Effect of Cannabis (Marijuana) on Stomach Emptying Before Surgery
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT05436236|
Recruitment Status : Not yet recruiting
First Posted : June 29, 2022
Last Update Posted : August 24, 2022
|Condition or disease|
|Gastric Emptying Cannabis|
About 108 people will take part in this study (54 in the study group and 54 in the control group). Subjects will have an ultrasound of the abdomen before their scheduled surgery. The ultrasound will determine how much fluid remains in the abdomen.
Researchers will also review subjects' medical records and will include: age, body mass index, history of cannabis use including how often and how consumed, reason for surgery, and length of time without eating before surgery.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||108 participants|
|Official Title:||Cannabis Consumption Effect on Gastric Volumes|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||September 1, 2022|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||August 1, 2023|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||August 1, 2024|
People who self-report that they do not use cannabis.
People who self-report that they use cannabis.
- Gastric content volume [ Time Frame: pre-operative ]Gastric content volume as assessed by ultrasound prior to surgery
- Frequency of cannabis use [ Time Frame: 3 months prior to surgery ]number of times per week patient uses cannabis
- Cannabis use (chronic yes or no) [ Time Frame: 1 year prior to surgery ]Yes or No for chronic cannabis use
- Route of cannabis consumption [ Time Frame: 3 months prior to surgery ]Categories of how cannabis is consumed (smoke, vape, other)
- Time since last food; Nil per os (NPO) time [ Time Frame: 24 hours prior to surgery ]Length of time patient had no food prior to surgery
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT05436236
|Contact: Michael Grover, MD||570-887-4882||Michael.Grover@guthrie.org|
|Contact: Neel Kapoor, DO||570-887-4882||Neel.Kapoor@guthrie.org|
|Principal Investigator:||Neel Kapoor, DO||The Guthrie Clinic|