Bioimpedance Spectroscopy for the Differential Diagnosis of Hyponatremia
|Study Type:||Observational [Patient Registry]|
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Target Follow-Up Duration:||6 Months|
|Official Title:||Bioimpedance Spectroscopy for the Differential Diagnosis of Hyponatremia|
- Accuracy of volume status measured by bioimpedance spectroscopy [ Time Frame: Six months ]
Overhydration (OH) measurement by Body Composition Monitor (Fresenius Medical Care)
Negative values of "OH" indicating Hypovolemia and positive values for hypervolemia in hyponatremic patients.
- Laboratory data and echocardiography [ Time Frame: 6 Months ]
LABORATORY MEASUREMENTS Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, White blood cell count Platelet count, Na, Potassium, Chlorur, Urea, Creatinine, Uric acid, Plasma osmolality, Urine osmolality, Alanine transaminase , Aspartate transaminase , Urine specific gravity,
- Intravenous hydration by isotonic saline
Left ventricular end-diastolic diameter, Left ventricular end-systolic diameter, Ejection fraction(%), Left Atrium diameter, Aortic diameter, Right atrium diameter, Interventricular septum, Posterior wall thickness, Mitral insufficiency, Pulmonary insufficiency, Systolic pulmonary artery pressure, Tricuspid insufficiency
|Study Start Date:||February 2013|
|Study Completion Date:||September 2013|
|Primary Completion Date:||August 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Negative values of "Overhydration" measured by Bioimpedance spectroscopy
Positive values of "Overhydration" measured by Bioimpedance spectroscopy
- Up to now, "Hyponatremia" differentially diagnosed by physical examination, plasma and urine osmolalities, Echocardiography and biochemical measurements.
- The purpose of this study is to determine whether bioimpedance spectroscopy can be used for the detection of hypovolemia and hypervolemia for the differential diagnosis of hyponatremia.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01838759
|Bulent Ecevit University Hospital|
|Zonguldak, Turkey, 67300|
|Study Chair:||Ender Hur, Assoc.Prof.||Bulent Ecevit University Medical School, Division of Nephrology, Zonguldak, Turkey|