Comparison Between Radiofrequency and Balloon Compression in the Treatment of Idiopathic Trigeminal Neuralgia
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02427074|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : April 27, 2015
Last Update Posted : March 20, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Trigeminal Neuralgia||Procedure: Balloon Compression Rhizotomy Procedure: Radiofrequency Thermal Coagulation Rhizotomy||Not Applicable|
Patients diagnosed with idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia, refractory or intolerant to medical treatment, are randomly assigned (after signing a consent form), to receive one of two percutaneous procedures. The patients are evaluated a week before and a week, a month, two months, three months and six months after the surgery.
The questionnaires (Short-Form of the McGill Pain Questionnaire - SF-MPQ, Douleur Neuropathique - DN4, Neuropathic Pain Symptom Inventory - NPSI, Brief Pain Inventory - BPI, Global Clinical Impression - GCI, Hospital Anxiety and Depression - HAD, Brief World Health Organization Quality of Life Questionnaire - WHOQOL-brief, Pain Catastrophizing Scale - PCS) and tests (Quantitative Sensory Testing - QST, olfactory threshold - OT - and discrimination - OD, taste threshold - TT, and salivatory quantification - SQ) are applied as follows:
- Pre-op evaluation: SF-MPQ, DN4, BPI, NPSI, HAD, WHOQOL-brief, PCS, QST, OT, OD, TT, SQ.
- First visit post-op: SF-MPQ, BPI, NPSI, GCI
- Second visit post-op: SF-MPQ, BPI, NPSI, GCI
- Third visit post-op: SF-MPQ, BPI, NPSI, GCI
- Fourth visit post-op: SF-MPQ, DN4, BPI, NPSI, GCI, WHOQOL-brief, HAD, PCS, QST, OT, TT, SQ.
- Fifth visit post-op: SF-MPQ, DN4, BPI, NPSI, GCI, WHOQOL-brief, HAD, PCS, QST, OT, OD, TT, SQ.
Patients with pain recurrence are excluded after the last visit attended. An exploratory analysis is made with 30 patients for a proper sample size calculation during the study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Comparative Study Between Radiofrequency and Balloon Compression of the Gasserian Ganglion in the Treatment of Idiopathic Trigeminal Neuralgia|
|Study Start Date :||February 2014|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||March 2018|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||September 2019|
Active Comparator: Balloon Compression Rhizotomy
Patients that are submitted to Balloon Compression Rhizotomy
Procedure: Balloon Compression Rhizotomy
The balloon compression rhizotomy is performed in a percutaneous fashion where a Fogarty catheter is positioned in the gasserian ganglion and inflated with 0,7 milliliters of radiopaque dye during 120 seconds.
Active Comparator: Radiofrequency Thermal Coagulation Rhizotomy
Patients that are submitted to Radiofrequency Thermal Coagulation Rhizotomy
Procedure: Radiofrequency Thermal Coagulation Rhizotomy
The gasserian ganglion is submitted to a controlled thermal coagulation with a electrode with 80 Celsius degrees of temperature during 60 seconds on the specific division.
- Pain relief using the visual analogic scale [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Average pain using the visual analogic scale in the Brief Pain Inventory
- Changes in how the pain is perceived by the patient assessed by the Short-Form of the McGill Pain Questionnaire [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Short-Form of the McGill Pain Questionnaire
- Changes in neuropathic pain quality assessed by Douleur Neuropatique 4 [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Douleur Neuropatique 4
- Evaluation of chronic pain and its influence in patients life assessed by Brief Pain Inventory [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Brief Pain Inventory
- Changes in types of symptoms of neuropathic pain assessed by Neuropathic Pain Symptom Inventory [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Neuropathic Pain Symptom Inventory
- Changes in quality of life assessed by World Health Organization Quality of Life - brief form [ Time Frame: 6 months ]World Health Organization Quality of Life - brief form
- Both patient and investigator impression in the treatment assessed by Global Clinical Impression [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Global Clinical Impression
- Evaluation of how pain affects patients perception assessed by Pain Catastrophizing Scale [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Pain Catastrophizing Scale
- Onset of changes in anxiety or depression assessed by Hospital Anxiety and Depression [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Hospital Anxiety and Depression
- Quantification of facial sensibility changes assessed by Quantitative Sensorial Testing [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Quantitative Sensorial Testing
- Changes in olfactory threshold assessed by isopropanol solution [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Olfactory Threshold using isopropanol solution
- Changes in gustatory threshold assessed using sweet, sour, salty and bitter solutions [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Gustatory Threshold using sweet, sour, salty and bitter solutions
- Changes in salivary flow assessed using cotton weights [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Evaluation of salivary flow using cotton weights
- Changes in olfactory discrimination assessed using Sniffin' Sticks [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Using Sniffin' Sticks to evaluate olfactory discrimination
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02427074
|São Paulo, SP, Brazil, 05403000|
|Study Chair:||Daniel Ciampi, MD, PhD||HCFMSUP|