PEGPH20 Plus Nab-Paclitaxel Plus Gemcitabine Compared With Nab-Paclitaxel Plus Gemcitabine in Subjects With Stage IV Untreated Pancreatic Cancer (HALO-109-202)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01839487|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 25, 2013
Last Update Posted : October 18, 2018
To compare the treatment effect of PEGPH20 combined with nab-paclitaxel and gemcitabine (PAG) to nab-paclitaxel and gemcitabine (AG) in subjects with Stage IV pancreatic cancer.
The Phase 2 will study safety and treatment effect in 237 subjects (2:1 randomization, PAG:AG), preceded by two run-in phases (the first to assess safety and tolerability and a second to assess a new formulation of PEGHP20), 16 subjects total (randomized 3:1).
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer||Drug: PEGPH20+nab-paclitaxel+gemcitabine Drug: nab-paclitaxel + gemcitabine||Phase 2|
Phase 2, multicenter open-label randomized study with two run-in phases. The first run-in phase was to evaluate safety and tolerability of PEGPH20 + Nab-paclitaxel + Gemcitabine vs. Nab-paclitaxel + Gemcitabine. A second run-in phase was to evaluate a new formulation of PEGPH20.
Phase 2 will be an open-label randomized study with same study drugs evaluating safety and efficacy.
- Subjects must have newly diagnosed stage 4 untreated metastatic pancreatic ductal cancer diagnosed by a standard of Care CT scan within 20 days of dosing and meet all inclusion/exclusion criteria.
- Treatment consists of 4 week treatment cycles with Week 4 of every cycle, a wash-out week. In Cycle 1, PEGPH20 will be administered twice per week with Nab-paclitaxel + Gemcitabine given once/week 2-4 hrs after PEGPH20 and nab-paclitaxel + gemcitabine alone
- Safety parameters include medical history, physical exams, adverse event and Concomitant med collection, Doppler and CT scans for thromboembolic events, prophylactic enoxaparin, Karnofsky Performance scale, Immunogenicity, Hematology, Chemistry, coagulation, Weight/body surface area (BSA) for dosing, ECG and pharmacokinetics (PK) and Hyaluronan (HA) catabolite levels. Efficacy parameters include standard of care CT scans, CA19-9, tumor analysis of HA.
- Subjects continue in study until disease progression, adverse event/toxicity, death or either the subject/sponsor discontinues the study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||279 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase 2, Randomized, Multicenter Study of PEGPH20 (PEGylated Recombinant Human Hyaluronidase)Combined With Nab-Paclitaxel Plus Gemcitabine Compared With Nab-Paclitaxel Plus Gemcitabine in Subjects With Stage IV Previously Untreated Pancreatic Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||April 2013|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||May 2018|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||September 2018|
PEGPH20 3ug/kg + nab-paclitaxel 125 mg/m2 + gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2. PEGPH20 given IV x2/week for Cycle 1 and weekly for Cycle 2 and beyond. Nab-paclitaxel and gemcitabine given IV x1/week for 3 weeks for all cycles.
Active Comparator: nab-paclitaxel + gemcitabine
nab-paclitaxel + gemcitabine x1/week
Drug: nab-paclitaxel + gemcitabine
nab-paclitaxel 125 mg/m2 + gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2 given IV x1/week 3/4 weeks per cycle
- Estimate the PFS duration of PEGPH20 combined with NAB plus GEM [ Time Frame: 12 months ]
- To evaluate the thromboembolic events in subjects treated in the PAG arm [ Time Frame: Ongoing ]
- Estimate relative benefit of PAG treatment vs. AG treatment, as assessed by the PFS ratio [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- Estimate relative benefit of PAG vs AG treatment as assessed by the PFS hazard ratio based on subject tumor-associated HA levels [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- Estimate ORR as defined by RECIST 1.1 of PAG treatment and the relative benefit of PAG treatment vs AG treatment [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- To estimate the OS duration of PAG treatment and the relative benefit of PAG treatment vs AG treatment, as assessed by the OS hazard ratio. [ Time Frame: 16 months ]
- To evaluate the safety and tolerability profile of PAG and AG treatment groups [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- To characterize the plasma PK of PEGPH20 when given in combination with NAB + GEM [ Time Frame: Various visits and timepoints ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01839487
Show 51 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Dimitrios Chondros, MD||Halozyme Therapeutics|