Study of COR388 HCl in Subjects With Alzheimer's Disease
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03823404|
Recruitment Status : Not yet recruiting
First Posted : January 30, 2019
Last Update Posted : January 30, 2019
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study that will assess the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of 2 dose levels of COR388 HCl in subjects with a clinical diagnosis of mild to moderate AD dementia.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Alzheimer Disease||Drug: COR388 HCl capsule Drug: Placebo capsule||Phase 2 Phase 3|
This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study that will assess the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of 2 dose levels of COR388 HCl oral capsules in subjects with probable AD dementia according to the National Institute on Aging-Alzheimer's Association (NIA-AA) criteria. The study will enroll approximately 573 generally healthy male and female subjects ≥55 and ≤80 years of age. Enrolled subjects must have a documented diagnosis of mild to moderate AD dementia. The subject should not have other conditions or brain imaging abnormalities that can explain the symptoms of dementia. All subjects will be encouraged to have LPs (during screening, week 24 and week 48) in the absence of medical conditions that can increase the risk of the procedure in the opinion of the Investigator. Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), saliva, and blood will be analyzed for measurements of biomarkers of AD and neuroinflammation, and for the presence of bacterial deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) of Porphyromonas gingivalis (P. gingivalis [Pg]). A subset of sites will monitor subjects for clinical evidence of periodontitis at baseline, 24 and 48 weeks.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||573 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of COR388 HCl in Subjects With Alzheimer's Disease|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||April 1, 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 1, 2021|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 1, 2022|
|Experimental: COR388 HCl 80 mg bid||
Drug: COR388 HCl capsule
|Experimental: COR388 HCl 40 mg bid||
Drug: COR388 HCl capsule
|Placebo Comparator: Placebo bid||
Drug: Placebo capsule
Primary Outcome Measures :
- Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-Cognitive Subscale 11 (ADAS-Cog 11) [ Time Frame: Baseline to Week 48 ]Mean change in Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-Cognitive Subscale 11 (ADAS-Cog 11) from baseline to the end of treatment period. ADAS-Cog 11 measures cognitive functions and non-cognitive functions such as mood and behavior. Total scores range from 0-70, with higher scores (≥ 18) indicating greater cognitive impairment. ADAS-Cog 11 score increases by 2-4 points per year on average in subjects with mild to moderate Alzheimer's Disease. A treatment period of 48 weeks was selected to allow sufficient time to demonstrate at least 2.5 points difference between active treatment and placebo on ADAS-Cog 11 at the end of the treatment period.
Secondary Outcome Measures :
- ADCS-ADL [ Time Frame: Baseline to Week 48 ]Change in Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study Group-Activities of Daily Living (ADCS-ADL).
- CDR-SB [ Time Frame: Baseline to Week 48 ]Change in Clinical Dementia Rating-Sum of Boxes (CDR-SB).
Other Outcome Measures:
- Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) [ Time Frame: Baseline to Week 48 ]Change in MMSE.
- Neuropsychiatric Inventory (NPI) [ Time Frame: Baseline to Week 48 ]Change in NPI.
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) Porphyromonas gingivalis DNA fragments [ Time Frame: Baseline to Week 48 ]Change in CSF Porphyromonas gingivalis DNA fragments.
- Winterlight Speech Assessment [ Time Frame: Baseline to Week 48 ]Change in Winterlight Speech Assessment.
- Magnetic resonance imaging [ Time Frame: Baseline to Week 48 ]Change in magnetic resonance imaging.
- Periodontal (or gum) pocket depth [ Time Frame: Baseline to Week 48 ]Change in periodontal (or gum) pocket depth.
No Contacts or Locations Provided