A Closed-loop Assessment and Treatment Platform for Mood Disorders
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02948036|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : October 28, 2016
Last Update Posted : October 20, 2017
Specific Aim 1: Finalize development of the closed-loop strategy in the Moodify application.
Specific Aim 2: Evaluate the acceptability and feasibility of the Moodify application with the target population to prepare for a large-scale efficacy trial.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Major Depressive Disorder||Other: Plasticity-based adaptive cognitive treatment||Not Applicable|
Specific Aim 1: Investigators have recently constructed a beta version of the Moodify application, comprised of the multi-modal assessment modules, several treatment modules and an initial version of the closed-loop algorithm to control treatment delivery. Utilizing the extensive experience in developing mobile assessment and treatment tools at Posit Science Corporation, the investigators will employ an iterative development process incorporating feedback from users (focus groups of patients with mood disorders), clinicians and scientists (project consultants) to achieve the following development goals: (1) Finalize Moodify's closed-loop algorithm to incorporate all assessment modules and expand the existing triage approach; (2) Expand cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) functions within the app; and (3) Expand in-app bi-directional communication feature between the clinician and user. At the completion of Specific Aim 1, the investigators will have a mobile app suitable for evaluation in a feasibility trial (Specific Aim 2).
Specific Aim 2: The investigators will conduct a single arm, open label feasibility field trial with 25 participants that meet criteria for Major Depressive Disorder (MDD). Participants will be asked to engage with the experimental cognitive treatment and spend up to six weeks engaged in 15 hours of cognitive training as an adjunct to their standard clinical treatment. The experimental cognitive treatment will be deployed as dictated by the closed loop predictive algorithm, with all patient data continuously accessible for remote monitoring by the attending clinicians and Posit Science Corporation (PSC) clinician and Principal Investigator, Dr. Thomas Van Vleet. Participants will be re-evaluated every two weeks during treatment use, and again at the expected time of completion of training, at 6 weeks, to evaluate changes in cognitive function. Participants will then stop using their assigned program for 6 weeks, and return for a follow-up assessment to evaluate the endurance of changes in cognitive function in the absence of further program use.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||25 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Closed-loop Assessment and Treatment Platform for Mood Disorders|
|Actual Study Start Date :||October 1, 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||September 2018|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||September 2018|
Other: Plasticity-based adaptive cognitive treatment
This study employs a mobile-device delivered treatment program. Participants will be asked to use the assigned treatment program for approximately 30 minutes per session, up to seven sessions per week, over 6 weeks (30 total sessions)
Other Name: Moodify
- Change scores for mood and depressive symptoms using Hamilton Rating Scale of Depression (HRDS-17) [ Time Frame: At 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and at 12 weeks ]
- Change scores for depressive symptoms using Beck Depression Scale (BDI-II) [ Time Frame: At 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and at 12 weeks ]
- Change scores for depressive symptoms using Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) [ Time Frame: At 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and at 12 weeks ]
- Change scores for depressive symptoms using Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology (QIDS) [ Time Frame: At 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and at 12 weeks ]
- Change scores for mood and anxiety symptoms using Mood and Anxiety Symptom Questionnaire (MASQ) [ Time Frame: At 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and at 12 weeks ]
- Change scores for anxiety symptoms using Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD-7) [ Time Frame: At 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and at 12 weeks ]
- Change scores for functional health and well being using the 12-Item Short Form Health Survey (SF-12) [ Time Frame: At 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and at 12 weeks ]
- Change scores for quality of life using the Quality of Life Enjoyment and Satisfaction Questionnaire (Q-LES-Q) [ Time Frame: At 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks and at 12 weeks ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02948036
|Contact: Sawsan Dabitemail@example.com|
|Contact: Dana Frostigfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|United States, California|
|Posit Science Corporation||Recruiting|
|San Francisco, California, United States, 94111|
|Contact: Sawsan Dabit, PhD 415-230-3741 email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator: Thomas Van Vleet, PhD|
|Sub-Investigator: Mor Nahum, PhD|