Pediatric Infectious Disease Precision Medicine Using Sequencing Evaluation of CSF (PIPSEC)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03796546|
Recruitment Status : Enrolling by invitation
First Posted : January 8, 2019
Last Update Posted : February 28, 2019
|Condition or disease|
|Infection Pediatric ALL|
IDbyDNA, Inc. has developed a robust sequencing reference database for viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites and developed novel analysis methods to analyze next-generation (NGS) sequencing data to rapidly identify infectious agents. This technology suite, known as the Explify™ platform, holds the promise to improve patient care and efficiently guide provider treatment planning for those suffering from infectious disease.
The PIPSEC trial, developed by pediatric physicians specializing in genomic medicine, is intended to facilitate the acquisition of high quality and clinically annotated biospecimens for the purpose of research discovery. This project intends to advance metagenomics, microbial genetics, bioinformatics and data analytics, for pathogen detection utilizing cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) specimens to contribute to the diagnosis of infectious agents impacting the central nervous system among pediatric patients. Clinically annotated specimens will facilitate continued development and validation of the Explify test and its clinical utility for providers treating central nervous system (CNS) infections.
The primary objective is to assess clinical utility of the Explify test compared to concurrent standard of care testing to identify pathogens from CSF fluid within a pediatric patient population.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||100 participants|
|Official Title:||A Prospective Trial to Investigate the Clinical Utility and Application of a Next Generation Sequencing Test for Pathogen Detection of Cerebral Spinal Fluid (CSF) Samples to Diagnose Pediatric Central Nervous System (CNS) Infections|
|Actual Study Start Date :||January 22, 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||January 1, 2021|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||January 1, 2022|
- Diagnostic Rate [ Time Frame: 24 months ]Comparison of the sensitivity, specificity, positive and negative predictive values of IDbyDNA NGS results with the Explify diagnostic platform compared with standard care.
- Clinical Utilization [ Time Frame: 24 months ]
Change of Management resulting from NGS diagnosis versus diagnosis based on standard of care. Change of Management is a binary (yes or no) based on assignments made by the PI or designee at each site using the following domains:
- Diagnosis specific pharmacological treatment
- Diagnosis specific management
- Diagnosis specific supportive interventions A change in any of these domains will be considered a change of clinical management for utilization purposes.
- Post-Hoc Analysis - Economic Evaluation (1) [ Time Frame: 24 months ]
Economic evaluation of cost of standard of care testing compared to economic cost of NGS testing:
Determination of what diagnosis made could have been made with best possible clinical tests currently available.
- Post-Hoc Analysis - Economic Evaluation (2) [ Time Frame: 24 months ]Cost analysis of what best available testing would have cost.
- Post-Hoc Analysis - Host Response [ Time Frame: 24 months ]RNA sequencing to determine if there is a specific host response to either specific infectious or noninfectious etiologies.
Biospecimen Retention: Samples With DNA
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03796546
|United States, California|
|Rady Children's Hospital|
|San Diego, California, United States, 92123|
|United States, Florida|
|Nicklaus Children's Hospital|
|Miami, Florida, United States, 33155|