Human Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs) Therapy in ARDS (ARDS)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03608592|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : August 1, 2018
Last Update Posted : September 4, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome||Biological: umbilical cord derived mesenchymal stem cells (UCMSCs) suspension Biological: normal saline||Not Applicable|
This is a single arm study. According Berlin definition (2012), moderate or severe adult ARDS patients who fail to improve oxygenation (PaO2/FiO2 increase over 20%) in the first 24h or 8h after diagnosis will be enrolled. A salvage package of 10^6/kg suspended UCMSCs in 100ml normal saline or only 100ml normal saline will be infused through central venous catheter. Infusion associated events (IAEs) in 24 hours will be closely monitored. Compared with propensity score matched controls, mortality in 28 days as the primary outcomes. oxygenation index, ventilator parameters, lung injury biomarkers and clinical outcomes as secondary outcomes will be analyzed.
This is a revised trail from its previous registered pilot RCT, approved by Ethic Committe of Stem Cells Trails (ECSCT) of 3rd affiliated hospital of Sun Yat-Sen university
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||26 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||A package of 100ml normal saline with 10^6/kg umbilical cord derived MSCs suspension will infused from central venous catheter.|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Human Umbilical Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Therapy in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome|
|Actual Study Start Date :||June 1, 2018|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||August 1, 2020|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 1, 2020|
Experimental: UCMSCs group
Intravenous infusion of 1million UCMSCs per kilogram body weight suspended in 100ml normal saline, infusion duration 30-60min.
Biological: umbilical cord derived mesenchymal stem cells (UCMSCs) suspension
Clinical grade human umbilical cord derived mesenchymal stem cells (passage 3-5) suspension are provided by biotherapy center of the third affiliated hospital of Sun Yat Sen University. Cells are made of suspension packages (60million cells in 100ml normal saline per bag) and infused intravenously in 2 hours.
Biological: normal saline
A bag of 100ml clinical grade normal saline are also provided by biotherapy center of the third affiliated hospital of Sun Yat Sen University.
- Infusion associated events [ Time Frame: From infusion beginning to the second day, 24 hours ]Incidence of prescribed adverse events or unprescribed events agreed by investigators and consultant .
- Mortality [ Time Frame: In 60 days after enrolled ]All cause mortality. Cause of death, exact survival status (death/survival) and time (days) will also be recorded
- Ventilation free days(VFDs) [ Time Frame: From the day of UCMSCs use(day 0) to day 28 ]
The days without invasive ventilator support(at least 2 consecutive calendar days) in 28 days.
If the ventilator weaned multiple times, VFDs is the sum of the days without ventilator support.
If any of following occurring in 28 days, VFDs equals 0:
- The patient dies in 28 days;
- Ventilator never be weaned;
- Censored case with ventilator never being weaned.
- Oxygenation index(OI) changes [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, each day ]The oxygenation index(OI)=partial pressure of oxygen in arterial blood(PaO2) divide inspiration fraction of oxygen(FiO2). OI is measured at day0, day1,day3,day7.
- Lung injury score(LIS) [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, day0,1,3,7 ]
Murray lung injury scores (LIS) consist of the following 4 parts:
A.Hypoxemia (PaO2/FiO2≥300, 225-299,175-224,100-174,<100, assigned 0,1,2,3,4 scores respectively); B.PEEP (cmH2O) (≤5,6-8,9-11,11-14,≥15, assigned 0,1,2,3,4 scores respectively) ; C.Compliance (ml/cmH2O)(≥80,60-79,40-59,20-39,≤19, assigned 0,1,2,3,4 scores respectively); D.Quadrants infiltrated in Chest X-Ray(CXR) (0,1,2,3,4, assigned 0,1,2,3,4 scores respectively).
The total LIS score is obtained by dividing the total sum of points by the number of criteria present. For example, if only 3 criteria are answered to, the total sum is divided by 3 to reveal the final score.
The LIS score ranges between 0 and 4, with scores closer to 4 indicating severe acute lung injury.
- Positive end expiratory pressure(PEEP) [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, each day ]Monitored by ventilator and recorded per hour, obtain the average value of the day. unit-cmH20
- Plateau pressure(Pplat) [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, each day ]Monitored by ventilator in one inspiration pause, measured 4 times a day. Record the average value of the day. unit-cmH20
- Driving pressure [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, each day ]Calculate the driving pressure by Pplat minus PEEP, measured 4 times a day. Record the average value of the day. unit-cmH20
- Static compliance [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, each day ]
Calculate the static compliance by the following formula:
static compliance=tidal volume/(Pplat-PEEP), unit-ml/cmH2O
- Epithelial injury biomarker-KL6 [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, day0, 1,3,7 ]Detect Krebs von den Lungen-6(KL6) level in bronchoalveolar fluid (BALF), unit-U/ml
- Endothelial injury biomarker-Ang2 [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, day0, 1,3,7 ]Detect the angiopoietin (Ang2) level in plasma, unit-pg/ml
- Tumor necrosis factor a(TNFa) [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, day0, 1,3,7 ]Detect the TNFa in plasma and in BALF, unit-pg/ml
- Interleukin 8(IL8) [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, day0, 1,3,7 ]Detect the IL8 in plasma and in BALF, unit-pg/ml
- Interleukin 6(IL6) [ Time Frame: From day 0 to day 7, day0, 1,3,7 ]Detect the IL6 in plasma and in BALF, unit-pg/ml
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03608592
|Contact: Huimin Yi, Doctorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Guangzhou, Guangdong, China, 510630|
|Contact: Haijin Lv 2082179173|
|Principal Investigator:||Huimin Yi||The 3rd affiliated hospital of Sun Yat-sen University|