Palliative Care in the ICU
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03263143|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : August 28, 2017
Last Update Posted : May 11, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Palliative Care||Other: Palliative Care||Not Applicable|
- The medical intensive care unit will be split into two groups, assigned as either early palliative care consultation or standard of care. Current standard of care in the ICU is that primary clinician providers determine the need and time for palliative care consultation, which can occur approximately 5 - 14 days after admission.
- A palliative care screening tool will be used to determine if a newly admitted patient is eligible for palliative care consultation. For patients in the standard of care group, medical records will be reviewed.
- The two medical ICU groups will be crossed over to the after 3 months for a total of 6 months of study.
- Participants will be followed through his or her hospitalization.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||200 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Crossover Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Early Palliative Care in the Medical Intensive Care Unit|
|Actual Study Start Date :||August 7, 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||May 2018|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||June 2018|
|No Intervention: Standard of Care|
|Early Palliative Care Consultation||
Other: Palliative Care
Palliative Care Consultation within 24 to 48 hours after admission
- ICU Length of Stay [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 6 months ]
- Hospital Length of Stay [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 6 months ]
- Number of participants that transition to comfort care or discharge to hospice [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 6 months ]
- Total hospital stay cost [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 6 months ]
- Number of participants with Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) performed [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 6 months ]
- Number of participants who change resuscitation preferences [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 6 months ]
- Days on Mechanical Ventilation [ Time Frame: Through study completion, an average of 6 months ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03263143
|Contact: Jessica Ma||(314) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|United States, Missouri|
|Barnes Jewish Hospital||Recruiting|
|Saint Louis, Missouri, United States, 63110|
|Contact: Jessica Ma, MD|