Working...
ClinicalTrials.gov
ClinicalTrials.gov Menu
Trial record 45 of 831 for:    Texas Children's Hospital | ( Map: United States )

Rapid Infusion Rituximab, Hematologic, Oncologic, and Rheumatologic Disorders

The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02484053
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 29, 2015
Last Update Posted : July 11, 2018
Sponsor:
Collaborator:
Texas Children's Hospital
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Jenny Despotovic, Baylor College of Medicine

Brief Summary:

Rituximab is frequently used in adult and pediatric cancers, blood disorders, lymphoma (a cancerous growth made up of lymphoid tissue), graft-versus-host-disease (complication that can occur after a stem cell or bone marrow transplant), diseases of the immune system (the cells and substances that protect the body from infection) and rheumatologic conditions. Rituximab works by decreasing or temporarily eliminating a specific type of white blood cell, the B-lymphocyte. Overall, rituximab is generally well tolerated. The likelihood of an infusion-related reaction, or symptoms such as fever, chills, hives, low blood pressure or swelling, is very low, but highest during a patient's first infusion of rituximab and decreases with each additional dose. Adults commonly receive rituximab at a faster rate if they have done well with the first infusion, this study will help determine if the same approach is well tolerated in children.

In this study, the investigators are testing a new method of administering rituximab which may reduce the time it takes to receive the medication. The initial ordered amount of rituximab will not change from the current standard of care (meaning what is usually done by doctors, and would likely be done if you were not on this study). The period of time over which rituximab is given is what is being studied.


Condition or disease Intervention/treatment Phase
Hematologic Disorders Oncologic Disorders Rheumatologic Disorders Drug: Rituximab Early Phase 1

Detailed Description:

The standard of care in patients receiving rituximab is to give the dose slowly and gradually increase the rate of rituximab until the full dose is given, which may take several hours. This is done in order to prevent a side effect of rituximab called an infusion reaction. Infusion reactions are similar to allergic reactions and may cause symptoms such as low blood pressure, wheezing, chest tightness, fever, itching, bad cough, blue skin color, seizures, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.

In this study, the investigators are testing the method of giving rituximab over a shorter period of time. Administering rituximab at this faster rate is done commonly and safely in the adult population with very few side effects.

The drug rituximab will be given as an infusion in the outpatient clinic. Infusion means the drug is given using a needle or tubing inserted into a vein (also called an IV) over a period of time.

If patients have a cancer or blood disorder, they will receive rituximab administration over 90 minutes, 20% of the dose will be given over the first 30 minutes and the remaining 80% of the dose will be given over 60 minutes. This is the standard method of infusing doses of rituximab in adults who have a cancer or blood disorder, and have done well with a first dose of rituximab at the standard infusion rate.

If patients have a rheumatologic disease, they will receive rituximab administration over 120 minutes, 12.5% of the dose will be given over the first 30 minutes and the remaining 87.5% of the dose will be given over 90 minutes. This is the standard method of infusing doses of rituximab in adults who have a rheumatologic disorder, and have done well with a first dose of rituximab at the standard infusion rate.

During this time, the investigator will also assess to see if patients have any side effects from receiving the faster infusion and for 15 minutes following the end of the infusion. Patients will also be followed up by phone or in clinic one week after the rapid infusion of rituximab to see if they have any side effects.

Before patients receive rituximab, they will receive acetaminophen and diphenhydramine. These medications are given to help prevent an infusion reaction from occurring. These medications are always given no matter how quickly rituximab is given.

If an infusion reaction occurs, the rituximab infusion will stop and patients will receive medications to help reverse the reaction. Once the reaction has gone away, the patient's doctor will determine if and how they will receive the rest of their rituximab dose.

Patients will receive one rapid infusion of rituximab as part of their participation in this study. If patients did not have an infusion-related reaction they are eligible to receive subsequent infusions off protocol at the discretion of the provider.

Patients will be asked to allow us to view and collect information from their medical records prior to their infusion to ensure eligibility and obtain baseline data, as needed on the day of their infusion and through the next clinical follow up to monitor for side effects from the infusion. Data collected from the medical records includes but is not limited to, demographic information (age, race/ethnicity, weight, diagnoses, and indication for rituximab).


