Stress Management Using an App to Improve Response With PDE5 Inhibitors in Men With Erectile Dysfunction.
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02757807|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified July 2016 by Eco Fusion.
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
First Posted : May 2, 2016
Last Update Posted : July 20, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Erectile Dysfunction||Behavioral: Utilization of Serenita for Relaxation||Not Applicable|
The etiology of erectile dysfunction (ED) has been investigated in many studies. Most often, ED is proposed to have a multifactorial etiology, with organic and/or psychogenic causal factors hypothesized to affect erectile function. Numerous studies show that Deep and Slow Breathing (DSB) reduces stress and anxiety.
Since ED is multifactorial, many physicians rely solely on phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE-5) inhibitors to increase blood flow to the arteries to maintain an erection. Although it works in many patients, some patients can get overly anxious prior to sexual intercourse and not be able to produce or maintain an erection. While some patients may realize that DSB may improve their anxiety they don't know how to perform DSB properly. We hypothesize that by providing software interactivity on deep and slow breathing to this group of ED patients, may in turn help reduce their anxiety, thus, maximize the effect of PDE5 inhibitors. The app called "Serenita" for mobile phones, designed by Eco-Fusion will be utilized in this study. The app performs two functions: it detects stress and focus level and It guides the user through a personalized breathing exercise designed to reduce stress and increase focus. Breathing as a method to treat stress has three scientifically validated variations, the deep diaphragmatic breathing, used for centuries as part of Yoga which often refers as Yogic breathing, biofeedback breathing, a method in which the user sees in real-time how his breathing affects his stress level, and coherence breathing, a method that synchronizes breathing pace with heart rhythms. The technology embedded in Serenita app combines all three methods into a personalized guided breathing regimen. The app acquires data by turning the mobile phone's camera into a biomedical sensor which peers into a person's blood stream, obtaining heart rate, heart rate variability and breathing pace. Then the app processes the data obtained to assess user's stress and focus level.
This study will utilize 6 standardized questionnaires to assess changes in patients' responses while using the app:
- Erectile Performance Anxiety Index (EPAI), which will ask questions that assess anxiety about being able to achieve or maintain an erection during sexual activity.
- International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF), which will ask questions about sexual encounters for the past four weeks.
- Psychological and Interpersonal Relationship Scales (PAIRS), which will ask questions about sexual self-confidence, time concerns and spontaneity with sexual encounters.
- Self-Esteem and Relationship (SEAR), which will ask questions about sexual relationship, confidence, stress ad perceived stress and overall sexual relationship for the past four weeks.
- Sexual Encounter Profile (SEP), which will ask question about each sexual attempt.
- Global Assessment Question, which will ask question at end of study if this app has improved erectile function.
These questionnaires are conducted online for easy access and completion. There are no office visits.
Registration to the study could be done at: http://eepurl.com/b3DcP1
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||100 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Stress Management Using an App to Improve Response With PDE5 Inhibitors in Men With Erectile Dysfunction.|
|Study Start Date :||July 2016|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 2016|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 2016|
Experimental: Utilization of Serenita for Relaxation
Intervention is that Users continue to take their PDE-5 Inhibitor prior to sexual interaction and IN ADDITION Utilize the Serenita App daily and before any sexual encounters.
Behavioral: Utilization of Serenita for Relaxation
Users to use Serenita daily and before sexual interaction in order to assess stress and reduce it
- Global Assessment Profile measured by a survey [ Time Frame: 1 month ]If the treatment has improved their erectile function
- Index of Erectile Function measured by a survey [ Time Frame: 1 month ]if the treatment has improved erectile function
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02757807
|Contact: Oren Furst, Ph.D.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|United States, New York|
|New York, New York, United States, 10025|
|Contact: Oren Fuerst, Ph.D. email@example.com|