A Randomised Phase II Open-label Study With a Phase Ib Safety lead-in Cohort of ONCOS-102, an Immune-priming GM-CSF Coding Oncolytic Adenovirus, and Pemetrexed/Cisplatin in Patients With Unresectable Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02879669|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified October 2020 by Targovax ASA ( Targovax Oy ).
Recruitment status was: Active, not recruiting
First Posted : August 26, 2016
Last Update Posted : October 8, 2020
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- Results Submitted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|To Determine Safety, Tolerability and Efficacy of ONCOS-102 in Combination With Chemotherapy||Biological: ONCOS-102 Drug: Pemetrexed/cisplatin (carboplatin) Drug: Cyclophosphamide||Phase 1 Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||31 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Randomised Phase II Open-label Study With a Phase Ib Safety lead-in Cohort of ONCOS-102, an Immune-priming GM-CSF Coding Oncolytic Adenovirus, and Pemetrexed/Cisplatin in Patients With Unresectable Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma|
|Study Start Date :||June 2016|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||May 2020|
Experimental: ONCOS-102+cyclophosphamide+pemetrexed/cisplatin (carboplatin)
ONCOS-102 will be administered in a priming cycle (Cycle 1) comprising injections on Days 1, 4, 8 and 36, followed by two treatment cycles at intervals of 6 weeks (Cycle 2, Day 78 and Cycle 3, Day 120). Pre-treatment with an i.v. bolus of cyclophosphamide (CPO) will be given 1 to 3 days before the first administration of ONCOS-102 (Cycle 1, Day 1) and before administration of Cycle 2 of ONCOS-102 (Day 78). Patients will also receive pemetrexed/cisplatin (carboplatin) in 21-day cycles starting on Day 22 and continuing as applicable during the study period of 6 cycles of pemetrexed/cisplatin (carboplatin) in combination with ONCOS-102.
Drug: Pemetrexed/cisplatin (carboplatin)
Active Comparator: Pemetrexed/cisplatin (carboplatin)
Patients will be treated with pemetrexed/cisplatin (carboplatin) in 21-day cycles starting on Day 1, and continuing as applicable during the study period of 6 cycles of chemotherapy. Patients will be monitored regularly for immunological assessment (PBMCs) including Month 9 and Month 12 (i.e., after the end of study visit), and will be followed up for survival every 3 months until end of life.
Drug: Pemetrexed/cisplatin (carboplatin)
- Number of patients with any (Serious and Non-Serious) Adverse Event measured to assess safety and tolerability [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- To determine and compare tumour-specific immunological activation in the peripheral blood in the experimental group and the control group. Number of patients in the respective arms with induction of Tumor specific CD8+ T Cells in PBMC [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- To determine and compare immunological activation in tumour mass in the experimental group and the control Group. Number of patients in the respective arms with infiltration of CD8+ T Cells into tumours [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- To determine and compare overall response rate in the experimental group and the control group by number of patients with PD, SD, PR and CR in the respective arms [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- To determine and compare progression-free survival (PFS) in the experimental group and the control group by median time to progression in the respective arms [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- To determine and compare overall survival (OS) in the experimental group and the control group [ Time Frame: Until death ]
- To analyse immunological activation by comparing patients with and without presence of tumour antigen recognizing CD8+ T cells [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- To analyse clinical outcome by time to event endpoints (OS and PFS) [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Written informed consent.
- Male or female, ≥18 years of age.
Histologically confirmed unresectable (advanced) malignant pleural mesothelioma in patients who are not candidates for curative surgery and for whom therapy with pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin or carboplatin is considered appropriate. This include:
- patients who are naïve to chemotherapy,
- and those who have already received pemetrexed in combination with cisplatin or carboplatin to which their tumour initially responded, but they have relapsed after at least 6 months.
The patient may be evaluated by a multidisciplinary consultation (according to hospital procedure), however the final decision about the inclusion of a patient is made by the principal investigator.
- Measurable disease according to Response Evaluation in Solid Tumour (RECIST 1.1).
- Tumour must be accessible to intratumoural (i.t.) injections and to tumour core needle biopsy or thoracoscopy for tissue sampling and immunohistochemistry analysis.
- The patients must be eligible to receive the study specific chemotherapies, including cyclophosphamide, according to the SPCs and local practice.
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG)/World Health Organization (WHO) performance score 0 to 1.
- Acceptable liver, renal, and haematological functions.
- All women of childbearing potential must have a negative urine or serum pregnancy test at screening and all patients must agree to use barrier contraception (i.e. condom) during study treatment and for 2 months after the last virus treatment, 6 months after the last dose of pemetrexed/cisplatin/carboplatin and 12 months after the dose of cyclophosphamide.
- Receipt of oncolytic virus treatment, or vaccination with a vaccine containing live virus within 4 weeks before Day 1.
- Use of significant immunosuppressive medication, including high dose corticosteroid (defined as the equivalent of >10 mg/day prednisone) within 4 weeks before Day 1.
- Patients who participated in a study with an investigational drug or device within 4 weeks prior to Day 1.
- Active bacterial, viral, or fungal infections, requiring systemic therapy.
- Severe arrhythmia, heart failure, previous cardiac infarction, or acute inflammatory heart disease.
- Concomitant disease or condition that could interfere with the conduct of the study, or that would, in the opinion of the Investigator, pose an unacceptable risk to the patient, if included in this study.
- Known infection with HIV, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C.
- Known brain metastases.
- History of organ transplant.
- Females who are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Unwillingness or inability to comply with the study protocol for any reason.
- Patients with pre-existing hearing loss or neuropathy that may worsen due to potential neurotoxicity from cisplatin.
- Patients with a history of hypersensitivity to cisplatin or carboplatin or pemetrexed or cyclophosphamide (or any of its metabolites).
- Patients who are taking phenytoin for prophylactic use.
- History of malignant tumour, unless the patient has been without evidence of disease for at least 3 years, or the tumour was a non-melanoma skin tumour, cervical carcinoma in situ, or prostatic carcinoma in situ.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02879669
|Centre Georges-François Leclerc|
|CHU de Rennes - Pontchaillou|
|Hospital Universitario Quirón|
|Vall d'Hebron Univerity Hospital|
|Hospital Universitari de Girona Doctor Josep Trueta - Institut Català d'Oncologia|
|Hospital 12 de octubre|
|Hospital Universitario HM Sanchinarro|
|Responsible Party:||Targovax Oy|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
2015-005143-13 ( EudraCT Number )
|First Posted:||August 26, 2016 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||October 8, 2020|
|Last Verified:||October 2020|
Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial
Neoplasms by Histologic Type
Respiratory Tract Neoplasms
Neoplasms by Site
Respiratory Tract Diseases
Physiological Effects of Drugs
Antineoplastic Agents, Alkylating
Molecular Mechanisms of Pharmacological Action
Folic Acid Antagonists
Nucleic Acid Synthesis Inhibitors