Adjuvant Effect of Chloroquine on Gemcitabine
The recruitment status of this study is unknown because the information has not been verified recently.
Verified January 2013 by University of Zurich.
Recruitment status was Recruiting
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
University of Zurich
First received: January 23, 2013
Last updated: January 28, 2013
Last verified: January 2013
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the safety by defining the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of Choloroquine when combined with Gemcitabine, and to evaluate preliminary efficacy of combined systemic Gemcitabine and Chloroquine. In addition, the influence of the treatment on the anti-cancer immunity and the value of GOLPH2 as serum marker for pancreatic cancer will be assessed within a translational objective.
- Trial with medicinal product
||Endpoint Classification: Safety Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
||Gemcitabine Combined With Chloroquine in Patients With Metastatic or Unresectable Pancreatic Cancer. A Dose Finding Single Center Phase I Study
Primary Outcome Measures:
- Maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of orally administered Chloroquine with concomitant intravenous Gemcitabine. [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
| Estimated Enrollment:
| Study Start Date:
| Estimated Study Completion Date:
| Estimated Primary Completion Date:
||December 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
Experimental: Chloroquin in addition to Gemcitabine
Gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2 i.v. at days 1, 8, 15 of every 28-day cycle. Chloroquine 100 mg, 200 mg or 300 mg (according to dose level) p.o. at days 2, 9, 16 of every 28-day cycle.
Addition of Chloroquine to Gemcitabine
Other Name: Nivaquin
Other Name: Gemzar
|Ages Eligible for Study:
||18 Years and older
|Genders Eligible for Study:
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:
- Histologically or cytologically confirmed non-resectable locally advanced or metastatic adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. Assessment is done within 21 days before enrolment.
- Age = 18 years
- Adequate liver function or kidney function tests, including any of the following: Bilirubin < 2 x ULN, Alanin-Aminotransferase (ALT) < 5 x ULN, Alcaline phosphatase < 5 x ULN, Estimated creatinine clearance > 40 ml/min (using the Cockroft formula)
- Adequate haematological values: Haemoglobin > 80 g/L, Leukocytes >3.00 g/L, Neutrophils > 1.00 g/L, Platelets > 100 g/L
- Written informed consent
- Biliary decompression is mandatory before inclusion into the study in case of bilirubin levels > 50 µmol/L.
- Women who are not breastfeeding and are using effective contraception if sexually active, who are not pregnant and agree not to become pregnant during the 12 months thereafter. A negative pregnancy test before inclusion into the trial is required for women of childbearing potential, defined as having not reached the menopause, last menstrual period occurred less than 12 months ago, no surgical sterilization performed, and fallopian tubes and/or uterus have been not surgically removed.
- Men who agree not to father a child during participation in the trial or during the 12 months thereafter.
Patient compliance and geographic proximity allow proper staging and follow-up. Patient not eligible for FOLFIRINOX treatment. WHO PS 0-2
- Life expectancy < 3 months
- Severe medical or psychiatric co-morbidity prohibiting the planned treatment or the giving of informed consent
- Any prior chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer, including adjuvant chemotherapy.
- Any prior radiotherapy or combined radio-chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer if completed less than 12 months prior to study inclusion.
- Known hypersensitivity to trial drugs or hypersensitivity to any other component of the trial drugs.
- Known glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Concurrent use of other experimental drugs, treatment within a clinical trial within 30 days prior to trial entry.
- Active heart disease defined as congestive heart failure > NYHA class 2
- Past or current history (within the last 2 years prior to treatment start) of other malignancies except basal or squamous cell carcinoma of the skin or in situ carcinoma of the cervix
- Inability or unwillingness to comply with the study protocol
- No understanding of the german language
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the Contacts provided below.
For general information, see Learn About Clinical Studies.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01777477
|University Hospital Zurich, Department of Oncology
|Zurich, ZH, Switzerland, 8091 |
University of Zurich
||Panagiotis Samaras, MD
||University Hospital Zurich, Department of Oncology
No publications provided
||University of Zurich
History of Changes
|Other Study ID Numbers:
|Study First Received:
||January 23, 2013
||January 28, 2013
Additional relevant MeSH terms:
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this record on March 26, 2015
Digestive System Diseases
Digestive System Neoplasms
Endocrine Gland Neoplasms
Endocrine System Diseases
Neoplasms by Site
Anti-Inflammatory Agents, Non-Steroidal
Central Nervous System Agents