The Effect of Whole Body Cryotherapy on Recovery and Performance: a Randomized Controlled Trial (Cryotherapy)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02847663|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : July 28, 2016
Last Update Posted : August 8, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Cold||Device: Kryosauna Space Cabin Other: cold water tub||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Basic Science|
|Official Title:||The Effect of Whole Body Cryotherapy on Recovery and Performance: a Randomized Controlled Trial|
|Study Start Date :||April 2016|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||March 2018|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 2018|
Experimental: Whole-body cryotherapy
The effects of whole-body cryotherapy (-135°C for 2 minutes) are investigated after a muscle damage protocol.
Device: Kryosauna Space Cabin
The whole body cryotherapy device is able to generatue temperatures up to -195°C for 3 minutes. In this study, we generate temperatures of -135°C for 2 minutes as proposed in the manual. The participant will enter the cabin in cold-resistant shoes and will remain in standing position during the whole procedure. The cold temperature is generated by vaporization of liquid nitrogen.
Other Name: Cryomed s.r.o.
The effects of cold-water immersion (10°C for 15 minutes) are investigated after a muscle damage protocol.
Other: cold water tub
The tub will be filled with cold water up to the sternal level of the participants. Adding ice will ensure a constant temperature. The participant will sit inside the tub during the whole procedure.
- Vertical Jump [ Time Frame: 72 hours ]Vertical Jump will be assessed in cm with the Just Jump Plate
- Maximum voluntary contraction [ Time Frame: 72 hours ]Maximum voluntary contraction will be assessed in kg on a custom made ergometer chair (COR 1)
- Delayed onset of muscle soreness [ Time Frame: 72 hours ]DOMS will be assessed using a visual analog scale (0-10 cm)
- Ratings of perceived exertion [ Time Frame: 72 hours ]RPE will be assessed using a BORG scale (6-20)
- Skin temperature [ Time Frame: 60 minutes ]Skin temperature of the neck, right scapula, right dorsal hand, right frontal thigh, right shin are assessed in °C using thermocouples (iButtons)
- Core temperature [ Time Frame: 60 minutes ]Core temperature will be assessed in °C via the ear
- Cardiovascular measurements [ Time Frame: 60 min ]Heart rate will be measured in beats per minute and bloop pressure will be measured in mm/Hg using an blood pressure monitor
- Oxygenation of the right thigh muscle [ Time Frame: 60 min ]Oxygenation of the right thigh muscle will be assessed in % using a near infrared spectometer.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02847663
|Landquart, Switzerland, 7302|
|Principal Investigator:||Ronaldus Clijsen, PhD||Fachhochschule Südschweiz|