Randomized Controlled Trial of a Community Health Worker Program on Hearing Loss (Oyendo Bien)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03255161|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : August 21, 2017
Last Update Posted : October 29, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Hearing Loss||Behavioral: community health worker-audiologist communication education and support group||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||120 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Crossover Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Oyendo Bien: Reducing Disparities in Access to Hearing Health Care on the U.S.-Mexico Border|
|Actual Study Start Date :||August 19, 2015|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 31, 2018|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||February 2019|
|Experimental: Immediate communication education and support group||
Behavioral: community health worker-audiologist communication education and support group
A 5-week educational program on hearing loss, communication strategies, and peer support facilitated by community health workers supervised by an audiologist.
|No Intervention: Waitlist|
- Amount of use of communication strategies [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]International Outcomes Inventory Alternative Interventions Scale
- Access to hearing health care services [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]How many actions did participants take to improve their hearing health and communication following the hearing screening associated with eligibility for the project. Questionnaire lists 6 possible actions.
- Quality of life [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]International Outcomes Inventory Alternative Interventions Scale
- Communication function with partner [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]Frequency of self-reported communication breakdowns over the last month
- Self-efficacy to manage communication [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]Participants rate their confidence in being able to manage their hearing loss and communication with family and other communication partners.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03255161
|United States, Arizona|
|Mariposa Community Health Center|
|Nogales, Arizona, United States, 85621-1063|
|Principal Investigator:||Nicole Marrone, PhD||University of Arizona|