Adipose Cells for Degenerative Disc Disease
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02097862|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 27, 2014
Last Update Posted : March 17, 2017
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Degenerative Disc Disease||Procedure: Adipose Stem Cells||Not Applicable|
This will be an open-label, non-randomized, multi-center study of ASC implantation performed intra-discally. ASCs will be derived from the patient's adipose-derived tissue. Liposuction using local anesthesia and syringe collection will be performed to collect the adipose tissue specimen for subsequent processing to isolate the stem cells.
The adipose tissue specimen will be collected from the patient's abdomen using a liposuction cannula. In addition, a sample of peripheral blood will be collected for isolation of platelet rich plasma. The adipose tissue is processed for separation of the adipose tissue-derived stem cells, which are then resuspended in platelet rich plasma and transferred for intra-discal administration. The number of cells injected will vary depending on the amount of tissue processed and the number of cells obtained from the process. Following the injections follow-up data will be collected 3, 6 and 12 months after treatment.
Total study time frame is anticipated to be approximately 6 months. This study will enroll approximately 100 patients.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||15 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Official Title:||An Open Label, Non-Randomized, Multi-Center Study To Assess The Safety and Effects of Autologous Adipose-Derived Stromal Cells Delivered Intra-Discally in Patients With Degenerative Disc Disease|
|Study Start Date :||March 2014|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2017|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||January 2017|
- Procedure: Adipose Stem Cells
Injection of adipose derived stem cells intra-discally
- Visual Analog Scale [ Time Frame: 12 months ]This is a measurement instrument that tries to measure a characteristic or attitude that is believed to range across a continuum of values and cannot be directly measured.
- Oswestry [ Time Frame: 12 months ]Low back questionnaire designed to determine how low back pain has affected your daily life.
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years to 85 Years (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Degenerative disease of one, two, or three lumbar discs with predominant back pain after conservative treatment (physical and medical) for over 6 months.
- Fibrous ring capable of holding the cell implantation, demonstrated by RMI image
- Absence of spinal infection.
- Haematological and biochemical analysis with no significant alterations that contraindicates intervention.
- The patient is able to understand the nature of the study.
- Informed written consent of the patient.
- Congenital or acquired diseases leading to spine deformations that may upset cell application.
- Spinal segmental instability, spinal canal stenosis, isthmus pathology and other conditions that may compromise the study
- Modic III changes on MRI images (31).
- More than 50% loss of height
- Females who are pregnant or nursing or females of childbearing potential who are unwilling to maintain contraceptive therapy for the duration of the study
- Life expectancy < 6 months due to concomitant illnesses.
- Exposure to any investigational drug or procedure within 1 month prior to study entry or enrolled in a concurrent study that may confound results of this study.
- Active infectious disease. Patients known to have tested positive for HIV, HTLV, HBV, HCV, CMV (IgM > IgG) and/or syphilis will have an expert consultation as to patient eligibility based on the patient's infectious status
- Any illness which, in the Investigator's judgment, will interfere with the patient's ability to comply with the protocol, compromise patient safety, or interfere with the interpretation of the study results
- Patients on chronic immunosuppressive transplant therapy
- Systolic blood pressure (supine) ≤90 mmHg or greater than 180mmHg
- Resting heart rate > 100 bpm;
- Known drug or alcohol dependence or any other factors which will interfere with the study conduct or interpretation of the results or who in the opinion of the investigator are not suitable to participate.
- History of cancer (other than non-melanoma skin cancer or in-situ cervical cancer) in the last five years.
- Active clinical infection
- Unwilling and/or not able to give written informed consent.
- Recent smoking history or substance abuse (within six weeks)
- Use of > 20 alcoholic drinks per week
- Patients on Plavix or equivalent platelet inhibitors
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02097862
|United States, Florida|
|US Stem Cell Clinic|
|Sunrise, Florida, United States|
|Responsible Party:||Bioheart, Inc.|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||March 27, 2014 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||March 17, 2017|
|Last Verified:||March 2017|
Degenerative Disc Disease
adipose stem cells
Intervertebral Disc Degeneration