Efficacy and Safety of Losmapimod in Subjects With Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD) (FSHD)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04003974|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : July 1, 2019
Last Update Posted : October 18, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD)||Drug: Losmapimod Drug: Placebo oral tablet||Phase 2|
This study is a Phase 2, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, multicenter study designed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of losmapimod in treating patients with Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD) over 24 weeks. Patients will participate in this study for approximately 29 weeks. This will include a 4-week screening period, a 24-week, placebo-controlled treatment period and a 7 day safety follow-up period. Patients must have a confirmed diagnosis of FSHD1 and genetic confirmation must be obtained prior to the screening MRI and baseline muscle biopsy. Patients will be randomized to receive 15 mg of losmapimod or placebo twice daily given as two 7.5 mg tablets per dose by mouth; for a total of 4 pills or 30 mg daily for 24 weeks. All patients will be asked to attend the study clinic for each scheduled visit.
The primary endpoint of the study is to evaluate the efficacy of losmapimod in inhibiting or reducing expression of DUX4, as measured by a subset of DUX4-regulated gene transcripts in skeletal muscle biopsies of FSHD patients. Secondary endpoints include evaluation of the safety and tolerability of losmapimod, the plasma concentrations of losmapimod, levels of losmapimod in skeletal muscle and losmapimod target engagement in blood and skeletal muscle in FSHD patients.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||66 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||This study is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, 24-week parallel-group study.|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Masking Description:||This study will be performed in a double-blind fashion. The investigator, study staff, subjects, sponsor and monitor will remain blinded to the treatment until study closure.|
|Official Title:||A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, 24-Week, Parallel-Group Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Losmapimod in Treating Subjects With Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy (FSHD)|
|Actual Study Start Date :||August 9, 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||June 2020|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||August 2020|
FSHD1 patients with genetic confirmation will receive Losmapimod 15 mg twice daily given as two 7.5 mg tablets per dose by mouth; for a total of 4 pills or 30 mg daily for 24 weeks.
This study includes a 24 week treatment period. Patients will receive Losmapimod 15 mg twice daily given as two 7.5 mg tablets per dose by mouth; for a total of 4 pills or 30 mg daily. The study drug should be taken with food and the date and time of each dose taken recorded in the subject diary.
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
FSHD1 patients with genetic confirmation will receive a Placebo twice daily given as two 7.5 mg tablets per dose by mouth; for a total of 4 pills or 30 mg daily for 24 weeks.
Drug: Placebo oral tablet
This study includes a 24 week treatment period. Patients will receive Placebo twice daily given as two 7.5 mg tablets per dose by mouth; for a total of 4 pills or 30 mg daily. The placebo tablets are identical to the Losmapimod tablets. Placebo should be taken with food and the date and time of each dose taken recorded in the subject diary.
Other Name: Placebo
- DUX4 activity [ Time Frame: Week 16 ]Change from baseline in DUX4 activity will be measured by quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) of skeletal muscle using a subset of DUX4‑regulated gene transcripts.
- Treatment-Emergent Adverse Events [ Time Frame: Week 25 ]Incidence of treatment-emergent adverse events assessed by clinically significant laboratory test results, ECGs, and vital signs.
- Plasma Concentrations of Losmapimod [ Time Frame: Week 24 ]Blood samples will be collected to measure the plasma concentration of losmapimod at specified timepoints.
- Concentration of Losmapimod in Skeletal Muscle [ Time Frame: Week 16 ]Muscle biopsies will be collected at two specified timepoints to measure the concentration of losmapimod in skeletal muscle.
- Target Engagement [ Time Frame: Week 16 ]Change from baseline in phospho-HSP27 and ratio of pHSP27/total HSP27 will be measured in peripheral whole blood and muscle.
- Muscle Lean Tissue Volume [ Time Frame: Week 24 ]Change from baseline in skeletal muscle lean tissue volume as measured by whole body magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Muscle Tissue Replacement by Fat [ Time Frame: Week 24 ]Change from baseline in skeletal muscle tissue replacement by fat as measured by whole body magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Muscle Disease Transcripts [ Time Frame: Week 24 ]To evaluate the change from baseline in inflammatory, immune, apoptotic, and muscle disease transcripts in muscle biopsies by quantitative PCR analysis.
- Circulating Proteins [ Time Frame: Week 24 ]To evaluate the change from baseline in circulating proteins in plasma and serum by ELISA analysis.
- Reachable Work Space (RWS) [ Time Frame: Week 25 ]Subjects are seated in front of a 3D camera and asked to perform a standardized upper extremity movement protocol under the supervision of a study clinical evaluator with and without weights.
- Timed Up and Go (TUG). [ Time Frame: Week 25 ]Subjects are timed as they start from a seated or laying position, rise to a standing position, walk a total of 6 meters and then return to either a seated or laying position.
- Muscle Strength [ Time Frame: Week 25 ]Muscle strength will be assessed by Hand-Held Quantitative Dynamometry.
- Motor Function Measure (MFM) Domain 1. [ Time Frame: Week 25 ]The MFM domain 1 is a validated evaluator administered functional measure for neuromuscular disorders, with 13 items related to standing and transfers.
- FSHD Health Index (FSHD-HI). [ Time Frame: Week 25 ]The HI is a 15 domain questionnaire designed and based on patient interviews to measure total FSHD health-related quality-of-life, including both motor impairment and the social and emotional impact of FSHD. 116 questions are combined into a total score, the score is transformed onto a percentage scale, with 100 representing maximal disability, and lower scores representing decreasing disability.
- Patients' Global Impression of Change (PGIC). [ Time Frame: Week 25 ]The PGIC is a single question that assesses on a scale of 1-7 if there has been an improvement, decline or no change in clinical status.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04003974
|Contact: Call Centerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Show 20 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Michelle Mellion, MD||Fulcrum Therapeutics|