Regulatory T Cells for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (REGALS)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT05695521|
Recruitment Status : Not yet recruiting
First Posted : January 25, 2023
Last Update Posted : February 3, 2023
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis||Biological: CK0803 Other: Excipient||Phase 1|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||66 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||This is a randomized two-arm, multi-center phase Ib trial of CK0803 (cryopreserved, allogeneic, cord blood derived T regulatory cells that express neurotropic homing markers) versus placebo for treatment of adults with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) having onset within 5 years of trial entry. This trial will consist of a 6-patient safety run-in followed by a randomized comparative trial with up to two stages (stages 1 and 2), each stage of size 30 patients, with a safety rule applied after stage 1 that may terminate the trial early, for a maximum total sample size of 6+30+30 = 66 patients.|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Masking Description:||Double Blinded, Placebo Control|
|Official Title:||Phase 1 Safety Run-in Study and Phase 1b Randomized, Double Blinded, Placebo Controlled Trial|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||January 30, 2023|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 2025|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 2027|
CK0803 (cryopreserved, allogeneic, cord blood derived T regulatory cells that express neurotropic homing markers) will be administered intravenously Dose: 100 million Treg cells (fixed dose)
CK0803 (cryopreserved, allogeneic, cord blood derived T regulatory cells that express neurotropic homing markers) will be administered intravenously
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
- Treatment Limiting Toxicity (TLT) [ Time Frame: 28 days ]TLT of CK0803 as assessed by the incidence and severity of AE and SAEs using NCI-CTCAE Version 5.0 criteria. TLT is a primary endpoint for bothe phase 1 safety run-in and phase 1b RCT part
- Combined assessment of function and survival (CAFS) [ Time Frame: 24 weeks ]CAFS ranks patients' clinical outcomes based on survival time and change in the ALS Functional Rating Scale-Revised (ALSFRS-R) score where score = 0 is worst and score = 48 is best. Each patient's outcome is compared to every other patient's outcome, assigned a score, and the summed scores are ranked. The mean rank score for each treatment group can then be calculated. A higher mean CAFS score indicates a better group outcome.
- Incidence of all cause AEs and SAEs [ Time Frame: baseline and at weeks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12 and/or 13, 16, 20, 24 and/or 25, 36 and 48 from first infusion and/or at end of treatment (EOT) ]Treatment limiting toxicities of CK0803 as assessed by the incidence and severity of AE and SAEs using NCI-CTCAE Version 5.0 criteria.
- ALS Functional Rating Scale-Revised (ALSFRS-R) Score [ Time Frame: Each measured at baseline and at weeks 5, 8, 12 and/or 13, 16, 20, 24 and/or 25, 36 and 48 from first infusion and/or at EOT ]Longitudinal processes of ALSFRS-R score measured at baseline and different time points. ALSFRS-R score 0=worst; 48=best
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Specific Quality of Life - Revised (ALSSQOL-R) [ Time Frame: Each measured at baseline and at weeks 5, 8, 12 and/or 13, 16, 20, 24 and/or 25, 36 and 48 from first infusion and/or at EOT ]Each item of the ALSSQOL-R is rated by the individual using a 0 to 10 point Likert scale, with 0 being the least desirable situation, and 10 being the most desirable.
- Slow Vital Capacity (SVC) [ Time Frame: Each measured at baseline and at weeks 5, 8, 12 and/or 13, 16, 20, 24 and/or 25, 36 and 48 from first infusion and/or at EOT ]SVC is the volume of air expired, on a low complete expiration after a maximal inspiration without forced or rapid effort.
