A Facebook Intervention for Young Sexual and Gender Minority Smokers (POP)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03259360|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : August 23, 2017
Last Update Posted : May 16, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Tobacco Use Smoking Tobacco Dependence Tobacco Use Disorder Tobacco Use Cessation Tobacco Smoking Smoking Cessation Smoking, Cigarette Smoking, Tobacco||Behavioral: POP: Behavioral: TSP:||Not Applicable|
Participants will be randomized to one of two conditions: (1) a Facebook-delivered intervention addressing tobacco use, tailored to SGM young adults; or (2) a 3-month Facebook intervention targeting tobacco use. Both interventions will include 90 days of Facebook-based messages and activities tailored to participants' readiness to quit smoking.
Assessments will occur at baseline, 3, and 6 months follow-up. Assessments will include measures on smoking, thoughts about abstinence, and SGM identity experiences. All participants who report no past 7-day smoking will be asked to give biochemical verification of smoking status with saliva cotinine test kits that will be mailed to participants.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||165 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Facebook Intervention for Young Sexual and Gender Minority Smokers|
|Actual Study Start Date :||April 23, 2018|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||March 2019|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||June 2019|
Experimental: The Put It Out Project (POP):
a culturally tailored intervention developed for SGM young adults on Facebook
90 days of Facebook messaging, weekly live sessions targeting tobacco use and tailored to sexual and gender minority young adults
Experimental: Tobacco Status Project (TSP):
the original TSP intervention (non-tailored) delivered to groups of only SGM participants on Facebook
90 days of Facebook messaging, weekly live sessions targeting tobacco use
- 7-day point prevalence abstinence at 3 months [ Time Frame: 3 months post baseline ]Reports of no smoking in the 7 days prior to the 3 month assessment. Biochemical verification of abstinence will also be recorded.
- 7-day point prevalence abstinence at 6 months [ Time Frame: 6 months post baseline ]Reports of no smoking in the 7 days prior to the 6 month assessment. Biochemical verification of abstinence will also be recorded.
- Reduction in cigarettes smoked by at least 50% [ Time Frame: 3 and 6 months post baseline ]Reduction will be assessed at 3 and 6 month follow-ups.
- Tobacco use quit attempts [ Time Frame: 3 and 6 months post baseline ]Whether a quit attempt was made during the follow-up period at 3 and 6 months post-baseline.
- Readiness to quit tobacco [ Time Frame: 3 and 6 months post baseline ]Proportion of participants ready to quit smoking in the next month assessed at 3 and 6 months
- Thoughts About Tobacco Abstinence [ Time Frame: 3 and 6 months post baseline ]Desire to quit, abstinence self-efficacy, perceived difficulty of quitting and abstinence goal
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03259360
|United States, California|
|University of California San Francisco Department of Psychiatry|
|San Francisco, California, United States, 94143|
|Principal Investigator:||Danielle E Ramo||University of California, San Francisco|