleeding in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer receiving simultaneous anticoagulation. ASCO New Orleans 2004,Abstract 3528
- Jackisch C, Eustermann H, Schoenegg W et al. Routine clinical usage of trastuzumab (Herceptin®) in advanced breast cancer in Germany from 2001 to 2006. 2007; Poster Presentation, SABCS
- Kabbinavar FF, Wong JT, Ayala RE et al. The effect of antibody to vascular endothelia growth factor and cisplatin on the growth of lung tumors in nude mice [abstract]. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 1995; 36:488
- Ménard S (on behalf of the Demetra Group). Observational Demetra study: Survival of metastatic breast carcinoma patients after treatment with trastuzumab. J Clin Oncol 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; abstr 1062)
- Miles D, Chan A, Romieu G et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III study of bevacizumab with docetaxel or docetaxel with placebo as first-line therapy for patients with locally recurrent or metastatic breast cancer (mBC): AVADO. J Clin Oncol 26:2008 (May 20 Suppl; abstr LBA1011). Presented at the 2008 ASCO Annual Meeting
- Myers CE. Anthracyclines. In: Chabner B, ed. Pharmacologic principles of cancer treatment. Philadelphia: Saunders 1982: xii, 457 p
- O'Shaughnessy J, Blackwell KL, Burstein H et al. A randomized study of lapatinib alone or in combination with trastuzumab in heavily pretreated HER2+ metastatic breast cancer progressing on trastuzumab therapy. J Clin Oncol 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; abstr 1015)
- Pegram M, Yeon C, Ku NC et al. Phase I combined biological therapy of breast cancer using two humanized monoclonal antibodies directed against HER2 protooncogene and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). 2004; SABCS
- Pegram M, Chan D, Dichmann RA et al., Phase II combined biological therapy targeting the HER2 proto-oncogene and the vascular endothelial growth factor using trastuzumab (T) and bevacizumab (B) as first-line treatment of HER2-amplified breast cancer. 2006; Poster Presentation, SABCS
- Potchoiba MJ, West M, Smolarek TA, Macaione G, Santacroce E, Lundeen GR. Tissue distribution of doxorubicin in the free and liposomal forms in male Beagles. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 1996; 37:A2675
- Rugo H, Dickler MN, Scott JH et al. Change in circulating endothelial cells (CEC) and tumor cells (CTC) in patients (pts) receiving bevacizumab and erlotinib for metastatic breast cancer (MBC) predicts stable disease at first evaluation [abstract 525]. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:10s
- Schippinger W, Lileg B, Ploner F, Weitzer W, Bauernhofer TH, Samonigg H. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with non-pegylated liposomal doxorubicin, docetaxel and trastuzumab in HER-2/neu overexpressing breast cancer. Ann Oncol 2007; 18 (Suppl 9): 28p
- Shweiki D, Itin A, Soffer D et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor induced by hypoxia may mediate hypoxia-initiated angiogenesis. Nature (Lond.) 1992; 359: 843-845.Slamon DJ, Clark GM, Wong SG et al. Human breast cancer: correlation of relapse and survival with amplification of the Her-2/neu oncogene. Science 1987; 235:177-182
- Slamon DJ, Godolphin W, Jones LA, Holt JA, Wong SG, Keith DE, Levin WJ, Stuart SG, Udove J, Ullrich A, et al. Studies of the HER-2/neu proto-oncogene in human breast and ovarian cancer. Science. 1989 May 12;244(4905):707-12.
- Sledge GW, Miller KD, Moisa CF et al. Safety and efficacy of capecitabine plus bevacizumab as first-line treatment in metastatic breast cancer J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 35s ASCO abstract 1013
- Traina TA, Dickler MN, Caravelli JF et al. A phase II trial of letrozole in combination with bevacizumab, an anti-VEGF antibody, in patients with hormone receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer [abstract 2030]. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2005;94:S93
- Tycznski JE, Bray F and. Parkin DM. Breast cancer in Europe. International Agency for Research on Cancer: European Network of Cancer Registries Cancer Fact Sheet 2002; 2
- Venturini M, Bighin C, Puglisi F, Contu A, Aitini E, Colucci G, et al. A multicenter phase II study of non-pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (Myocet®) in combination with trastuzumab and docetaxel as first line therapy in metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Res 2009; 69 (Suppl.): (2). January 15, 3156
- Von Minckwitz G, Zielinski C, Maarteense E et al. Capecitabine vs. capecitabine + trastuzumab in patients with HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer progressing during trastuzumab treatment: The TBP phase III study (GBG 26/BIG 3-05). J Clin Oncol 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; abstr 1025)
- Yardley DA, Hart L, Badarinath S et al. Preliminary results of a multicenter study of bevacizumab with 3 docetaxel-based adjuvant breast cancer regimens. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2007, Poster Presentation
|April 2014 (final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
- Female or male, age ≥ 18 years
- Pathologically confirmed invasive primary breast adenocarcinoma (except inflammatory breast cancer, T4d) scheduled for taxane containing neoadjuvant systemic treatment with/without palpable lymph nodes.
- Documented HER2 protein overexpression as determined by immunohistochemistry (IHC) 3+ or by demonstrated HER2/c-erbB2 gene amplification of the primary tumor by a local laboratory.
- LVEF ≥ 55% measured by echocardiography or MUGA within 4 weeks before randomization
- ECOG Performance Status ≤ 1
- Able and willing to comply with scheduled visits, treatment plans, laboratory tests, and other study procedures.
- Written Informed Consent
- Requirement for concurrent use of the antiviral agent sorivudine or chemically related analogues, such as brivudine.
- Chronic daily treatment with corticosteroids excl. inhaled steroids.
- Chronic daily treatment with aspirin and aspirin analogs or clopidogrel
- Major surgical procedure, open biopsy or significant traumatic injury within 28 days prior to randomization or anticipation of need for major surgery during the course of study treatment
- Current or recent (within 30 days prior to randomization) treatment with another investigational drug or participation in another investigational study.
- Inadequate bone marrow function
- Inadequate liver function
- Inadequate renal function
- Patients not receiving anticoagulant medication who have activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) within 7 days prior to Day1 of the cycle 1.
- Pregnant, lactating females or women of childbearing potential without a negative pregnancy test
- Fertile males or females of childbearing potential
- Patients not accessible for treatment or follow-up
|18 Years and older
|Contact information is only displayed when the study is recruiting subjects
|ABCSG 32, 2010-023324-25
|Austrian Breast & Colorectal Cancer Study Group
|Austrian Breast & Colorectal Cancer Study Group
- Hoffmann-La Roche
||Guenther Steger, MD
||Austrian Breast & Colorectal Cancer Study Group
|Austrian Breast & Colorectal Cancer Study Group