Examining the Effects of an Improvisation Group
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03147924|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 10, 2017
Last Update Posted : April 30, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Anxiety Depression Self Concept Alteration Social Support||Other: Improvisation Group||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||5 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Examining the Effects of an Improvisation Group on Social Anxiety Among Help-seeking Youth|
|Actual Study Start Date :||March 6, 2017|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||August 31, 2017|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||August 31, 2017|
Experimental: Attending Improvisation Group
Attended 3 or more Improvisation Group sessions
Other: Improvisation Group
The aim of this pilot study is to investigate the effects of improvisational comedy in a group of help-seeking youth at risk of developing a range of mental health disorders, including social anxiety.
- Change in Generalized Anxiety Disorder 7 (GAD-7) [ Time Frame: Pre-group and 12-weeks later (post group) ]A seven-item self-report anxiety questionnaire designed to monitor and assess the severity of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) symptoms.
- Change in Social Phobia Inventory (SPIN) [ Time Frame: Pre-group and 12-weeks later (post group) ]A seventeen-item questionnaire used to measure the severity of social anxiety.
- Change in Subjective Units of Distress Scale (SUDS) [ Time Frame: Pre and post every improv session for a duration of 12-weeks ]A thermometer scale used to track anxiety before and after each session
- Change in Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) [ Time Frame: Pre-group and 12-weeks later (post group) ]A nine-item questionnaire used to measure depression
- Change in Kessler Psychological Distress Scale (K-10) [ Time Frame: Pre-group and 12-weeks later (post group) ]A 10-item questionnaire intended to measure distress based on questions about anxiety and depressive symptoms.
- Change in Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale (RSES) [ Time Frame: Pre-group and 12-weeks later (post group) ]A 10-item questionnaire used to measure self-esteem.
- Change in Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support (MSPSS) [ Time Frame: Pre-group and 12-weeks later (post group) ]A 12-item questionnaire designed to measure perception of support from 3 sources: family, friends and significant other
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03147924
|Youth Wellness Centre|
|Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L9C3L7|
|Principal Investigator:||Juliana Tobon, PhD.,C.Psych||St. Joseph's Research Institute|