Alisertib and Gemcitabine Hydrochloride in Treating Patients With Solid Tumors or Pancreatic Cancer
|Acinar Cell Adenocarcinoma of the Pancreas Duct Cell Adenocarcinoma of the Pancreas Recurrent Pancreatic Cancer Stage III Pancreatic Cancer Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer Unspecified Adult Solid Tumor, Protocol Specific||Drug: alisertib Drug: gemcitabine||Phase 1|
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: No masking
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Phase I Study of the Combination of MLN8237 and Gemcitabine in Advanced Solid Tumors With Emphasis on Pancreatic Cancer|
- Dose-limiting toxicity (DLT) defined as any related (possibly, probably, or definitely) grade 3 non-hematological toxicity or any attributable grade 4 toxicity graded according to the National Cancer Institute (NCI) CTCAE version 4.0 [ Time Frame: Up to 21 days ]
- Incidence of adverse events graded according to NCI CTCAE version 4.0 [ Time Frame: Up to 30 days after completion of treatment ]Toxicities observed at each dose level will be summarized in terms of type (organ affected or laboratory determination such as absolute neutrophil count), severity (by grade and nadir or maximum values for the laboratory measures), time of onset (i.e. course number), duration, and reversibility or outcome. Frequencies will be reported, with exact 95% confidence intervals. Tables will be created to summarize these toxicities and side effects by dose and by course.
- Response rate according to Response Evaluation Criteria In Solid Tumors (RECIST) 1.1 [ Time Frame: Assessed up to 2 years ]Survival will be summarized with Kaplan-Meier plots to describe the outcome of patients treated on this protocol. Median survival time will be estimated using standard life table methods.
- Progression Free Survival [ Time Frame: Assessed up to 2 years ]Summarized with Kaplan-Meier plots. Median survival time will be estimated using standard life table methods.
- Maximum-tolerated dose (MTD) defined as the maximum dose level at which less than 2 patients experience DLT graded according to NCI CTCAE version 4.0 [ Time Frame: 21 days ]
|Study Start Date:||August 2013|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||December 2018|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||December 2017 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Treatment (alisertib, gemcitabine)
Patients receive gemcitabine hydrochloride IV over 30 minutes on days 1, 8, and 15 and alisertib PO BID on days 1-3, 8-10, and 15-17. Courses repeat every 28 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Other Names:Drug: gemcitabine
I. To investigate the feasibility and safety of MLN8237 (alisertib) when given in combination with gemcitabine (gemcitabine hydrochloride) to patients with advanced solid tumors.
I. To determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of MLN8237 when given in combination with gemcitabine to patients with advanced solid tumors and to recommend a phase II dose for the combination.
II. To obtain preliminary evidence of efficacy as judged by response rate and progression-free survival for this combination.
III. To investigate the pharmacokinetics of MLN8237 given in combination with gemcitabine in an expanded cohort of patients with pancreatic cancer.
OUTLINE: This is a dose-escalation study of alisertib.
Patients receive gemcitabine hydrochloride intravenously (IV) over 30 minutes on days 1, 8, and 15 and alisertib orally (PO) twice daily (BID) on days 1-3, 8-10, and 15-17. Courses repeat every 28 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed up periodically.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01924260
|United States, California|
|UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|Sacramento, California, United States, 95817|
|Principal Investigator:||Karen Kelly||UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center|