A Phase Ib/2 Clinical Study of Fruquintinib Combined With Paclitaxel in the Treatment of Advanced Gastric Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02415023|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 14, 2015
Last Update Posted : February 17, 2020
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Gastric Cancer||Drug: fruquintinib+paclitaxel||Phase 1 Phase 2|
In dose escalation period, 12-24 patients with advanced gastric cancer will be enrolled. Patients meeting enrollment eligibility will receive 28-day cycles of fruquintinib 2-5 mg qd combined with paclitaxel 80 mg/m2. Safety information and pharmacokinetic data will be collected till disease progression or intolerable toxicity to determine MTD and/or RPTD of fruquintinib combined with paclitaxel in patients with advanced gastric cancer. This period will include the following 4 dose groups from low to high:
A: Fruquintinib 2 mg qd for 3 weeks followed by 1-week break + paclitaxel 80 mg/m2 once a week during the first three weeks of each cycle B: Fruquintinib 3 mg qd for 3 weeks followed by 1-week break + paclitaxel 80 mg/m2 once a week during the first three weeks of each cycle C: Fruquintinib 4 mg qd for 3 weeks followed by 1-week break + paclitaxel 80 mg/m2 once a week during the first three weeks of each cycle D: Fruquintinib 5 mg qd for 3 weeks followed by 1-week break + paclitaxel 80mg/m2 once a week during the first three weeks of each cycle This study will use traditional 3+3 trial design (3 subjects will be enrolled in each dose group first. If 1 case of DLT is observed, additional 3 subjects will be enrolled in the same dose group to further evaluate toxicity) to observe DLT and evaluate MTD. If there are 2 or more cases of DLT in one dose group, the group lower than this dose group by one level is MTD dose group. At least 6 subjects are required in MTD dose group for confirmation. If MTD is not achieved at the end of dose escalation and there are 6 subjects in the highest dose group, RPTD can be determined based on obtained safety, tolerability, PK and efficacy information. Dose escalation and study in the next dose group can be initiated only after the first treatment cycle (DLT window observation period) is completed and subject safety and tolerability are confirmed in this dose group (0/3 or ≤1/6 subjects experience DLT).
Subjects in the original dose group will continue to receive the next cycle of treatment at the original dose till disease progression or treatment withdrawal due to any of the following reasons: 1) death, 2) intolerable toxicity, 3) pregnancy, 4) the investigator considers the study should be terminated for the subject's best interests, 5) the subject or legal representative requests withdrawal, 6) loss to follow-up, 7) the subject has poor compliance and cannot comply with the study protocol.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||34 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase Ib/2 Clinical Study to Evaluate the Safety, Pharmacokinetic Characteristics and Preliminary Efficacy of Fruquintinib Combined With Paclitaxel in Patients With Advanced Gastric Cancer|
|Actual Study Start Date :||November 9, 2014|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||March 31, 2017|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 31, 2017|
fruquintinib combined with paclitaxel. Fruquintinib treatment: administration for 3 weeks followed by 1-week break, and administration every day for the first 21 days.Paclitaxel is administered once weekly in the first three weeks of each cycle.
28-day cycle of fruquintinib qd for 3 weeks followed by 1-week break combined with paclitaxel 80 mg/m2
Other Name: HMPL-013+paclitaxel
- incidence of DLT [ Time Frame: every subject's DLT observation window is 4 weeks ]
- progression free survival of RP2D [ Time Frame: from first dose up to progressive disease or EOT due to any cause, assessed up to 1 year ]using RECIST v1.1 progressive disease (PD), using RECIST v 1.1
- safety and tolerance [ Time Frame: From first dose to within 30 days after the last dose ]Safety and tolerance will be evaluated by incidence, severity and outcomes of adverse events (AEs) and categorized by severity in accordance with the NCI CTC AE Version 4.0.
- Objective response rate (ORR) [ Time Frame: from first dose up to progressive disease or EOT due to any cause, assessed up to 1 year] ]using RECIST v 1.1
- Disease control rate (DCR) [ Time Frame: From first dose up to progressive disease or EOT due to any cause, assessed up to 1 year] ]using RECIST v 1.1
- Pharmacokinetic profiles of Fruquintinib combined with Paclitaxel [ Time Frame: From first dose up to day 15 in the first 28-day cycle ]PK sampling of Fruquintinibwill include a pre-dose and 1,2,4,8,24 hours time-point at Day 2 and day 15 of dosing in the first 28-day cycle; PK sampling of Paclitaxel will include a pre-dose and at 0.25,1,2,4,8, and 24 hours time-point on day 1 and day 15 of dosing in the first 28-day cycle
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02415023
|Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center|
|Guangzhou, Guangdong, China, 510060|
|Hutchison Medi Pharma Investigational Site|
|Beijing, China, 100142|
|Hutchison Medi Pharma Investigational Site|
|Shanghai, China, 200032|