Patients may be eligible for this study if they:
- Have HIV levels of more than 2000 copies/ml.
- Have failed their current HAART (had a significant increase in their HIV levels with HAART).
- Have a CD4 cell count greater than 200 cells/microL.
- Have had more than 6 months of HAART.
- Have been on their current HAART for at least 6 weeks.
- Agree to use an effective method of birth control during the study.
Patients will not be eligible for this study if they:
- Have a history of a serious mental disorder.
- Are allergic to interferons.
- Are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Are taking certain medications such as ribavirin, hydroxyurea, and ganciclovir.