Effect of CAUTI Prevention Alert - A Randomized Control Trial
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02054065|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : February 4, 2014
Last Update Posted : September 11, 2018
This study proposes to expand upon previous research by studying the effects of a urinary-catheter removal alert on duration of urinary catheter use and frequency of CAUTIs with a large, randomized controlled trial within a three-hospital academic medical center.
Hypothesis The proposed urinary-catheter removal alerts will decrease the number of catheter days and decrease the number of catheter associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs), but will not affect the catheter re-insertion rate.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Infection Due to Indwelling Urinary Catheter||Other: CAUTI Decision Support||Not Applicable|
- Specific Aim 1: Investigate the effect of a urinary-catheter removal alert on the rate of catheter associated urinary tract infections (CAUTIs).
- Specific Aim 2: Investigate the effect of a urinary-catheter removal alert on the number of catheter days.
- Specific Aim 3: Evaluate the effect of a urinary-catheter removal alert on the rate of catheter re-insertion.
- Specific Aim 4: Evaluate the effect of a urinary-catheter removal alert on overall mortality in patients with indwelling catheters.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||108 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Effect of CAUTI Prevention Alert - A Randomized Control Trial|
|Actual Study Start Date :||February 2014|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 2015|
No Intervention: Control
Normal care conditions, no computer-based physician alert.
Experimental: CAUTI Decision Support
Decision support aimed at preventing Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTIs)
Other: CAUTI Decision Support
Decision support used to prevent Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections
- Number of CAUTIs [ Time Frame: One Year ]
- Number of catheter days [ Time Frame: One year ]
- Rate of catheter re-insertion [ Time Frame: One Year ]
- Patient mortality due to CAUTI [ Time Frame: One year ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02054065
|United States, New York|
|Montefiore Medical Center|
|New York, New York, United States, 10467|
|Principal Investigator:||Jason S Adelman, MD, MS||Albert Einstein College of Medicine|