Diagnosis of Ascites in Infants and Children (Ascites)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03341221|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified October 2017 by Asmaa abo bakr Ahmed, Assiut University.
Recruitment status was: Not yet recruiting
First Posted : November 14, 2017
Last Update Posted : November 14, 2017
Ascites is the pathologic accumulation of fluid within the peritoneal cavity. Causes of ascites in infants and children :hepatobiliary disorders,serositis, neoplasm, cardiac, genitourinary disorder, metabolic disease and others.
Diagnosis of ascites :history of abdominal distention, increasing weight, respiratory embarrassement, symptoms and signs of (hepatic ,cardiac,renal disease, tuberculosis and malignancy).
lnvestigation:complete blood count, complete urine examination, liver function tests, plasma proteins, renal function tests, clotting screen, tuberculin test, chest and abdominal plain films,abdominal ultrasound, upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, abdominal paracentesis for ascitic fluid analysis .
|Condition or disease|
Definition : Ascites is the pathologic fluid accumulation within the peritoneal cavity .
causes of ascites in infants and children :
- Hepatobiliary disorders (cirrhosis, congenital hepatic fibrosis, acute hepatitis B,C ,Budd -chiari syndrome, Bile duct perforation)
- Serositis (crohn's disease, eosinophilic enteropathy , Henoch- Shonlein purpura )
- Neoplasm (lymphoma, wilm's tumor ,Glioma, Germ cell tumor, Ovarian tumor,mesothelioma, Neroblastoma )
- Cardiac (Heart failure )
- Metabolic disease
- Gastrointestinal disorder (Nephrotic syndrome, peritoneal dialysis ). Diagnosis of ascites :History of abdominal distention, increasing weight, respiratory embarrassement, jaundice, bleeding (haematemsis, melena, and epistaxis ),Pruritus ,Growth failure ,abdominal pain, fever,Cyanosis, ,dyspnea during suckling, Orthopnea, Buffy eyes, lower limb swelling, Haematrruria .
By examination : Tachycardia ,Tachypnea ,Hypertension ,cyanosis, jaundice, clubbing of fingers ,limb edema ,Hepatomegaly, splenomegaly, dilated abdominal wall veins.
Laboratory tests :complete blood count , complete urine examination, liver function tests, plasma proteins, renal function tests, clotting screen, tuberculin test.
Imaging studies :chest and abdominal plain films, abdominal ultrasound, upper gastrointestinal endoscopy CT, MR I, Abdominal paracentesis for ascitic fluid analysis :cell count / cytology ,Gram 'stain and culture, Total proteins (albumin /globulin ratio ), Glucose, Amylase, lactase dehydrogenase, Triglycerides,Bilirubin.
Serum ascites albumin gradient (SAAG )is the best single test for classification of ascites into portal hypertensive (SAAG >1.1g/dl) and non-portal hypertensive (SAAG <1.1g/dl) causes.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||50 participants|
|Official Title:||Diagnosis of Ascites in Infants and Children|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||December 1, 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||November 1, 2018|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||November 1, 2018|
Diagnosis of ascites in infants and children by history, examination and investigations
- Diagnosis of ascites in infants and children with hepatic, cardiac, renal disease, tuberculosis and malignancy [ Time Frame: 1 year ]Diagnosis of ascites in infants and children fromega age of 1month to 18 year