A Study to Evaluate the Safety (Compared to Iron Sucrose), Efficacy and Pharmacokinetics of Ferumoxytol for the Treatment of Iron Deficiency Anemia (IDA) in Pediatric Subjects With Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03619850|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : August 8, 2018
Last Update Posted : June 17, 2019
To evaluate the safety (compared to iron sucrose) and efficacy of ferumoxytol in pediatric CKD subjects with iron deficiency anemia (IDA) or who are at risk of development of IDA
To determine the single-dose pharmacokinetics (PK) and pharmacodynamics (PD) profile of ferumoxytol in pediatric subjects.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Chronic Kidney Disease; Iron Deficiency Anemia||Drug: Ferumoxytol Drug: Iron sucrose||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||129 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase 3, Randomized, Open-Label, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Safety (Compared to Iron Sucrose), Efficacy and Pharmacokinetics of Ferumoxytol for the Treatment of Iron Deficiency Anemia (IDA) in Pediatric Subjects With Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)|
|Actual Study Start Date :||August 13, 2018|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||August 31, 2021|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||January 31, 2022|
Each 20 mL single-use vial contains 17 mL of ferumoxytol that consists of iron at a concentration of 30 mg Fe/mL, coated with polyglucose sorbitol carboxymethylether and formulated with mannitol, at a concentration of 44 mg/mL, in a black to reddish brown sterile, aqueous, colloidal, isotonic solution.
Other Name: Feraheme
|Active Comparator: Iron sucrose||
Drug: Iron sucrose
Each mL contains 20 mg of elemental iron as iron sucrose in water for injection. The 5 mL single-use vial contains 100 mg of iron per 5 mL. The drug product contains approximately 30% sucrose (300 mg/mL).
Other Name: Venofer
- Hemoglobin increase of at least 0.5 g/dL from Baseline to Week 5 [ Time Frame: 35 days ]Proportion of patients achieving a hemoglobin increase of at least 0.5 g/dL during the period from Baseline to Week 5
- Incidence of Treatment Emergent Adverse Events [ Time Frame: 49 days ]Incidence of Treatment Emergent Adverse Events
- Incidence of adverse events of special interest (AESI) [ Time Frame: 49 days ]Incidence of adverse events of special interest (AESI) (hypotension and hypersensitivity)
- Area Under the Curve (AUC) [ Time Frame: 35 days ]Pharmacokinetic parameter: Area Under the Curve (AUC)
- Clearance [ Time Frame: 35 days ]Pharmacokinetic parameter: clearance
- Distribution and elimination half-lives [ Time Frame: 35 days ]Pharmacokinetic parameter: distribution and elimination half-lives
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03619850
|Contact: Clinical Trial Interest||1-877-233-4781||AMAGCT@druginfo.com|