Open-label Safety and Efficacy of Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate for up to 12 Months
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02163499|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 13, 2014
Results First Posted : June 27, 2018
Last Update Posted : June 27, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Hyperkalemia||Drug: Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate||Phase 3|
Subjects with 2 consecutive i STAT potassium values 5.1 mmol/L will enter the Acute Phase and receive ZS 10 g tid for 24 to 72 hours, depending on potassium values. Once normokalemia (i STAT potassium between 3.5 and 5.0 mmol/L, inclusive) is restored (whether after 24, 48 or 72 hours), subjects will be enrolled in the Maintenance Phase to be dosed with ZS at a starting dose of 5 g qd. Potassium (i STAT and central laboratory) will be measured weekly throughout the first month of study and every 4 weeks thereafter through Month 12. During the Maintenance Phase, the ZS dose may be increased or decreased in increments/decrements of 5 g qd up to a maximum of 15 g qd or a minimum of 5 g every other day based on i STAT potassium measurements as outlined below:
• > 5.0 mmol/L while receiving 5 g qd or 5 g every other day or > 5.5 mmol/L while receiving 10 g qd: increase ZS dose in 5 g qd increments to a maximum dose of 15 g qd
.• Between 3.0 and 3.4 mmol/L, inclusive: decrease ZS dose in 5 g qd decrements to a minimum dose of 5 g every other day; if a subject's i STAT potassium value remains between 3.0 and 3.4 mmol/L, inclusive, on the ZS 5 g every other day dose, the subject will be withdrawn from the study and receive standard of care treatment.
There is no limit to the number of dose titrations allowed. Subjects will receive up to 12 months of treatment with open-label ZS.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||751 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Multicenter, Multi-Dose, Open-Label Maintenance of Long-Term Safety and Efficacy of Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate (ZS) in Hyperkalemia|
|Actual Study Start Date :||June 30, 2014|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||November 30, 2016|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||November 30, 2016|
|Experimental: Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate||
Drug: Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate
Acute Phase Dosing: Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate 10 g three times daily (TID) for 24 to 72 Extended Dosing: Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate 5 g once daily (QD). Sodium Zirconium Cyclosilicate dose increased or decreased in increments/decrements of 5 g QD up to a maximum of 15 g QD or a minimum of 5 g every other day (QOD) based on i-STAT potassium measurements up to 12 months.
Other Name: ZS
- Percent of Participants With Restoration of Normal Serum Potassium (S-K) Values (3.5 to 5.0 mmol/L, Inclusive) at the End of the Acute Phase [ Time Frame: 72 Hours ]Percentage of subjects with S-K values between 3.5 and 5.0 mmol/L, inclusive at the end of the Acute Phase - ITT Population
- Percentage of Participants With Mean S-K Values ≤ 5.1 mmol/L During Extended Dosing Phase Days 85 to 365 [ Time Frame: Study Days 85 to 365 ]Percentage of subjects with mean S-K values ≤ 5.1 mmol/L during Extended Dosing Phase - ITT Population
- Proportion of Subjects With Mean S-K Between 3.5 and 5.5 mmol/L, Inclusive Months 3 to 12 [ Time Frame: Study Days 85 to 365 ]Proportion of Subjects with mean S-K between 3.5 and 5.5 mmol/L during Extended Dosing Phase - ITT Population
- Mean S-K Levels Months 3 to 12, Months 6 to 9, and Months 9 to 12. [ Time Frame: Study days 85 to 365 ]Mean S-K levels months 3 to 12(EP Days 85, 113, 141, 176, 211, 239, 267, 295, 330, 365 and EOS),months 6 to 9, and months 9 to 12.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02163499
Show 51 Study Locations
|Study Chair:||Henrik Rasmussen, MD, PhD||ZS Pharma, Inc.|