A Study of Tadalafil for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01865084|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (The study is being terminated for lack of efficacy)
First Posted : May 30, 2013
Results First Posted : March 1, 2017
Last Update Posted : March 1, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Muscular Dystrophy, Duchenne||Drug: Tadalafil Drug: Placebo||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||331 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Phase 3 Trial of Tadalafil for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy|
|Study Start Date :||September 2013|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 2016|
Placebo taken orally once daily.
Other Name: Administered orally
Experimental: 0.3 mg/kg Tadalafil
0.3 milligram per kilogram (mg/kg) tadalafil taken orally once daily.
Experimental: 0.6 mg/kg Tadalafil
0.6 mg/kg tadalafil taken orally once daily.
- Change From Baseline in Six Minute Walk Distance (6MWD) in Meters [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 48 ]6MWD measured the distance in meters a participant was able to walk in 6 minutes. The study used 6MWD procedure modified specifically for use in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), including standardized verbal encouragement at specific intervals to maintain attention to the test, and use of a "safety chaser" to walk behind the participant during testing (McDonald et al., 2010a). The LS mean (LSM) change from baseline, standard error was derived using mixed model repeated measures (MMRM) methodology with factors for pooled country, treatment, visit, treatment-by-visit interaction and baseline 6MWD as a covariate.
- Change From Baseline in the North Star Ambulatory Assessment (NSAA) Global Score [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 48 ]The NSAA is a functional scale specifically designed for ambulant boys with DMD that can provide additional information on motor functions important in maintaining normal ambulation and other activities important to everyday life. The NSAA is a 17-item evaluation of standing, ability to transition from lying to sitting, sitting to standing, and other mobility assessments. Each of the 17 items is evaluated on an ordinal scale of 0, 1, or 2, with higher scores reflecting better performance on the assessment, for a total maximum score of 34. This score was transformed to a 0 to 100 scale for the key analysis (referred to as linearized), with higher transformed scores reflecting better performance.The LS mean (LSM) change from baseline standard error was derived using mixed model repeated measures methodology (MMRM) with factors for pooled country, treatment, visit, treatment-by-visit interaction and Day 1 value as baseline covariate.
- Change From Baseline in Timed Function Tests in Seconds [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 48 ]Timed function tests included time it took to rise from floor, walk 10 meters, ascend 4 stairs, and descend 4 stairs.The lower the time in seconds taken, the better the performance. The LS mean change from baseline, standard error, was derived using mixed model repeated measures methodology (MMRM) with factors for pooled country, treatment, visit, treatment-by-visit interaction and Day 1 value as baseline covariate.
- Time to Persistent 10% Worsening in 6MWD [ Time Frame: Baseline through Week 48 ]Time on study until the 6MWD becomes 10% less than the baseline 6MWD and continues at that level or lower until the end of study.
- Time to Persistent 10% Worsening in Timed Function Tests (TFT) [ Time Frame: Baseline through Week 48 ]
Time on study until the TFT becomes 10% worse than the baseline TFT and continues at that level or lower until the end of study. The time to persistent 10% worsening is the observed time after baseline until the first observed timepoint where their time used for the TFTs is >110% of the baseline time and all the time values observed afterward are also >110% of baseline. If the participant discontinues prior to experiencing persistent worsening, this outcome for the participant is censored at the date of discontinuation of the double-blind period.
Only participants with complete evaluable data were analyzed. Complete evaluable data was defined as having baseline measurement, complete dates at evaluable visits and a post-baseline measurement at each evaluable visit.
- Change From Baseline in Pediatric Outcomes Data Collection Instrument (PODCI) Scores [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 48 ]PODCI includes a Global Functioning Scale and 5 core scales:Upper Extremity and Physical Function,Transfer/Basic Mobility, Sports/Physical Functioning, Pain/Comfort,and Happiness.The Global Functioning Scale is the mean of the mean scores from 4 of the 5 core scales (all except the happiness core scale).The following PODCI scores were prespecified in the protocol for analysis: Global Functioning, Upper Extremity and Physical Function,Transfer/Basic Mobility, and Sports/Physical Functioning. The Global Functioning Scale and each of the core scales were standardized so that a score of "0" represents a poor outcome/worse health, while "100" is the best possible outcome/best health (i.e., complete range of each score is 0 to 100, with higher scores representing better functioning). The LS mean (LSM) change from baseline,standard error was derived using MMRM with factors for pooled country, treatment, visit, treatment-by-visit interaction and baseline PODC scale as covariate.
- Pharmacokinetics (PK): Apparent Clearance (CL/F) of Tadalafil [ Time Frame: Weeks 4, 12, 24 and 36: -1 Hour up to 24 Hours Postdose ]The data reported are population estimate and inter-patient variability.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01865084
Show 62 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Call 1-877-CTLILLY (1-877-285-4559) or 1-317-615-4559 Mon - Fri 9 AM - 5 PM Eastern time (UTC/GMT - 5 hours, EST)||Eli Lilly and Company|