Stories to Educate Patients With Ankle, Foot, and Knee Injuries
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01810523|
Recruitment Status : Withdrawn (The study was stopped due to methodological issues that require additional consideration prior to resuming the trial.)
First Posted : March 13, 2013
Last Update Posted : August 22, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Injury||Behavioral: Narrative Behavioral: Control||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||0 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Outcomes Assessor)|
|Primary Purpose:||Health Services Research|
|Official Title:||Comparative Effectiveness of Descriptive Versus Narrative Emergency Department Discharge Instructions for Patient Education on Unnecessary Testing for Ankle, Foot and Knee Injuries|
|Study Start Date :||March 2013|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||June 2013|
This arm will receive information regarding leg injuries and X-ray usage in narrative form in addition to standard of care discharge information.
Narrative form as described above.
Placebo Comparator: Control
This arm will receive a blank piece of paper in addition to the standard of care discharge information.
Blank piece of paper
- Patient Satisfaction [ Time Frame: 5 minutes after intervention ]
To measure patient satisfaction, we will use a validated survey instrument. The survey asks patients 5 questions, which they answer by providing responses on a 5-point scale ranging from "Poor" to "Excellent." The questions include:
- My satisfaction with the amount of time spent with me by the person who evaluated and treated me was....
- The explanation I received of how my illness should be treated was...
- The way the health care provider treated me was...
- My overall satisfaction with my visit was...
- Your care provider determined that you did not need an X-ray for your injury. What is your level of satisfaction with that decision?
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01810523
|United States, Pennsylvania|
|Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania|
|Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, 19104|