Pulsed Shortwave Therapy Treatment for Chronic Musculoskeletal Low Back Pain (PSWT)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03240146|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 4, 2017
Last Update Posted : August 2, 2018
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Chronic Low Back Pain||Device: Pulsed Shortwave Therapy||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||60 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Masking Description:||Devices will be coded, the placebo device is Identical to the active device in all ways except emitting the electromagnetic field. The energy emitted causes no sensation so can not be unmasked by user.|
|Official Title:||Pulsed Shortwave Therapy (PSWT) Treatment for Chronic Musculoskeletal Low Back Pain|
|Actual Study Start Date :||September 28, 2017|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 21, 2017|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||December 21, 2017|
Active Comparator: Study Group
Subjects in this group will receive an active pulsed shortwave therapy device.
Device: Pulsed Shortwave Therapy
Pulsed Shortwave Therapy device
Placebo Comparator: Control Group
Subjects in this group will receive a placebo pulsed shortwave device that it does not emit energy.
Device: Pulsed Shortwave Therapy
Pulsed Shortwave Therapy device
- Oswestry Disability Index [ Time Frame: 4 weeks ]Quality of life measure for chronic lower back pain
- Visual Analogue Pain score [ Time Frame: 4 weeks ]assessment of pain being experienced
- The Pain and Sleep Questionnaire three-item index [ Time Frame: 4 weeks ]Assessment of the impact of pain on the subjects sleep
- Analgesic Medication use [ Time Frame: 4 weeks ]Quantify the use of analgesic medications
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Participant is willing and able to give informed consent for participation in the trial.
- In the Investigator's opinion, is able and willing to comply with all trial requirements.
- Male or female ages 18 or above with stable chronic lower back pain
Females of childbearing must be on birth control or practice abstinence during the study period
o Women of childbearing age will be screened with a urine pregnancy test. Women of childbearing potential are defined as any female who has experienced menarche and who is not permanently sterile or postmenopausal. Postmenopausal is defined as 12 consecutive months with no menses without an alternative medical cause.
- ≥3 months duration of chronic low back pain
- a current VAS pain rating ≥5/10
- no radiating pain below the knee
- Most of the pain in the body is present in the lower back or buttock, NOT in the lower extremities, as determined during screening by the principal investigator. The investigator will verbally ask the participant if most of the pain being experienced is in the lower back/buttock area, and rely on the response for inclusion into the study.
- able to complete and tolerate treatment for the study period.
- Female participant who is pregnant.
- Significant renal or hepatic impairment confirmed by medical history.
- Prior home use of pulsed shortwave therapy.
- Prior history of spinal fusion or failed spinal surgery syndrome.
- Laminectomy, laminotomy or discectomy within 12 months of enrollment.
- Diagnostic or interventional injections or any low back surgeries not mentioned above, including radiofrequency neuroablation within 6 months of enrollment.
- The addition of strong opiates (hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine), pregabalin and gabapentin to the treatment regime during the course of the trial
- Current implanted cardiac demand pacemakers, defibrillators, cardiac pumps, spinal stimulators or other implanted electronic devices.
- Patients using personal home based electrical stimulation devices are excluded
- Patients with other concomitant illnesses (e.g., malignancy, osteoporosis) which, in the opinion of the investigator, would preclude successful patient participation will also be excluded
- Active psychiatric disorders will be excluded (e.g. use of antipsychotic medication, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia).
- Patients diagnosed with history of significant mood disorder will be excluded (e.g., depression or anxiety with adequate control would be acceptable).
- Scheduled elective surgery or other procedures requiring general anaesthesia during the trial.
- Any other significant disease or disorder which, in the opinion of the Investigator, may either put the participants at risk because of participation in the trial, or may influence the result of the trial, or the participant's ability to participate in the trial.
- Participants who have participated in another research trial involving an investigational product in the past 12 weeks.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03240146
|United States, Alabama|
|North Alabama Primary Care|
|Athens, Alabama, United States, 35611|
|Principal Investigator:||Chandra Koneru, MD||North Alabama Primary Care|
|Study Director:||Sree Koneru, Ph.D||BioElectronics Corporation|
|Study Chair:||Ian Rawe, Ph.D.||BioElectronics Corporation|
|Responsible Party:||BioElectronics Corporation|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||August 4, 2017 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||August 2, 2018|
|Last Verified:||August 2018|
|Individual Participant Data (IPD) Sharing Statement:|
|Plan to Share IPD:||No|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product:||No|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product:||Yes|
|Product Manufactured in and Exported from the U.S.:||Yes|
Low Back Pain