- Handheld dynamometer (HHD) [ Time Frame: Each measured at baseline and at weeks 5, 8, 12 and/or 13, 16, 20, 24 and/or 25, 36 and 48 from first infusion and/or at EOT ]HHD allows for objective measurement of muscle strength
- Nfl CSF [ Time Frame: Each measured at baseline and at weeks 5, 8, 12 and/or 13, 16, 20, 24 and/or 25, 36 and 48 from first infusion and/or at EOT ]Neurofilament light chain level in the CSF
- Nfl Serum [ Time Frame: Each measured at baseline and at weeks 5, 8, 12 and/or 13, 16, 20, 24 and/or 25, 36 and 48 from first infusion and/or at EOT12 months ]Neurofilament light chain level in the Serum
- Ventilation assistance-free survival (VAFS) [ Time Frame: Each measured at baseline and at weeks 5, 8, 12 and/or 13, 16, 20, 24 and/or 25, 36 and 48 from first infusion and/or at EOT ]VAFS is defined as the time to the earliest occurrence of 1 of the following events: i) Death, or ii) Permanent ventilation (> 22 hours of mechanical ventilation [invasive or non-invasive] per day for > 21 consecutive days in the absence of an acute potentially reversible event)
- Overall Survival (OS) [ Time Frame: 24 weeks and 48 weeks from first infusion and/or at EOT ]OS defined as the length of time from the start of treatment that patients are still alive.
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years to 95 Years (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Ability of the subject or his/her legally authorized representative to provide informed consent.
- Adult ALS subjects (≥18 years of age)
- Diagnosis of ALS, according to the Revised El Escorial Criteria for ALS
- Subjects with disease onset ≤ 5 years
- Upright (sitting position) Slow Vital Capacity (SVC) as adjusted for sex, age and height ≥ 50% predicted
- Subjects must have documented ALSFRSR score of 36-45 at baseline.
- Subjects taking concomitant Riluzole or Edaravone or Albrioza at study entry must be on a stable dose for ≥ 30 days prior to the first dose of study treatment (Day 1).
- Screening values of coagulation parameters including platelet count, international normalized ratio (INR), prothrombin time (PT), and activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT) should be within normal ranges.
- Agree to practice highly effective contraception during the study and continue contraception for 90 days after their last dose of study treatment.
- Uncontrolled infection, not responding to appropriate antimicrobial agents after seven days of therapy. The Protocol medical monitor is the final arbiter of eligibility.
- Antiplatelet or anticoagulant therapy within the 14 days prior to Day 1 or anticipated use during the study, including but not limited to daily aspirin including low dose aspirin (defined as ≤ 150 mg/day), clopidogrel, dipyridamole, warfarin, dabigatran, rivaroxaban and apixaban
- Clinically significant low platelet count (defined as < 100,000/mm3), coagulation tests, or laboratory abnormalities that would render a subject unsuitable for inclusion
- Unwillingness to comply with study procedures, including follow-up, as specified by this protocol, or unwillingness to cooperate fully with the Investigator
- Have any other conditions, which, in the opinion of the Investigator would make the subject unsuitable for inclusion, or could interfere with the subject participating in or completing the study
- Concurrent participation in any other interventional clinical study
- Treatment with another investigational drug, biological agent, or device, including, but not limited to sodium phenylbutyrate, within 1 month of Screening, or 5 half-lives of investigational agent, whichever is longer
- Treatment of cancer in the last 5 years (except in situ carcinoma of the cervix or basal cell carcinoma)
- Female subjects who are pregnant or currently breastfeeding
- Other unspecified reasons that, in the opinion of the Investigator or Sponsor, make the subject unsuitable for enrollment.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT05695521
|Contact: Tara Sadeghifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact: Stacy Minoremail@example.com|
|United States, New York|
|Columbia University Irving Medical Center|
|New York, New York, United States, 10033|
|Contact: Neil Shneider, MD, PhD|
|Principal Investigator: Neil Shneider, MD, PhD|
|Principal Investigator:||Neil Shneider, MD, PhD||Columbia University|
|Responsible Party:||Cellenkos, Inc.|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||January 25, 2023 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||February 3, 2023|
|Last Verified:||February 2023|
|Individual Participant Data (IPD) Sharing Statement:|
|Plan to Share IPD:||No|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product:||Yes|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product:||No|
T Regulatory Cells
Randomized Placebo Control Trial
Umbilical cord blood
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Motor Neuron Disease
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Nervous System Diseases
Spinal Cord Diseases
Central Nervous System Diseases