Study to Estimate Radiation Doses and Cancer Risks From Radioactive Fallout From the Trinity Nuclear Test
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02734303|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 12, 2016
Last Update Posted : April 5, 2018
The first nuclear bomb test took place in New Mexico in July 1945. This was called the Trinity test. Researchers want to learn how it affected the health of people who lived in New Mexico at the time of the test. To do this, they want to learn about the diet and daily life of those people at that time. They want to study Native Americans, Hispanic/Latinos, and non-Hispanic/Latino whites.
To learn about the health risks for people who may have been exposed to radiation from the Trinity nuclear test.
- Are Native American, Hispanic/Latino, or non-Hispanic white
- Are age 70 and older
- Lived near the fallout region of the Trinity test and know about lifestyle and dietary patterns in New Mexico in the 1940s and 1950s
Participants will be screened with a questionnaire.
Participants will answer questions in an interview or a focus group. This will be at a place like an office, tribal or community center, or library. It will take up to 2 hours. The interview or group session will include:
- Questions about their and their family members activities and eating habits in the 1940s and 1950s
- A card-sorting exercise: There will be cards with pictures and names of certain foods. They will sort the cards into 2 piles: those that were consumed and those that were not.
- Filling out a chart of their family members and the foods they ate
If participants give permission, their interview or group session will be recorded.
|Condition or disease|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||90 participants|
|Observational Model:||Ecologic or Community|
|Official Title:||Study to Estimate Radiation Doses and Cancer Risks From Radioactive Fallout From the Trinity Nuclear Test|
|Study Start Date :||April 6, 2016|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||September 12, 2017|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||January 26, 2018|
- Diet [ Time Frame: Ongoing ]
- Lifestyle [ Time Frame: Ongoing ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02734303
|United States, New Mexico|
|University of New Mexico|
|Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States, 87131|
|Principal Investigator:||Steven L Simon||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|