Ferumoxtran-10-enhanced MRI in Prostate Cancer Patients
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04261777|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : February 10, 2020
Last Update Posted : May 8, 2023
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Prostate Cancer Metastasis Prostatectomy||Drug: Ferrotran® (Ferumoxtran-10)||Phase 3|
Potential patients for this study will be recruited by up to 10 centres specialised in prostate cancer. Study sites will be interdisciplinary, consisting of a uro-oncology sub-site, and a radiology sub-site with high-quality MRI, surgery and pathology. Study visits will be typically conducted at the recruiting sub-site, or as institutionally appropriate. Treatment visits for patients will be performed in the collaborating sub-site. Patients will be invited for study participation by the investigators in the context of specialised clinics. Interested patients will be provided with an information sheet and will undergo a detailed informed consent procedure prior to any study procedures. Recruitment will be continued until a sufficient number of patients have undergone Ferrotran® imaging and histopathological evaluation.
To compensate for an expected drop-out rate of 15% to 20%, recruitment will only be stopped as soon as at least 69 evaluable positive (patients positive) and at least 104 evaluable negative (patients negative) patients are available for analysis.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||200 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Confirmatory, Prospective, Open-label, Single-arm, Reader-blinded Multi-centre Phase 3 Study to Assess the Diagnostic Accuracy of Ferumoxtran-10-enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Unenhanced MRI in Reference to Histopathology in Newly-diagnosed Prostate Cancer (PCA) Patients, Scheduled for Radical Prostatectomy (RP) With Extended Pelvic Lymph Node Dissection (ePLND).|
|Actual Study Start Date :||May 27, 2020|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 2023|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||March 2024|
Drug: Ferrotran® (Ferumoxtran-10)
Ferrotran® in a dose of 0.13 mL/kg body weight of the reconstituted freeze-dried preparation (i.e. 2.6 mgFe/kg body weight). The recommended dose should be diluted in 100 mL of NaCl 9 mg/mL (0.9%) solution for injection/infusion prior to administration via the infusion filter as a slow intravenous infusion over 30 minutes (at a maximum rate of 4 mL/min).
Ferrotran® will be administered once to each patient. Histologically confirmed diagnosis and pre-operative staging are performed prior to the study as part of standard care. Surgery (RP with ePLND) and sampling of tissue specimens is performed after the Ferrotran®-enhanced MRI as part of standard care.
Other Name: Ferrotran Lyophilisate
- Lymph node metastases will be detected by MRI scan (Ferumoxtran-10-enhanced and unenhanced). [ Time Frame: up to day 42 ]True positive fraction and false positive fraction of identified tumour tissue in pelvic lymph nodes will be analysed by histopathology as established reference method.
- Number and regions of lymph node metastases present in the follow-up MRI in comparison to pre-surgery MRI (unenhanced and Ferrotran®-enhanced). [ Time Frame: up to day 105 ]
- Frequency of occurrence and severity of abnormal findings in safety investigations (physical examination, vital signs, 12-lead ECG, clinical laboratory, concomitant medication, adverse events) [ Time Frame: day 0 - day 105 ]
- Percentage of subjects for whom the patient management plan would be changed based on the Ferrotran®-enhanced MRI. [ Time Frame: up to day 105 ]
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||Male|
|Gender Based Eligibility:||Yes|
|Gender Eligibility Description:||male with prostate cancer|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Voluntarily given and written informed consent.
- Male ≥18 years of age.
- Histologically newly-confirmed adenocarcinoma of the prostate.
Medium to high risk for lymph node metastasis, defined by either:
- PSA ≥10 ng/mL or
- Gleason-Score ≥7 or
- Stage cT2b or cT2c or T3 or T4
- Patients scheduled for radical prostatectomy (RP) with extended lymph node dissection (ePLND) between Day 7 and Day 42 after Ferrotran®-enhanced MRI.
- Consent to practice contraception until end of study, including female partners of childbearing potential. Effective contraceptive measures include hormonal oral, injected or implanted female contraceptives, male condom, vaginal diaphragm, cervical cap, intrauterine device.
- Any contraindication to MRI, as per standard criteria.
- Any radiation therapy or systemic antiproliferative (chemo-, immuno, or hormonal) therapy for prostate cancer (Lupron, Taxotere, Casodex, Eulexin, Zoladex, etc.) prior to screening and until after post-surgery FUP MRI.
- Known hypersensitivity to Ferrotran® or its components such as dextran.
- Known hypersensitivity to other parenteral iron products.
- Acute allergy, including drug allergies and allergic asthma.
- Evidence of iron overload or disturbances in the utilisation of iron (e.g., haemochromatosis, haemosiderosis, chronic haemolytic anaemia with frequent blood transfusions).
- Presence of liver dysfunction.
- Any other investigational medicinal product within 30 days prior to receiving study medication until end of study visit.
- Simultaneous participation in any other clinical trial.
- Abnormal safety laboratory values at screening or baseline that are assessed by the principal investigator as clinically relevant.
- Patients not able to declare meaningful informed consent on their own (e.g. with legal guardian for mental disorders), or other vulnerable patients (e.g. under arrest).
- Patients with acute SARS-CoV-2 infection
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04261777
|Contact: Jürgen Feuerstein, Dr.||+31 24 303 10 email@example.com|
|Contact: Volker Meyer, Dr.||+49 351 21 444 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Universitair Ziekenhuis Ghent||Recruiting|
|Gent, Belgium, 9000|
|Charité - Universitätsklinikum Berlin||Recruiting|
|Berlin, Germany, 10117|
|Vivantes Klinikum Am Urban||Recruiting|
|Berlin, Germany, 10967|
|Bonn, Germany, 53127|
|Cologne, Germany, 50937|
|Universitätsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus||Recruiting|
|Dresden, Germany, 01307|
|Düsseldorf, Germany, 40225|
|Essen, Germany, 45147|
|Leipzig, Germany, 04103|
|Universitätsklinikum Schleswig-Holstein Lübeck||Recruiting|
|Lübeck, Germany, 23538|
|Universitätsmedizin Mannheim Medizinische Fakultät Mannheim der Universität Heidelberg||Not yet recruiting|
|Mannheim, Germany, 68167|
|Nederlands Kanker Instituut Antoni van Leeuwenhoek||Recruiting|
|Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1006|
|Radboud University Medical Center||Recruiting|
|Nijmegen, Netherlands, 6525|
|Canisius-Wilhelmina Ziekenhuis Nijmegen||Recruiting|
|Nijmegen, Netherlands, 6532|
|Bern, Switzerland, 3010|
|Responsible Party:||Saving Patients' Lives Medical B.V.|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||February 10, 2020 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||May 8, 2023|
|Last Verified:||April 2023|
|Individual Participant Data (IPD) Sharing Statement:|
|Plan to Share IPD:||No|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product:||No|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product:||No|
Ultra-small superparamagnetic iron oxide
Genital Neoplasms, Male
Neoplasms by Site
Genital Diseases, Male
Male Urogenital Diseases