A Study to Assess ARI-3037MO on Hepatic Fat Metabolism in Patients With Dysglycemia and Evidence of Hepatic Steatosis
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02574325|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified October 2015 by Arisaph Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Recruitment status was: Active, not recruiting
First Posted : October 12, 2015
Last Update Posted : August 8, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis||Drug: Placebo Drug: ARI-3037MO||Phase 2|
This randomized,double-blind, placebo-controlled study will enroll 36 men and women with a diagnosis of NAFLD orNASH. The study will be conducted over a period of approximately 28 wks and will include:a Screening Phase (Days -14to -1); a 24-week long Treatment Phase, during which patients will be randomly assigned to receive ARI-3037MO or placebo; an End-of-study Visit (ESV) scheduled 2 wks after the end of the Treatment Phase The Screening Phase will include 2 visits. Visit 1:There will be an initial assessment of a patient's eligibility for participation in the study. A complete medical history will be obtained and prospective study patients will undergo physical examinations and laboratory evaluations. For patients who have had a liver biopsy in the 6months prior to Visit 1, the histology findings, i.e., NAS, steatosis score and fibrosis score will be recorded. Visit 2:Approximately 1 week after Visit 1, and after the results of clinical laboratory screening test results have been reviewed by the Principal Investigator (PI), patients will be contacted to advise them of their eligibility to continue in the study. Eligible patients will undergo liver magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to assess intrahepatic fat content. Treatment Phase Patients with MRI results showing intrahepatic fat content of ≥10% will be entered into the Treatment Phase of the study. The Treatment Phase will include 4 outpatient visits over a period of 24 weeks. Visit 3:Patients will be randomly assigned to receive ARI-3037MO or placebo on Day 1 of a 24-week long outpatient treatment period. Baseline assessments, including FibroTest®, FibroScan® and clinical laboratory tests, will be performed, and patients will take study drug twice daily. Visits 4, 5 and 6: During the Treatment Phase, patients will visit the study clinic at 4, 12 and 24 weeks (± 4 days) after Day 1 for evaluations and examinations and to collect study drug. Twenty-four weeks after the start of dosing, at the end of the Treatment Phase, patients will undergo a follow-up MRI and FibroScan† to assess change from baseline in intrahepatic fat content and liver fibrosis, respectively.
†If FibroScan equipment is available at the study site End-of-Study Visit Visit 7:An ESV will occur 2 weeks (± 4 days) after the end of the Treatment Phase.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||11 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Triple (Participant, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Study Start Date :||October 2015|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||October 2016|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 2016|
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
- Efficacy as measured by change in intra hepatic fat content [ Time Frame: 24 wks ]Change in intra hepatic fat content by MRI
- Efficacy as measured by change in plasma ALT levels [ Time Frame: 24 wks ]Change in plasma ALT levels from baseline
- Efficacy as measured by change in plasma TG levels [ Time Frame: 24 wks ]Change in plasma TG levels from baseline
- Safety as measured by the occurrence of flushing (number of episodes) and itching (number of episodes) [ Time Frame: 24 wks ]Occurrence of cutaneous symptoms
- Safety as measured by effect of ARI-3037MO on on glycemic control [ Time Frame: 24 wks ]Change in HbA1c levels from baseline
- Safety as measured by effect of ARI-3037MO on serum bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, Prothrombin time and plasma albumin levels [ Time Frame: 24 wks ]Change of liver function tests from baseline
- Safety as measured by effect of ARI-3037MO on gastrointestinal systems; episodes of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea [ Time Frame: 24 wks ]occurrence of GI symptoms
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02574325
|United States, Missouri|
|Gastroenterology & Hepatology CRU, St Louis University|
|St Louis, Missouri, United States, 63104|