Auburn University Research on Olive Oil for Alzheimer's Disease (AU-ROOAD) ((AU-ROOAD))
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03824197|
Recruitment Status : Not yet recruiting
First Posted : January 31, 2019
Last Update Posted : January 31, 2019
Until now there is no medical treatment and/or intervention that can slow, stop or reverse the underlying neurodegenerative of Alzheimer's disease (AD). The goal of this study is to demonstrate "Oleocanthal rich-extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) consumption stops or delay mild cognitive impairment conversion to AD by restoring the blood-brain barrier (BBB) function in humans".
- Evaluate effect of EVOO on the brain function by functional MRI (fMRI) imaging, and BBB function by dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI (DCE-MRI).
- Evaluate effect of EVOO on cognitive function and on selected biomarkers
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Alzheimer Disease Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy||Other: EVOO Other: OO||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Care Provider)|
|Official Title:||Extra-virgin Olive Oil Prevents Mild Cognitive Impairment Conversion to Alzheimer's Disease|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||February 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 2019|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||July 2021|
Extra-virgin olive oil rich with oleocanthal and other phenolic compounds that will be added to daily diet
Extra-virgin olive oil that is rich with oleocanthal and other phenols.
Other Name: OC-rich EVOO
Olive oil with low phenolic content that will be added to daily diet
Olive oil low in oleocanthal and other phenols.
Other Name: Olive oil
- Effect of olive oil on the BBB intactness [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Will be evaluated by DCE-MRI
- Effect of olive oil on the brain activity [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Will be evaluated by fMRI
- Cognitive function [ Time Frame: 6 months ]A battery of cognitive tasks to assess memory