Layout table for study information
Study Type : Interventional  (Clinical Trial)
Actual Enrollment : 20 participants
Allocation: Non-Randomized
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
Official Title: Implementation of Rapid Infusion Rituximab in a Pilot Group of Adolescents With Hematologic, Oncologic, and Rheumatologic Disorders
Study Start Date : June 2015
Actual Primary Completion Date : January 2017
Actual Study Completion Date : January 2017

Resource links provided by the National Library of Medicine

MedlinePlus related topics: Blood Disorders
Drug Information available for: Rituximab

Arm Intervention/treatment
Experimental: Rheumatologic disease
Rituximab is administered over 120 minutes, 12.5% of the dose will be given over the first 30 minutes and the remaining 87.5% of the dose will be given over 90 minutes.
Drug: Rituximab
Giving rituximab as a rapid infusion over a period of 90 or 120 minutes.

Experimental: Cancer or blood disorder
Rituximab is administered over 90 minutes, 20% of the dose will be given over the first 30 minutes and the remaining 80% of the dose will be given over 60 minutes.
Drug: Rituximab
Giving rituximab as a rapid infusion over a period of 90 or 120 minutes.




Primary Outcome Measures :
  1. To determine the safety of rapid infusion rituximab in a pilot group of adolescent patients for hematologic, oncologic, and rheumatologic disorders. [ Time Frame: 6 weeks ]
    To be measured by the administration of rapid infusion rituximab without requiring modifications to therapy as a result of adverse reactions


Secondary Outcome Measures :
  1. To determine the incidence of infusion-related reactions with the administration of rapid infusion rituximab [ Time Frame: 6 weeks ]
    To be measured as the number of patients who experience a grade 3 or higher infusion-related reaction



Information from the National Library of Medicine

Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.


Layout table for eligibility information
Ages Eligible for Study:   1 Year to 19 Years   (Child, Adult)
Sexes Eligible for Study:   All
Accepts Healthy Volunteers:   No
Criteria

Inclusion Criteria:

  • Previously received and tolerated at least one rituximab infusion via standard infusion administration. *No modifications or adjustment to the infusion, or treatment with any anaphylaxis reaction medications required
  • No history of Grades 3 or 4 infusion reaction to rituximab based on the NIH Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) version 4.03
  • Prescribed rituximab with the following indications and doses for administration in the outpatient setting:

    • Hematologic or oncologic indication: 100 mg/m^2 or 375 mg/m^2
    • Rheumatologic indication: 375-750 mg/m^2 (total dose not to exceed 1000 mg)

Exclusion Criteria:

  • Any patient not meeting the inclusion criteria.
  • Any patient who does not consent to the pilot protocol.
  • Any patient on a clinical trial where the infusion rate of rituximab is prescribed by the clinical trial.
  • Any patient who required rescue or symptomatic treatment with steroids, antihistamines, or epinephrine during prior rituximab infusions.
  • Any patient who has received a bone marrow transplant.

Information from the National Library of Medicine

To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.

Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02484053


Locations
Layout table for location information
United States, Texas
Texas Children's Hospital
Houston, Texas, United States, 77030
Sponsors and Collaborators
Baylor College of Medicine
Texas Children's Hospital
Investigators
Layout table for investigator information
Principal Investigator: Jenny Despotovic, MD Baylor College of Medicine

Layout table for additonal information
Responsible Party: Jenny Despotovic, Assistant Professor, Baylor College of Medicine
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02484053     History of Changes
Other Study ID Numbers: H-35628 Rituximab
First Posted: June 29, 2015    Key Record Dates
Last Update Posted: July 11, 2018
Last Verified: July 2018

Layout table for additional information
Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product: Yes
Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product: No

Keywords provided by Jenny Despotovic, Baylor College of Medicine:
adult and pediatric cancers
blood disorders
lymphoma
graft-versus-host-disease
diseases of the immune system

Additional relevant MeSH terms:
Layout table for MeSH terms
Disease
Hematologic Diseases
Collagen Diseases
Rheumatic Diseases
Pathologic Processes
Connective Tissue Diseases
Musculoskeletal Diseases
Rituximab
Antineoplastic Agents, Immunological
Antineoplastic Agents
Immunologic Factors
Physiological Effects of Drugs
Antirheumatic Agents