Today Not Tomorrow Pregnancy and Infant Support Program (TNT- PISP)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04100577|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : September 24, 2019
Last Update Posted : October 7, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Infant Mortality Infant Death Racial Bias Prenatal Stress Prenatal Care Maternal Child Health Health Problems in Pregnancy Adverse Childhood Experiences Mental Health Support Groups Minority Health Healthcare Disparities Maternal-child Health Services Social Determinants of Health Trust Physician-Patient Relations Quality of Care||Other: Today Not Tomorrrow Pregnancy and Infant Support Program||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||40 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||A longitudinal, quasi-experimental design with two study arms will be used. Study arm 1 will consist of self-identified pregnant black women who are enrolled in the TNT-PISP intervention and Study arm 2 will consist of self-identified pregnant black women who are not enrolled in the TNT-PISP intervention. During the recruitment process, potential study participants will be able to self- select which study arm they would like to be in after each arm is described in detail. Although self-selection is traditionally discouraged in research, given the vulnerable population the investigator will be working with and historic distrust with medical community, investigator believe there is power in giving women of color choice in how they wish to navigate and engage with this study.|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Addressing Black Infant Mortality in Wisconsin Through a Collaborative Health Equity Approach Through Community Based Group Prenatal Care and Infant Support|
|Actual Study Start Date :||October 3, 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||August 31, 2021|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||August 31, 2021|
Experimental: TNT PISP intervention
Participants in TNT PISP intervention group will come to once monthly educational support group sessions and will be additionally enrolled in the community based doula program where they will receive 1 on 1 doula and lactation support throughout their pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum period. They will receive prenatal care clinical visits on their own with their prenatal care provider. In phase 2 of the study, participants will be offered on site prenatal care once per month.
Other: Today Not Tomorrrow Pregnancy and Infant Support Program
The Today Not Tomorrow Pregnancy and Infant Support Program (TNT-PISP) is a collaborative community-based support group uniquely designed to serve black women and infants through once monthly group sessions delivered prenatally and in the immediate postpartum period.
No Intervention: Control
Participants in control group will have no enhanced prenatal care support. They will attend visits on their own with their prenatal care provider and participation in this research study will not interfere with the prenatal care.
- Participant recruitment as assessed by percentage of participants enrolled in Today Not Tomorrow Pregnancy and Infant Support Program (TNT-PISP) [ Time Frame: 2 years ]TNT-PISP is aiming to recruit 20 self-identified African American women into the TNT-PISP Pilot. The actual recruitment will be measured as percentage of participants recruited, assuming recruitment of 20 participants per arm as 100%
- Retention rate of participants as assessed by percentage of participants adhered to study for 2 years [ Time Frame: 2 years ]Retention rate of participants as assessed by percentage of participants adhered to study for 2 years
- Preliminary Maternal Child Health Outcomes: Birth weight [ Time Frame: At child birth or at 38 week average gestation time whichever will come first ]Birth weight of baby will be assessed from the medical records in the TNT-PISP group and the control group to assess the effect of the intervention on the preliminary maternal child health outcome.
- Preliminary Maternal Child Health Outcomes: Birth gestational age [ Time Frame: At child birth or at 38 week average gestation time whichever will come first ]Birth gestational age will be assessed from the medical records in the TNT-PISP group and the control group to assess the effect of the intervention on the preliminary maternal child health outcome.
- Percentage of participants breastfed babies at time of birth [ Time Frame: up to 2 years ]Percentage of participants breastfed babies at time of birth as per the medical records
- Percentage of participants opted for inter-conception care plans [ Time Frame: 2 years ]Percentage of participants opted for inter-conception care plans as per the medical records
- Rate of attendance to 6- week postpartum visit [ Time Frame: 6 week postpartam ]Rate of attendance to 6- week postpartum visit as per the medical records
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04100577
|Contact: Jasmine Y Zapata, MD, MPHemail@example.com|
|United States, Wisconsin|
|University of Wisconsin Madison||Recruiting|
|Madison, Wisconsin, United States, 53792|
|Principal Investigator:||Jasmine Y Zapata, MD, MPH||University of WI School of Medicine and Public Health|