Pharmaceutical Care in VA Nursing Home
Recruitment status was: Active, not recruiting
This study investigates the effect of pharmaceutical care on a Veteran nursing home. 100 patients will be selected into this controlled study.The hypothesis are:
- After patients receive pharmaceutical care, their drug related problems will be decreased.
- After patients received pharmaceutical care, their self-reported medical expenditure will be decreased.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Case Control
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||The Impacts of Pharmaceutical Cares on the Elderly in a VA Nursing Home.|
- potential inappropriate medication (PIA) [ Time Frame: one year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- drug items used [ Time Frame: one year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]the controlled group is expected to have less drug items used.
- medical expenditure [ Time Frame: one year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]subjects self-reported outpatients visit, hospitalization, drug, and healthy supplemental used.
- quality of life measure [ Time Frame: one year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]use health outcome measure, EQ-5D, to assess the quality of life issue.
|Study Start Date:||April 2013|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||December 2015|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||July 2015 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Veterans do not receiving pharmaceutical care
Veterans receiving pharmaceutical care
Other: Pharmaceutical care
pharmacists provide pharmaceutical care to the intervention group, comparing to ordinary care in control group
Around 200 residents in a Veteran nursing home will be selected for reviewing inclusion and exclusion criteria. A total of 100 subjected are selected into this randomized controlled trial. Each group will have 50 subjects and then divides into 4 subgroup, according to their drug items used (5-7 and over 8 items used).
The inclusion criteria:
- Residents of the Veteran nursing home.
- over 65 years old.
- complete comprehensive geriatric assessment (CGA)
- prescription drugs more than 4 times/day, excluding stat order.
- with 2 or more chronic diseases.
1. residents who were in the pharmaceutical care project of Taiwan Pharmacists Association.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01823757
|Changhua Domiciliar Center|
|Changhua City, Taiwan|
|Principal Investigator:||Wen-Shyong Liou, PhD||Taichung Veteran General Hospital|