A Study of VB-111 With Paclitaxel vs Paclitaxel for Treatment of Recurrent Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Cancer (OVAL) (OVAL)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03398655|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 12, 2018
Last Update Posted : January 10, 2023
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Recurrent Platinum Resistant Ovarian Cancer||Drug: VB-111 + Paclitaxel Drug: Placebo + Paclitaxel||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||408 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||A Randomized, Controlled, Double-Arm, Double-Blind, Multi-Center Study of Ofranergene Obadenovec (VB-111) Combined With Paclitaxel vs. Paclitaxel Combined With Placebo for the Treatment of Recurrent Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Cancer|
|Actual Study Start Date :||December 19, 2017|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||July 19, 2022|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||July 19, 2022|
Experimental: Arm 1
VB-111 + Paclitaxel
Drug: VB-111 + Paclitaxel
VB-111 will be administered intravenously at a dose of 1x10e13 VPs every 2 months Paclitaxel will be administered intravenously at a dose of 80mg/m2 every week
Other Name: Ofranergene Obadenovec
Active Comparator: Arm 2
Placebo + Paclitaxel
Drug: Placebo + Paclitaxel
Placebo will be administered intravenously every 2 months Paclitaxel will be administered intravenously at a dose of 80mg/m2 every week
- Overall Survival [ Time Frame: From randomization until death from any cause (up to 5 years after last study treatment) ]
- Progression Free Survival (PFS) by RECIST 1.1 [ Time Frame: From randomization until progression defined according to RECIST 1.1 or death, whichever occurs first (up to 5 years after last study treatment) ]
- Combined CA-125 and RECIST 1.1 response (GCIG) [ Time Frame: From date of study entry until the date of death from any cause, or up to 5 years after last study treatment ]
- CA-125 Response (GCIG) [ Time Frame: From date of study entry until the date of death from any cause, or up to 5 years after last study treatment ]
- Objective response rate (ORR) by RECIST 1.1 [ Time Frame: From date of study entry until the date of death from any cause, or up to 5 years after last study treatment ]
- OS100 for a sensitivity analysis of OS [ Time Frame: From 100 days after date of study entry until the date of death from any cause, or up to 5 years after last study treatment ]
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||Female|
|Gender Based Eligibility:||Yes|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Female patients ≥18 years of age
- Histologically confirmed epithelial ovarian cancer and documented disease.
- Patients must have platinum-resistant disease
- Patients must have disease that is measurable according to RECIST 1.1 and require chemotherapy treatment.
- ECOG PS 0-1.
Adequate hematological functions:
- ANC ≥ 1000/mm3
- PLT ≥ 100,000/mm3
- PT and PTT (seconds) < 1.2 X ULN. Patients who are anticoagulated do not need to meet criteria for PT and PTT.
- Patients who are known to carry a BRCA mutation may be enrolled only after (following PARP inhibitor treatment failure, or being intolerant of, or ineligible for PARP inhibitor treatment).
- Non-epithelial tumors (Carcino-sarcomas are excluded)
- Ovarian tumors with low malignant potential (i.e. borderline tumors) clear cell carcinomas, grade 1 serous tumors or mucinous tumors.
- History of other clinically active malignancy within 5 years of enrollment, except for tumors with a negligible risk for metastasis or death, such as adequately controlled basal-cell carcinoma, adequately controlled, non-metastatic squamous-cell carcinoma of the skin, or carcinoma in situ of the cervix or breast.
- Previous ovarian cancer treatment with >5 anticancer regimens.
- Any prior radiotherapy to the pelvis or whole abdomen.
Inadequate liver function, defined as serum creatinine > ULN, unless calculated creatinine clearance > 50ml/min (by Cockroft & Gault formula):
- Serum (total) bilirubin > ULN (Exception: documented Gilbert's disease patients can be enrolled)
- Alkaline phosphatase, AST/SGOT or ALT/SGPT ≥2.5 x ULN (or ≥ 5 x ULN in the presence of liver metastases).
Inadequate renal function, defined as:
- Serum creatinine > ULN OR
- Calculated creatinine clearance < 50ml/min (by Cockroft & Gault formula)
- New York Heart Association (NYHA) Grade II or greater congestive heart failure
- History of myocardial infarction or unstable angina within 6 months prior to day of randomization.
- History of stroke or transient ischemic attack within 6 months prior to day of randomization.
- Patient with proliferative and/or vascular retinopathy
- Known brain metastases
- History of hemoptysis or active GI bleeding within 6 month prior to day of randomization
- Evidence of bleeding diathesis or significant coagulopathy (in the absence of therapeutic anticoagulation).
- History of abdominal fistula or gastrointestinal perforation.
- Current signs and symptoms of bowel obstruction
- Uncontrolled active infection
- Patients who had evidence of disease progression during or up to 90 days from the last dose of the first line of platinum based therapy
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03398655
Publications automatically indexed to this study by ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier (NCT Number):
|Responsible Party:||Vascular Biogenics Ltd. operating as VBL Therapeutics|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||January 12, 2018 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||January 10, 2023|
|Last Verified:||June 2021|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product:||Yes|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product:||No|
Recurrent Ovarian cancer
Platinum resistant ovarian cancer
Epithelial ovarian cancer
Carcinoma, Ovarian Epithelial
Endocrine Gland Neoplasms
Neoplasms by Site
Genital Neoplasms, Female
Endocrine System Diseases
Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial
Neoplasms by Histologic Type
Antineoplastic Agents, Phytogenic
Molecular Mechanisms of Pharmacological Action