A Study of Multiple Doses of Nusinersen (ISIS 396443) Delivered to Infants With Genetically Diagnosed and Presymptomatic Spinal Muscular Atrophy (NURTURE)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02386553|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : March 12, 2015
Last Update Posted : May 3, 2023
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Spinal Muscular Atrophy||Drug: Nusinersen||Phase 2|
Expanded Access : An investigational treatment associated with this study is no longer available outside the clinical trial. More info ...
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||25 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||An Open-Label Study to Assess the Efficacy, Safety, Tolerability, and Pharmacokinetics of Multiple Doses of ISIS 396443 Delivered Intrathecally to Subjects With Genetically Diagnosed and Presymptomatic Spinal Muscular Atrophy|
|Actual Study Start Date :||May 18, 2015|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||January 27, 2025|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||January 27, 2025|
Nusinersen administered as an intrathecal injection
Solution for intrathecal injection
- Time to death or respiratory intervention [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]The time will be the age of the participant at the first occurrence of either a respiratory intervention or death. Respiratory intervention is defined as invasive or noninvasive ventilation for ≥6 hours/day continuously for 7 or more days OR tracheostomy.
- Percentage of participants developing clinically manifested spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) [ Time Frame: At 13 and 24 months of age ]
- Percentage of participants alive [ Time Frame: At 13 months, and 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 years of age ]
- Percentage of participants who attained motor milestones assessed as part of the Hammersmith Infant Neurological Examination (HINE) [ Time Frame: At 13 and 24 months of age ]
- Percentage of participants who attained motor milestones as assessed by World Health Organization (WHO) criteria [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Change from Baseline in the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Infant Test of Neuromuscular Disorders (CHOP INTEND) motor function scale [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Change from Baseline in Hammersmith Functional Motor Scale - Expanded (HFMSE) [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Change from Baseline in weight for age/length [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Change from Baseline in head circumference [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Change from Baseline in chest circumference ratio [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Change from Baseline in head to chest circumference ratio [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Change from Baseline in arm circumference ratio [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Incidence of adverse events (AEs) and/or serious adverse events (SAEs) [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Change from Baseline in clinical laboratory parameters [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]Assessed by the following laboratory tests: Hematology: red blood cells, hemoglobin, hematocrit, platelets, white blood cells, white blood cell differential, Blood chemistry: total protein, albumin, creatinine, cystatin C, creatine phosphokinase, blood urea nitrogen, total bilirubin (direct and indirect), alkaline phosphatase, alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase, glucose, calcium, phosphorous, chloride, sodium, potassium. Urinalysis: specific gravity, pH, protein, glucose, ketones, bilirubin, red blood cells, white blood cells, epithelial cells, bacteria, casts, crystals
- Change from Baseline in electrocardiograms (ECGs) [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Change from Baseline in vital signs [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]Vital sign will be assessed by: temperature, pulse rate, resting systolic and diastolic blood pressure, and respiratory rate.
- Change from Baseline in neurological examinations [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2891 ]
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and plasma Nusinersen concentrations [ Time Frame: Up to Day 2801 ]
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||up to 6 Weeks (Child)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
Key Inclusion Criteria:
- Age ≤ 6 weeks at first dose.
- Genetic documentation of 5q SMA homozygous gene deletion or mutation or compound heterozygous mutation.
- Genetic documentation of 2 or 3 copies of survival motor neuron 2 (SMN2).
- Ulnar compound muscle action potential (CMAP) ≥ 1 mV at Baseline.
- Gestational age of 37 to 42 weeks for singleton births; gestational age of 34 to 42 weeks for twins.
- Meet additional study related criteria.
Key Exclusion Criteria:
- Hypoxemia (oxygen saturation <96% awake or asleep without any supplemental oxygen or respiratory support).
- Any clinical signs or symptoms at Screening or immediately prior to the first dosing (Day 1) that are, in the opinion of the Investigator, strongly suggestive of SMA.
- Clinically significant abnormalities in hematology or clinical chemistry parameters.
- Treatment with an investigational drug given for the treatment of SMA biological agent, or device. Any history of gene therapy, prior antisense oligonucleotide (ASO) treatment, or cell transplantation.
- Meet additional study related criteria.
Note: Other protocol defined Inclusion/Exclusion criteria may apply.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02386553
|Study Director:||Medical Director||Biogen|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
2014-002098-12 ( EudraCT Number )
|First Posted:||March 12, 2015 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||May 3, 2023|
|Last Verified:||May 2023|
Muscular Atrophy, Spinal
Pathological Conditions, Anatomical
Nervous System Diseases
Spinal Cord Diseases
Central Nervous System Diseases
Motor Neuron Disease