Cervical Length and Bishop Score in Preinduction Cervical Assessment Prior to Induction of Labor
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02694315|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : February 29, 2016
Results First Posted : November 7, 2016
Last Update Posted : November 7, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Cervical Dystocia||Other: Bishop score Other: cervical length|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||200 participants|
|Official Title:||Comparison Between Sonographic Cervical Length and Bishop Score in Preinduction Cervical Assessment Prior to Induction of Labor as Regards Induction Success|
|Study Start Date :||October 2014|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||March 2016|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 2016|
Induction of labor
200 women all are primigravida between 37-42 weeks gestation to whom induction of labor will be carried out in the casualty of Ain Shams University Maternity Hospital. All participants will have an assessment of the cervix by both Bishop score system and transvaginal measurement of cervical length.
Other: Bishop score
calculation of modified Bishop score in numbers by digital vaginal examination
Other: cervical length
measuring cervical length by trans-vaginal ultrasound
- Cervical Length Prior to Labor Induction [ Time Frame: 24 hours ]median cervical length measured by transvaginal ultrasound in centimetres
- Bishop Score Prior to Induction of Labor [ Time Frame: 72 hours ]
median Bishop score assessed by digital vaginal examination as follows:
- Cervical dilatation in centimeters will be given a score of zero if closed, a score of 1 if 1-2 cm dilated, a score of 2 if 3-4 cm dilated and a score of 3 if 5 cm or more dilataion.
- Effacement of the cervix will be given a score of zero if 0-30%, a score of 1 if 40-50%, a score of 2 if 60-70% and a score of 3 if 80% or more.
- Station of fetal head will be given a score of zero if -3, a score of 1 if -2, a score of 2 if -1 to zero and a score of 3 if 1 or more.
- Consistency of the cervix will be given a score of zero if firm, a score of 1 if medium and a score of 2 if soft.
- Position of the cervix will be given a score of zero if posterior, a score of 1 if mid position and a score of 2 if anterior. So, a total score (sum of all scores) of zero at a minimum to 10 at a maximum can be estimated.
Note that a score more than 10 means patient is in labor not needing induction of labor.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02694315
|Ain Shams maternity hospital|