Physical Training in Patients With Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03092167|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : March 27, 2017
Last Update Posted : March 28, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies Physical Activity||Other: Physical exercises|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||40 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||15 idiopathic inflammatory myopathies submmited to physical exercises 15 idiopathic inflammatory myopathies not submmited to physcial exercises 10 healthy individuals|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Masking Description:||Open label|
|Primary Purpose:||Basic Science|
|Official Title:||Physical Training in Patients With Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies|
|Actual Study Start Date :||January 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||January 2022|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||January 2022|
Active Comparator: Case
Patients: this group will be submitted to 12-weeks, twice/week, physical exercises.
Other: Physical exercises
No Intervention: Control
Patients: this group will not be submitted to 12-weeks, twice/week, physical exercises.
No Intervention: Healthy control
Volunteers: this group will not be submitted to 12-weeks, twice/week, physical exercises.
- Cardiopulmonary test [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]Patients will undertake a maximal graded exercise test on a treadmill, with increments in velocity and grade at every minute until volitional exhaustion. VO2peak will be considered as the average of the final 30 s of the test. Ventilatory threshold (VAT) will be determined when ventilatory equivalent for VO2 (VE/VO2) increased without a concomitant increase in ventilatory equivalent for carbon dioxide (VE/VCO2). Respiratory compensation point (RCP) will be determined when VE/VO2 and VE/VCO2 increased simultaneously.
- Serum cytokines [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]Blood samples will be centrifuged at 3000 rpm for 15 min at 4°C, and the serum aliquot will be stored at -80°C for subsequent analyses. Cytokines (i.e., IL-6, TNF alpha, IFN gamma) will be measured using a multiplex human panel (Milliplex Map, Millipore, Billerica, MA, USA). Data analysis will be performed through Luminex xMAP Technology, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Strength muscle tests [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]The dynamic 1-RM for the leg-press and the bench-press exercises, arm curl (with the dominant arm).
- Muscle biopsies [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]After local anesthesia, a cutaneous incision will be made in lateral thigh face. The biopsy will be done using the Bergstrom needle. Histological (hematoxylin and eosin)/immunohistochemical (CD4, CD8, CD68, CD20, C5b-9, MHCI, MHCII, CD31) analysis will be performed in muscle samples (at baseline and after 12 weeks) in all patients (present study)
- Functional muscle tests [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]Isometric strength (assessed by handgrip, with the dominant arm) will be assessed at baseline and after the intervention. Muscle function will be evaluated through the TUG and the TST tests.
- Myositis Disease Activity Assessment Tool [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]This partially validated tool measures the degree of disease activity of extra-muscular organ systems and muscle. This is a combined tool that includes the Myositis Disease Activity Assessment Visual Analogue Scales (MYOACT), which is a series of physician's assessments of disease activity, and the Myositis Intention to Treat Activity Index (MITAX).
- Muscle enzymes [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]This partially validated tool measures the serum activities of at least 2 of the 4 muscle-associated enzymes including creatine phosphokinase (CK), the transaminases (ALT, AST), lactate dehydrogenase (LD) and aldolase.
- Health Assessment Questionnaire [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]Especific questionnaire (health assessment questionnaire). Pontuaction 0.00-3.00
- Manual Muscle Testing [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]This partially validated tool assesses muscle strength using manual muscle testing (MMT). A 0 - 10 point scale is proposed for use. An abbreviated group of 8 proximal, distal, and axial muscles performs similarly to a total of 24 muscle groups, and is also proposed for use for research studies.
- Patient/Parent Global Activity [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]This partially validated tool measures the global evaluation by the patient, or by the parent if the patient is a minor, of the patient's overall disease activity at the time of assessment using a 10 cm. visual analogue scale.
- Physician Global Activity [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]This partially validated tool measures the global evaluation by the treating physician of the overall disease activity of the patient at the time of assessment using a 10 cm. visual analogue scale and a 5 point Likert scale.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03092167
|Contact: Samuel K Shinjo, PhDfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Samuel Katsuyuki Shinjo||Recruiting|
|Sao Paulo, Brazil, 01246903|
|Contact: Samuel K Shinjo, PhD 55-11-3061-7176 email@example.com|
|Sub-Investigator: Diego S Oliveira|
|Sub-Investigator: Isabela BP Borges|
|Sub-Investigator: Marilda G Silva|
|Sub-Investigator: Rafael G Misse|
|Sub-Investigator: Leticia A Perin|
|Sub-Investigator: Alexandre M Santos|
|Sub-Investigator: Samara F Alves|
|Principal Investigator:||Samuel K Shinjo, PhD||Universidade de Sao Paulo - Rheumatology Division|