Death Number Perception in Depression, Anxiety, and Schizoypal Personnality in General Population (Covid-19 Pandemic) (DeathPercep)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04384419|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : May 12, 2020
Last Update Posted : July 29, 2020
France has been put on a lockdown for 8 weeks to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus between 17/03/2020 and 11/05/2020. During this lockdown, which is likely to have psychopathological repercussions on the population, the public authorities and the media informed the population about the number of deaths occurring each day. While the functioning of autobiographical memory following traumatic events remains a debate in the literature, the impact of the daily announcement of mass deaths on the memory system in the general population and the relationship between long-term memory and delusional thinking in certain psychopathologies have yet to be explored in the literature.
The investigators wish to demonstrate that self-reported recall of recorded deaths may represent this distortion of perception, symptomatic of these pathologies by an on-line questionnaire.
|Condition or disease|
|Mental Disorder General Population|
Indeed, it has been reported that under continued stress, delusions and psychotic experiences can occur in the general population. This phenomenon is found in individuals suffering from depression and anxiety and schizotypal personality disorder.
The investigators wish to demonstrate that self-reported recall of recorded deaths may represent this distortion of perception, symptomatic of these pathologies.
Thus, using an online longitudinal questionnaire, the investigators wish to explore :
- how the memory system is impacted by mass deaths over several trimesters in the general population.
- whether the long-term memory of people suffering from depression and anxiety disorders and people suffering from schizotypal personality disorder contains recollection of a distorted pattern in relation to the actual number of deaths.
Primary goals of this project are:
Determine, in the context of mass deaths, the level and proportion of real or conceived recall of the number of deaths in the general population based on cognitive and affective empathy profiles over four trimesters.
Also the investigators want to determine
- the proportion of real or conceived recall numbers of deaths by COVID-19 among people suffering from depression and anxiety in a context of mass death.
- the proportion of real or conceived recall number of deaths by COVID-19 among people with schizotypal personality disorder.
- the dynamics of this real or conceived recall for four trimester following the end of lockdown.
The entire study will be conducted online. Participants will provide their informed consent. At these assessment, they will provide a set of self report measures associated to COVID-19 related psychological aspects especially for depression, anxiety and schizotypal personality.
Subjects can only participate once.
There is no minimum/maximum sample size for this study. The study will remain open for 1 year. The sample size should reach 1000 participants at least.
List of self-report measures:
- Brief Trauma Questionnaire (BTQ)
- COVID-Related Thoughts and Behavioral Symptoms (COV-TaBS)
- Beck Depression Inventory (BDI)
- State and Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI)
- The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HAPS)
- Questionnaire of Cognitive and Affective Empathy (QCAE)
- Raine Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire, (SPQ)
- Paranoia Scale
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||1000 participants|
|Official Title:||Real or Concieved Death Number Perception in Depression, Anxiety and in Schizotypal Personality Disorder Following Covid-19 Pandemic Lockdown|
|Actual Study Start Date :||May 29, 2020|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||May 30, 2021|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||June 1, 2021|
- number of perception distortions [ Time Frame: 1 day ]number of perception distortions
- Recall number of deaths [ Time Frame: 1 day ]Recall number of deaths
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04384419
|Contact: Stéphane Raffard, PhD||467339702 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact: Ali Oker, PhDemail@example.com|
|Montpellier, France, 34295|
|Contact: Stéphane RAFFARD, PhD 0467339702 ext 33 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Principal Investigator:||Stéphane Raffard, PhD||University Hospitals of Montpellier|