Community Level Primary Prevention of Dating and Sexual Violence in Middle Schools
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03473067|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 22, 2018
Last Update Posted : February 18, 2021
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Violence||Behavioral: Social Norms Marketing Campaign Other: Capacity Building||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||4344 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Community Level Primary Prevention of Dating and Sexual Violence in Middle Schools|
|Actual Study Start Date :||September 1, 2017|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||June 30, 2020|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 30, 2020|
Experimental: Social Norms Marketing
This arm includes a social norms marketing campaign tailored to the school.
Behavioral: Social Norms Marketing Campaign
This poster based marketing campaign is designed to correct inaccurate perceptions of norms regarding violence.
Other Name: Your Voice Your Data
Active Comparator: Capacity Building
This arm includes a series of teacher training, and parent engagement meetings, with the goal of building capacity to address violence in the school.
Other: Capacity Building
Schools will participate in teacher training and parent training.
- Sexual Violence Victimization [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Rates of sexual violence victimization
- Dating Violence Victimization [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Rates of dating violence victimization
- Sexual Violence Perpetration [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Rates of sexual violence perpetration
- Dating Violence Perpetration [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Rates of dating violence perpeptration
- Bystander Intervention [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Rates of bystander intervention
- Attitudes Towards Violence [ Time Frame: Change from baseline to 6 months ]Attitudes towards violence scale
- Teacher Engagement in Bystander Intervention [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Rates of bystander intervention behavior among teachers
- Perceptions of Social Norms [ Time Frame: Change from baseline to 6 months ]A series of items were developed for the purpose of the present study to assess student perceptions of peer norms regarding dating and sexual violence. Items are scored on a range of 0% - 100% to indicate the percent of peers within the school that would endorse each item. Scores for each item will be examined individually. Positive scores on this measure are indicated when respondents perceive a greater number of their peers would endorse healthy behavior.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03473067
|United States, Rhode Island|
|Rhode Island Hospital|
|Providence, Rhode Island, United States, 02904|
|Principal Investigator:||Lindsay M. Orchowski, Ph.D.||Rhode Island Hospital|