CSPPT- Chronic Kidney Diseases Study (CSPPT-CKD)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01871740|
Recruitment Status : Withdrawn (The sponsor and the PIs both agreed that the CSPPT-CKD should be a sub-study of the CSPPT insted of an independent randomized trial.)
First Posted : June 7, 2013
Last Update Posted : January 20, 2016
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Hypertension Hyperhomocysteinemia||Drug: Enalapril maleate and folic acid tablets Drug: Enalapril maleate||Phase 4|
Elevated blood concentration of homocysteine (Hcy) has been suggested as a modifiable, independent risk factor for coronary artery disease, stroke, and deep vein thrombosis. Prevalence of hyperhomocysteinemia and folic acid deficiency in China are significantly higher than those in Europe and USA. The investigators' preliminary research demonstrated that blood concentration of Hcy was negatively correlated to estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR), a key index of kidney function. However, the question as to whether Hcy-lowering therapy with folic acid can reduce the risk of chronic kidney disease(CKD) remains to be answered.
This study, exploiting the hypertensive population of CSPPT trial (ClinicalTrials.gov register number: NCT00794885), is intended to compare the effects of enalapril maleate and folic acid tablets versus enalapril maleate in preventing renal function decline among the patients with primary hypertension. The results from this trial may have the potential to transform current clinical and public health findings into practice in the prevention of chronic kidney disease(CKD) in China.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||0 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Enalapril Maleate and Folic Acid Tablets for Prevention of Chronic Kidney Diseases in Patients With Hypertension: a Double-blind Randomized Controlled Trial|
|Study Start Date :||May 2008|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||June 2014|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||August 2014|
Experimental: Enalapril maleate and folic acid tablets
A fixed combination drug is given. The dose is fixed in enalapril 10 mg / folic acid 0.8 mg per day.
Drug: Enalapril maleate and folic acid tablets
Enalapril maleate and folic acid tablets, (10mg/0.8mg)/tablet, taken orally and once daily for a maximum of 5 years. Combination with other anti-hypertension drugs are allowed.
Active Comparator: Enalapril maleate
Enalapril maleate 10 mg per day is given
Drug: Enalapril maleate
Enalapril, 10mg/tablet, taken orally once daily for a maximum of 5 consecutive years. Combination with other anti-hypertension drugs are allowed.
Other Name: Lameiya(Yabao Pharmaceutical)
- Renal function decline [ Time Frame: Serum creatinine was examined at baseline and at the final visit (5 years) of the trial. ]
Renal function decline was defined based on one of more of the following :
(1) A certain drop in eGFR, was defined as a drop in GFR category (≥90[G1], 60-89[G2], 45-59[G3a], 30-44[G3b], 15-29[G4], <15[G5] ml/min/1.73m2) accompanied by a 25% or greater drop in eGFR from baseline; (2) Rapid progression, was defined as a sustained decline in eGFR of more than 5 ml/min/1.73m2/yr.
- Average decline rate in eGFR (ml/min/1.73m2/yr). [ Time Frame: Serum creatinine was examined at baseline and at the final visit (5 years) of the trial. ]
- New-onset chronic kidney disease based on eGFR（eGFR<60 ml/min/1.73 m2） [ Time Frame: Serum creatinine was examined at baseline and at the final visit (5 years) of the trial. ]
- New-onset albuminuria [ Time Frame: Albuminuria was examined at baseline and at the final visit (5 years) of the trial. ]
- A composite of renal events. [ Time Frame: Every 3 months during the trial, up to 5 years ]The composite endpoint is consisted of: 1)End stage renal disease (ESRD);2)Doubling of serum creatinine; and 3)Renal disease-induced death.
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||45 Years to 75 Years (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- BP≥140/90 mmHg in both of the two screening visits or currently under anti-hypertension treatment;
- 45-75 years old;
- Successful determination of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T genotype;
- For pre-menopausal women, agreed to use contraceptives during the trial;
- Signed the written informed consent.
- Having a history of stroke;
- Having a history of myocardial infarction;
- Having a history of physician diagnosed heart failure;
- Post- coronary revascularization;
- Severe somatic disease such as cancer;
- Secondary hypertension;
- Congenital or acquired organic heart diseases;
- Contraindicated to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEI);
- Having a history of ACEI adverse effects;
- Currently long-term use of folic acid or vitamin B12 or vitamin B6;
- Pregnant or child breastfeeding women;
- Severe mental disorders;
- Lab tests indicating abnormal liver or kidney function;
- Unwilling to participate the trial;
- Unwilling to change the current antihypertensive treatment.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01871740
|Anqing Branch, Anhui Institute of Biomedical Research|
|Anqing, Anhui, China, 246000|
|Lianyungang Center for Advanced Research in Cardiovascular Diseases|
|Lianyungang, Jiangsu, China, 222003|
|Principal Investigator:||Fanfan Hou, MD||Division of Nephrology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University|
|Principal Investigator:||Xin Xu, MD||Guangdong Provincial Institute of Nephrology|
|Responsible Party:||Shenzhen Ausa Pharmed Co.,Ltd|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||June 7, 2013 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||January 20, 2016|
|Last Verified:||January 2016|
Renal function decline
Chronic kidney disease
MTHFR C677T genotype
Randomized controlled trial
Renal Insufficiency, Chronic
Amino Acid Metabolism, Inborn Errors
Metabolism, Inborn Errors
Genetic Diseases, Inborn
Vitamin B Deficiency
Vitamin B Complex
Physiological Effects of Drugs
Molecular Mechanisms of Pharmacological Action
Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitors