LYNX: A Novel Mobile App to Support Linkage to HIV/STI Testing PrEP for Young Men Who Have Sex With Men
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03177512|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 6, 2017
Results First Posted : May 11, 2021
Last Update Posted : May 11, 2021
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|HIV Sexually Transmitted Diseases Risk Reduction Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis||Behavioral: LYNX Mobile App||Not Applicable|
Using the Information-Motivation-Behavior Skills (IMB) model, we have developed LYNX, a highly interactive mobile app to promote accurate risk perception and increase HIV/STI testing and linkage to PrEP among young men who have sex with men (YMSM). Key components of the app include Sex Pro (a personalized HIV risk score), a sex diary to facilitate accurate data collection; HIV/STI testing information and reminders; access to home HIV/STI testing options; a geospatial-based locator of HIV/STI testing sites and PrEP clinics; PrEP information and videos; and online PrEP navigation.
This study is part of the iTech NIH U19, which has an overall goal to develop innovative technology-focused interventions addressing the HIV prevention and care continuum for youth.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||61 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||LYNX: A Novel Mobile App to Support Linkage to HIV/STI Testing and Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) for Young Men Who Have Sex With Men|
|Actual Study Start Date :||October 25, 2018|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||November 18, 2019|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||November 18, 2019|
|Experimental: LYNX Mobile App||
Behavioral: LYNX Mobile App
Access to the LYNX mobile app which includes the Sex Pro score tool, PrEP videos, HIV/STI testing reminders and geo-location features.
No Intervention: Control
Participants in this study arm will receive local standard of care for linkage to PrEP and HIV/STI testing.
- Acceptability [ Time Frame: 3 months ]System Usability Scale: a validated 10-measure scale that assesses subjective usability of a system, or, in this case, an app. Range of scale is 0-100, with higher scores indicating higher acceptability.
- Feasibility: Number of Participants Who Opened the App at Least Once by Month 3 Time Point [ Time Frame: 3 months ]Opened the app at least once by Month 3 time point
- Frequency of App Use [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Number of login sessions
- Number of Participants Using Different Parts of the App [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Use of each app component based on paradata from the mobile app
- Number of Participants Who Ordered HIV/STI Home Testing Kits, Condoms and Lube [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Number of Participants who ordered HIV/STI home testing kits, condom and lube
- Number of Participants Reporting HIV Testing Over 6 Months [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Self-report HIV testing during 6 month study
- PrEP Uptake as Measured by Self Report [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Self-report of PrEP use
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03177512
|United States, Florida|
|University of South Florida, Department of Pediatrics|
|Tampa, Florida, United States, 33606|
|United States, Illinois|
|The CORE Center, Cook County Health and Hospitals System|
|Chicago, Illinois, United States, 60612|
|Study Chair:||Albert Liu, M.D., MPH||Bridge HIV, San Francisco Department of Public Health|
|Study Chair:||Hyman Scott, M.D., MPH||Bridge HIV, San Francisco Department of Public Health|