Pharmaceutical Care in VA Nursing Home
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01823757|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified August 2014 by Taichung Veterans General Hospital.
Recruitment status was: Active, not recruiting
First Posted : April 4, 2013
Last Update Posted : August 28, 2014
This study investigates the effect of pharmaceutical care on a Veteran nursing home. 100 patients will be selected into this controlled study.The hypothesis are:
- After patients receive pharmaceutical care, their drug related problems will be decreased.
- After patients received pharmaceutical care, their self-reported medical expenditure will be decreased.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Focus on the Elderly in a Nursing Home||Other: Pharmaceutical care|
Around 200 residents in a Veteran nursing home will be selected for reviewing inclusion and exclusion criteria. A total of 100 subjected are selected into this randomized controlled trial. Each group will have 50 subjects and then divides into 4 subgroup, according to their drug items used (5-7 and over 8 items used).
The inclusion criteria:
- Residents of the Veteran nursing home.
- over 65 years old.
- complete comprehensive geriatric assessment (CGA)
- prescription drugs more than 4 times/day, excluding stat order.
- with 2 or more chronic diseases.
1. residents who were in the pharmaceutical care project of Taiwan Pharmacists Association.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||100 participants|
|Observational Model:||Case Control|
|Official Title:||The Impacts of Pharmaceutical Cares on the Elderly in a VA Nursing Home.|
|Study Start Date :||April 2013|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||July 2015|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 2015|
Veterans do not receiving pharmaceutical care
Veterans receiving pharmaceutical care
Other: Pharmaceutical care
pharmacists provide pharmaceutical care to the intervention group, comparing to ordinary care in control group
- potential inappropriate medication (PIA) [ Time Frame: one year ]
- drug items used [ Time Frame: one year ]the controlled group is expected to have less drug items used.
- medical expenditure [ Time Frame: one year ]subjects self-reported outpatients visit, hospitalization, drug, and healthy supplemental used.
- quality of life measure [ Time Frame: one year ]use health outcome measure, EQ-5D, to assess the quality of life issue.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01823757
|Changhua Domiciliar Center|
|Changhua City, Taiwan|
|Principal Investigator:||Wen-Shyong Liou, PhD||Taichung Veteran General Hospital|